Author Topic: Anyone around from Champion server?  (Read 22997 times)

Ultraamann

• Minion
Re: Anyone around from Champion server?
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2014, 06:50:07 PM »
Holy zombie thread Batman!

Always fun to see a few familiar names.

Myrmydon

• Minion
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »
Get ready for the Taskforce runs if we don't get our data back, U.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2014, 01:03:23 AM »
I had some villains on Champions. My favorite was Sebastian Collins. He was a homage character based on Barnabas Collins who was working his way through Pretoria.

My home server was Liberty and i sort of used Champion as a storage spot. But Sebastian was home grown there and so I decided to move all my villains there and create an SG there for them. That is still on my to do list. I know red-side was pretty dead, but that won't bother a vampire!

Hope to paint the town red (with blood).
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Neutrio

• Minion
  • Omega neutrinos! Defend us!
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2014, 01:11:35 AM »

<snip> ... I have yet to find a great community like the one from Champion server.

Indeed ... I had started out on Champ (it was the first in the list).  I created an Eng/Eng blaster [Purple Lantern -- later gen'd & renamed Cosmic Purple].  I was such a noob (CoH was the first MMO I ever played) that at about level 12, I abandoned him as he kept getting pawn'd by everything & I felt like he had the Glass Jaw of Hit Me Right Here Attraction.

I decided that I wanted the ability to heal myself (I don't think here was any self heal at that point or at least at those low levels other than green pills) & made what would be my main, an Emp/Rad defender [Neutrio] and he seemed to at least be able to heal himself enough to get me outta most of the trouble I got into & I slogged through those level bands (some were pretty tough) to about level 33.

I was starting to consider quitting CoH (FF was turning out to be a lot tougher to play in) when I met the leader [Jayle] of what would be the SG [ - Heroes Inc. - ] that I was to join (she invited me there on the spot by the fountain in FF next to Numina -- I must have seemed clueless (I was).  I didn't have a clue what I was getting into or what an SG was.  I'm lucky & happy she invited me.  Then, I met Stark Fist shortly after & he helped me become less of a noob - ever so thankful he did as the game got factorially more fun to play & the game really opened up for me at that point.

Even at that time, I wasn't aware of any of the channels in the game other than the standard ones & our SG one.  Then I happened to come across a comment someone made about joining the "Champion BMT" channel -- though I think it had a different name at that time.  At that time, I was really becoming quite the Badge Whore :) and was lucky someone invited me to that (not sure if that was Cobalt Azurean).  From there, the game really expanded for me.

While there was some significant drama in the early years due to some of the more ardent populous -- such as Lord Stryker & his plethora of Stryke-Force SGs ... man that guy stirred up a lot of hate towards him & his guildies -- I really felt like Champ was a good, helpful, mostly polite & friendly place to hang your cape & cowl.  Perhaps that was only true inside the Champion BMT channel & a couple of others I was fortunate to be a part of.  I didn't really use local or broadcast chat -- usually disabled that in a new MyChat tab I made on every toon.

I have read in one of the HMTF threads that several people felt Champ was an elitist community & for things like iTrials, only invite people who were +3 or other types of restrictions.  Perhaps they ran afoul of what I hope was a small group of such TF leaders.  There were some iTrials that you couldn't really do anything in if you didn't have a certain level of +'s.  Most of the ones I participated in and/or lead would usually let you in if you weren't at the + level the trial was designed for - provided they had enough people with the designated +'s or higher.  I know I did that for the ones I led (mostly MoDD).  Especially folks like Amygdala & Viking Queen (I know there were many more, just can't think of names as good being 2 years out).

The Champion player community's helpfulness & teamsmanship was the part of the game that I miss so much & what, IMHO, made CoH so superior & cherishing and which created such devoted players.  No other game has been able to capture that (at least to me -- I ventured off to WoW, SWTOR, NWN, ESO, CO, etc.)  To me, that is what the "spirit" of the game is to me.

I did try out every other shard & had a toon on almost all of them -- there was one server where pretty much everyone I ran into had negative things to say about either my character, play style or something else they felt was wrong.  I delete the toon & left that one toonless just so I would know not to create a toon there again for a while -- never did get back to that shard.

Anyway, sorry for making this a TL:DR post.  I just wanted to say thank you to all of those who helped me out both as a noob & as a mature hero.

Neutrio

• Minion
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2014, 01:48:05 AM »
<snip> ... I know red-side was pretty dead, but that won't bother a vampire!

Hope to paint the town red (with blood).

Sadly, it was.  I liked the Brute & Corrupter ATs (sort of the reverse powerset of their hero counterparts).  I really can't explain why the villain side was cricketsville a fair amount of time.  For me, it just didn't "feel" right.  Maybe I was spoiled by playing on the blue side for so long or perhaps I'm just not very "villainy". :)  My blue side SG created a red side SG [ - Villians Inc. - ] ... yes, it was purposely misspelled ... and hardly any of our SG created toons & joined it.

The most we ever got to go red side was when about 6 of us decided to create a chicken themed "flock" [I was a corrupter named The Chicken Lich] ... we had a good time for a while & caused quite a few eyebrow raises & groans -- especially when we would use our battle cry's :)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2014, 01:49:49 AM »
I decided that I wanted the ability to heal myself (I don't think here was any self heal at that point or at least at those low levels other than green pills) & made what would be my main, an Emp/Rad defender [Neutrio] and he seemed to at least be able to heal himself enough to get me outta most of the trouble I got into & I slogged through those level bands (some were pretty tough) to about level 33.

Almost a perfect match for your story- my first 50 was an emp/elec defender after my elec/elec blaster was summarily deleted at level 26 - debt capped. I was so ignorant - I thought that the list of enhancements that a power could take were the enhancements that I was supposed to put in it.

So, each power had an accuracy, a damage, a recharge, an end redux, an end mod and a range. And then..I got Zapp. I couldn't figure out how to get the seventh slot for Reduce Interrupt Time....

26 levels ( I may have figured out the 1 acc 5 damage norm at level 24 - can't really recall.) of blasting - literally as an ignorant schmuck. lol.
Thank goodness for Mids and a few folks who shared with me their vast knowledge about slotting.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Neutrio

• Minion
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2014, 03:35:27 AM »
<snip>

So, each power had an accuracy, a damage, a recharge, an end redux, an end mod and a range. And then..I got Zapp. I couldn't figure out how to get the seventh slot for Reduce Interrupt Time....

<snip>

Was that pre- or post-ED?

It was only after ED that I really spent any significant time wrestling with enhancements -- very probably why my toons had so many problems :)

By then, I had mostly missed out on the whole 6-slotting funness :(

I didn't start using Mids until about 6 months before lights out.  I knew about it.  Had it installed even.  Just couldn't figure out how to use it. :)

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2014, 05:50:25 AM »

Sadly, it was.  I liked the Brute & Corrupter ATs (sort of the reverse powerset of their hero counterparts).  I really can't explain why the villain side was cricketsville a fair amount of time.  For me, it just didn't "feel" right.  Maybe I was spoiled by playing on the blue side for so long or perhaps I'm just not very "villainy". :)  My blue side SG created a red side SG [ - Villians Inc. - ] ... yes, it was purposely misspelled ... and hardly any of our SG created toons & joined it.

Er, I don't think it was purposely mispelled, in fact I recall the guy that grabbed the name on behalf of the group (unfortunately I forget his name) was rather upset when someone noticed the mispelling. Granted, by the time anyone noticed the base had already been fairly well established so everyone just sort of ran with it...

The most we ever got to go red side was when about 6 of us decided to create a chicken themed "flock" [I was a corrupter named The Chicken Lich] ... we had a good time for a while & caused quite a few eyebrow raises & groans -- especially when we would use our battle cry's :)

Those chicken runs were a lot of fun. I still have a few screenshots of it.
Spoiler for Hidden:

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2014, 12:21:07 PM »

Was that pre- or post-ED?

That was pre-ed. Issue 3, I bought myself the game as a Christmas present to myself. Had never heard of it before. Didn't even know it was an MMO until I got an invite into an SG by some random character.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »
I can't wait until I see the Champion server's websites active again.  I personally will be redoing the Pillars of Might website (I have already started), and with Myr's permission I will help give B.O.S.S.' site a facelift.  I intend to make a section honouring all the past players and group from Champion.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2014, 03:49:21 PM »

Well, if Champion makes a return, I'll be glad to hook up with your group. I solo a lot, but I would love to do the red side strike forces at least once. My global is (and hopefully will be) MWRuger & MWRuger2. But if it doesn't - We'll always have Paris. We'd lost that until Ironwolf gave us New Efforts (If you can parse out that shoutout then it will say a lot about you!)

AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Neutrio

• Minion
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2014, 12:53:51 AM »
I can't wait until I see the Champion server's websites active again.  I personally will be redoing the Pillars of Might website (I have already started), and with Myr's permission I will help give B.O.S.S.' site a facelift.  I intend to make a section honouring all the past players and group from Champion.

Thanks for bringing that up.  I am going to have to go revamp the HI site -- http://heroesinc.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=21942&TabID=199004

Neutrio

• Minion
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2014, 01:03:34 AM »
Well, if Champion makes a return, I'll be glad to hook up with your group. I solo a lot, but I would love to do the red side strike forces at least once. My global is (and hopefully will be) MWRuger & MWRuger2. But if it doesn't - We'll always have Paris. We'd lost that until Ironwolf gave us New Efforts (If you can parse out that shoutout then it will say a lot about you!)

This?:

I was a Libertine as well! I played generally from 10 PM to 2 AM on weekedays and Sunday afternoons! @MWRuger was my global.

It would be great to do Redside stuff since I really did very little there - mostly badge whoring with my Blueside toon & a little with some of my short(-lived?) VG folks.  I never did any of the SFs. :(

Neutrio

• Minion
    • Heroes Inc
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2014, 02:48:05 AM »
<snip>

Those chicken runs were a lot of fun. I still have a few screenshots of it.
They were indeed quite fun.  FYI ... in the 1st pic, I'm the one in the back with the spikey sho-mo-mo-pads & Valkyrie ears :)
I can't find any screenies from that period ... I seem to recall a hard drive failure at one point ... maybe they all went to bit heaven.
Oh ... and the person you were trying to thing of is Annihilatorr -- he had to settle for an extra r for his global because someone else had already taken it -- then he changed it to some dragon name.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »
Nah, it wasn't Anni/Xlaxx, 'twas someone else. But wuddeva'.

jessejame

• Underling
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2018, 09:19:49 AM »
Hey y'all, my main was  Sgt. Jessejame wp/ss tank (50+2) leader of the heroes sg. I hope someone sees this and if you recognize me hollar. I'll post some pictures incase you remember faces better.  I'm specifically looking for these players: Will Smashya, Kalasin(global Wildcat) absoulutezero I think is how he spelled it. Vulkan whose son also played on another server. And Karina. The last two would remember me by Generic355something. An old ar/Dev blaster that used to be my main. when the game went down all contact was severed and these were some of my best teammates as well as friends. But due to life some did not log in, in time to heed the dire warning so if anyone knows them let them please know an old teammate and friend is looking for them and hasn't forgot.

Cobalt Azurean

• Underling
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2019, 02:12:41 PM »
Bump. Find us in the City of Heroes discord in the reconnect-champion channel.

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2019, 05:39:47 AM »

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2019, 01:52:35 PM »
Hey all...fyi I am Ryukira on Discord, you'll see me pop in and out of the server chat there. Also @nicoliy for my global on the server.

Mjericho82

• Underling
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2019, 06:46:46 PM »
My "mains" were on Champion and Freedom.  Evervescence, Mother Night, and Blazesun.