Author Topic: I'm sure you all heard about it now...(Boston)  (Read 16765 times)

Tanklet

• Boss
Re: I'm sure you all heard about it now...(Boston)
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 10:21:10 PM »
I think that this feels more like it was the work of our howmgrown bunker-building militia nutjobs - not only do the bombs seem to be more low grade and amatuer than you'd expect from an international group,

According to various news reports, pressure cookers have been used overseas as well.

the significance of the date also seems more likely to have been chosen by an internal enemy, as it'd fit their perverted mindset perfectly - an overseas enemy would be way more likely to target July 4th.

This would be an inaccurate assumption. International terrorists groups spend time & money studying the US, to get to know us and our history better than we even know it ourselves

Foreign terrorist bombs can be just as amateur.  Everything depends on the knowledge of the person who's making them, and the materials they have on hand. 

Pretty much this...

But, basically, until something's said to the definitive contrary, I'm going along the lines of some sick youknowwhat.
After the fire/shooting in western NY, can't rule anything out.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 10:23:14 PM »
Foreign terrorist bombs can be just as amateur.  Everything depends on the knowledge of the person who's making them, and the materials they have on hand.

Yep... improvised weapons are typically the way to go for international terrorists, and have been even before we started ramping up security (e.g. using a jumbo jet as a missile). First they have to get into the country, and it's a lot easier to evade detection if they A. Don't have to cross the border with any of the necessary materials, and B. Can get the materials without having to purchase anything that is regulated. This is why devices made from common household items are so popular amongst rioters. Everything needed to make them can be purchased without raising any eyebrows.

an overseas enemy would be way more likely to target July 4th.

Uhh... why? We always up security around national holidays. Why would someone risk their plans getting foiled by attacking when we're expecting it?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
foreign or domestic or mixture of both or neither, they are still a terrorist in my book, who ever did that bombing.
There is no particular source or look of a terrorist. It;s that act that make a terrorist a terrorist all the way from that Rudolph guy of Atlanta 1996 to Bin Laden to the local gangsters shooting up innocent kids in their neighborhood . Scum.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 10:42:58 PM »
foreign or domestic or mixture of both or neither, they are still a terrorist in my book, who ever did that bombing.
There is no particular source or look of a terrorist. It;s that act that make a terrorist a terrorist all the way from that Rudolph guy of Atlanta 1996 to Bin Laden to the local gangsters shooting up innocent kids in their neighborhood . Scum.

This ... pretty much this..

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »
What really worries me about the pattern we've been seeing in the past few months, is that if ANY of these attacks are influenced by the current state of the nation, then we're going to be seeing more and more attacks by very intelligent people.

This has been my theory about the recent spike in 'well-calculated' massacres anyhow.

Extreme mental cases aside, most of our happiness is rooted in a couple of key things, namely companionship, and security. And in terms of security (I don't just mean life threats), we're in a very bad spot now with the economic troubles. Traditionally, people who were well educated didn't have much to worry about when it came to financial security. Now that we're entering a time when you can end up jobless, poor, and homeless, no matter how educated you are, that means we have a lot of VERY smart people who are experiencing far more stress than anyone ever could have imagined. So now all those VERY smart people are teetering on the edge of insanity.

So, I guess you could say we're turning into a nation of Super-villains waiting to happen. But I'm use that term loosely. I don't want to insult any of the red-siders.  :P

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »
What really worries me about the pattern we've been seeing in the past few months, is that if ANY of these attacks are influenced by the current state of the nation, then we're going to be seeing more and more attacks by very intelligent people.

This has been my theory about the recent spike in 'well-calculated' massacres anyhow.

Extreme mental cases aside, most of our happiness is rooted in a couple of key things, namely companionship, and security. And in terms of security (I don't just mean life threats), we're in a very bad spot now with the economic troubles. Traditionally, people who were well educated didn't have much to worry about when it came to financial security. Now that we're entering a time when you can end up jobless, poor, and homeless, no matter how educated you are, that means we have a lot of VERY smart people who are experiencing far more stress than anyone ever could have imagined. So now all those VERY smart people are teetering on the edge of insanity.

So, I guess you could say we're turning into a nation of Super-villains waiting to happen. But I'm use that term loosely. I don't want to insult any of the red-siders.  :P
True villany has more class than this.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2013, 11:22:02 PM »
You want a tin foil hat theory.  It's a lure.  It's to get a bunch of politicians in one place and then do something very unexpected but very bad.

Yea, it sounds like a bad movie/tv plot.  What can I say, I saw both the GI Joe movie and Olympus has Fallen in the last two weeks.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2013, 11:29:26 PM »
I wish the 24 Hour News Networks would stop cycling through Pundits that have no information and just shut up about the attacks until there's something to actually report rather then speculate on.

CBS This Morning had on the "Mayor of 9/11" Rudy Giuliani (Seriously, how a man can turn a tragedy into a career is kinda sickening) for 10 minutes and for 10 minutes he talked about nothing of relevance. Just mentioned 9/11 and then how he was there for the London Bombings.

I'd pay good money for all of them to shut up for awhile.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »
I wish the 24 Hour News Networks would stop cycling through Pundits that have no information and just shut up about the attacks until there's something to actually report rather then speculate on.

Remember the Kennedy plane crash? 24/7 broadcasts of blurry boat silhouettes in dense fog at maximum zoom.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2013, 11:47:55 PM »
Eh, I think Balloon Boy was the greatest fiasco of 24 Hour News...mostly because if it weren't for the youngest boy outing the family on Wolf Blitzer, they would have got away with it (for a little while longer, anyway).
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 07:11:26 AM »
Remember the Kennedy plane crash? 24/7 broadcasts of blurry boat silhouettes in dense fog at maximum zoom.

I remember.  Still like to know the Romani family that laid the curse on the Kennedys cause you can't argue with the results.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 03:13:58 PM »
I'm more inclined to go with GG on this one. The techniques that are coming to light are similar to ones used by insurgents in Afghanistan, but that could be as much because the person(s) who built them saw it while over there. The timing (the same week as the anniversaries of Waco and OK City, not to mention the recent rash of attacks on law enforcement) also seems to point to a domestic source. I'm completely arm chair quarter backing, but it reminds me more of an IRA bombing than anything we've seen from al Qaeda.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 03:20:10 PM »
I think people are overlooking the most obvious cause of the timing in the search for a reason to blame some ideology or group, rather than waiting to see what depraved monster did this and see justice done to them.

That most obvious bit of timing is: they chose to target the Boston Marathon. It was on Monday, April 15, this year. Thus, they did it that day, this week. If there were more message to it, somebody would have released a statement by now claiming credit and trying to terrorize us into complying with their motive.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
I think people are overlooking the most obvious cause of the timing in the search for a reason to blame some ideology or group, rather than waiting to see what depraved monster did this and see justice done to them.

That most obvious bit of timing is: they chose to target the Boston Marathon. It was on Monday, April 15, this year. Thus, they did it that day, this week. If there were more message to it, somebody would have released a statement by now claiming credit and trying to terrorize us into complying with their motive.
mcVeigh did not release a statement, and he chose the ATF office in Oklahoma City on this day for a reason.

Statements are by organized groups. This is smelling more like a lone wolf.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »
Certainly, nothing that we are idly speculating here is as bad as the things that are pointedly not being said on the 24 hour news stations. Honestly, if it weren't for the gravity of events, I would think seriously about taking a shot every time Wolf Blitzer says that they "don't want to speculate." It's probably bad enough that I'm even bordering on joking about it.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »
AP and CNN are both reporting that a suspect has been placed under arrest.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 06:25:17 PM »
I had really been starting to wonder, "Are there no security cameras in that area?"

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 06:46:21 PM »
Now CNN's saying they're getting conflicting info about whether or not an arrest has been made.  The chaos continues.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
Now CNN's saying they're getting conflicting info about whether or not an arrest has been made.  The chaos continues.

Maybe someone said cardiac arrest and the vultures jumped the gun.

Dear CNN: My use of the word "gun" does not mean you should assume that guns were involved.

Edit: OK, now it appears that the FBI has custody, not the police. Why that would mean no arrest has been made, I don't know. Some kind of technicality with federal law-enforcement vs. local?

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 06:53:47 PM »
The lack of any claim of responsibility is also suspicisous - international groups are rarely successful, so when they do finally manage to pull something off, there are usually competing claims of responsibility. Silence suggests that whoever did it thought that the significance of the location and the date would be enough to get their "message" accross.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com