Author Topic: What are you playing now? Share with everyone  (Read 151112 times)

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
Re: What are you playing now? Share with everyone
« Reply #220 on: March 09, 2016, 02:52:21 PM »
Unfortunately nothing. I tried The Secret World for a good run, 3 or 4 months, but completely burnt out on it and will probably never go back. It's rich and entertaining, but the story arcs are very linear and the powers very holy-trinity so repeatability is almost zero. And the end game is nothing but repeating dungeons to grind for gear (which you can then only use to go back to the same dungeons and do slightly better) -- no thanks.

I just finished my Bachelors degree, so I'm going to be very bored very soon. I can't start on my Masters until 2017 when I get more tuition reimbursement.

huang3721

• Minion
  • Hi there!
« Reply #221 on: March 10, 2016, 12:03:03 AM »
I am playing Clash of Clan.

Does it count? :P
Has it been three years already? Oh wait.. four, no no, five?

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #222 on: March 10, 2016, 07:18:43 AM »
Currently playing a Europa Universalis 3 campaign as the Netherlands (started out as Utrecht). Buncha' epic wars against France and colonized much of Asia and Africa, good times.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #223 on: March 10, 2016, 07:44:11 AM »
I picked up Marvel Heroes again and have been playing the crap out of it. Got two of my middles up to 60. I love the fact that you get an XP boost for every hero above 30, 50, and 60 (up to 200% with lots of mid/high level heroes). The more, higher level heroes you've got, the better XP boost...so leveling each new hero takes less and less time. More time spent doing fun things in the high levels, where you have a lot more options (both for your character & for content). I've actually got a decent number of max levels, maybe 10, considering I don't play obsessively (unlike my husband who has like 25 60s, not including running Wolverine to 60 3 times (called "prestige levels") (and each time you prestige a character it takes longer to get to 60) to change the color of his name in chat/display).

They recently added a new chapter to the story, and it opens a new patrol zone that has fantastic loot and constant events/boss spawns. And the new story chapter is *hard*...a fantastic change from the faceroll of the previous nine chapters.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #224 on: March 11, 2016, 03:19:25 AM »
So, I finally got pathetic enough in my search for a CoH replacement that I decided to try WoW.

That's the game that is the gold standard?  The one with more players than any other?  Seriously? 

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #225 on: March 11, 2016, 04:01:57 AM »
"Used to be", sure. Though mostly they got so big because the Warcraft name has/had a built-in name recognition, so it blossomed fast, then "hey, I have XYZ friends playing, might as well play" made it go "viral" before that was an internet term.

Now there's such a breadth of mechanics/themes/styles/etc, there's really no such thing as 'the gold standard'.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2016, 08:32:27 AM »
Yeah, a lot of what made WoW huge was less the strength of the game itself and more the recognition of the Warcraft name plus Blizzard having the resources to market the game in places where it reached people who might otherwise never have seen an MMO.

The game itself wasn't bad, sure, but if that was all it had then it would've just been a better Everquest rather than The Next Big Thing like it was for a while. I remember reading an article somewhere a few years back that had one of the original developers for WoW and supposedly that was actually their main design goal. They wanted to make 'the best Everquest there'd ever been.'

Also, for me CoH is still the gold standard as far as MMOs go.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2016, 03:29:42 AM »
I'm having a ton of fun on Outland right now. It's a beautiful Metroidvania game I've had a while but just installed. Oh and it's only a buck on Steam this week.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2016, 04:41:04 AM »
I have rediscovered the simple joy of SNK Baseball Stars on the NES.  Numerous beers were consumed in the dorm room with that game back in the day.....

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2016, 11:43:45 AM »
I have been playing Xenoblade Chronicles X.

The combat is a little simplistic..but god the game is stunningly gorgeous.

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
« Reply #230 on: March 27, 2016, 09:52:24 PM »
Doc Artz

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #231 on: March 27, 2016, 10:49:09 PM »
Did they actually say they were closing it?  I thought they just canceled the Chinese server and the expansion, but I hadn't read anywhere that it was official that it was closing.  (Rumors started to fly, but nothing official)

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #232 on: March 27, 2016, 11:43:06 PM »
As of yet they just shut down the PvP servers and transferred the characters over to the PvE servers. They did cancel the Chinese launch and fire all those developers though so the game is not far off from the chopping block.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #233 on: March 27, 2016, 11:56:22 PM »
After reading some opinions of others here, I'm going to give Black Desert Online a whirl. I'll report back later on my impressions.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #234 on: April 01, 2016, 06:44:22 AM »
When you look at the reports Wildstar is generating such little amounts even as of the end of 2015 that it's certain to be on the chopping block and the axe is likely being lifted right now.  Went ahead and read an article, http://mmos.com/news/investment-bank-predicts-grim-future-for-wildstar .  When the predictions are that bad, and NCSoft has shut down more successful games in the past, you know the bad news is immenent :/.  It's, well, NcSoft :(.

I'm not surprised.

I tried the F4 new survival mode for a bit.  I'm not impressed to be honest.  While eating/drinking/sleeping is a nice touch as is diseases and the damage is good, it's all ruined by the save changes and removal of fast travel, the pace slowed down a lot.  The inability to save anywhere makes the game unplayable to me due to my ILS issues.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2016, 08:25:52 PM »
When you look at the reports Wildstar is generating such little amounts even as of the end of 2015 that it's certain to be on the chopping block and the axe is likely being lifted right now.  Went ahead and read an article, http://mmos.com/news/investment-bank-predicts-grim-future-for-wildstar .  When the predictions are that bad, and NCSoft has shut down more successful games in the past, you know the bad news is immenent :/.  It's, well, NcSoft :(.

I'm not surprised.

I tried the F4 new survival mode for a bit.  I'm not impressed to be honest.  While eating/drinking/sleeping is a nice touch as is diseases and the damage is good, it's all ruined by the save changes and removal of fast travel, the pace slowed down a lot.  The inability to save anywhere makes the game unplayable to me due to my ILS issues.

Wait. Fallout 4 doesn't stop you from saving or fast traveling.  It just makes the enemies more difficult and increases legendary drops.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #236 on: April 03, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »
Can Your Pet?
It's an adorable game, where you get to take care of a little bird. You can name it and dress it up. You can feed and wash it. You can play with it... :)
Spoiler for Hidden:
(Do you really want to know?)
Spoiler for Hidden:
...and then you can it. ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:10:07 PM by Nos482 »
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #237 on: April 06, 2016, 12:14:21 PM »
After some consideration, I've decided to give EVE Online a go. Have only had one session of a few hours as of today, but have been doing research for a few weeks in an attempt to soften the learning curve. Somewhat interesting and different enough (for me) to keep playing further, I think. No real sense yet of how good or bad it might be as a game or as a fit for my tastes.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #238 on: April 07, 2016, 04:06:16 AM »
After some consideration, I've decided to give EVE Online a go. Have only had one session of a few hours as of today, but have been doing research for a few weeks in an attempt to soften the learning curve. Somewhat interesting and different enough (for me) to keep playing further, I think. No real sense yet of how good or bad it might be as a game or as a fit for my tastes.

EVE certainly is an acquired taste, but can be quite engrossing once one gets into it. Just be sure to embrace the sandbox for what it is and explore various avenues of play. Personally, I've mostly been running incursions lately with a bit of stealth bomber hunting on the side.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2016, 01:13:44 PM »
I should take the time to look it up, but, isn't EVE.... ancient? I seem to remember playing it like.. at least..  15 years ago and it was a pretty complex game already.

STO seems to be my new game. I'll play more CO when they finish foo-fooing with its mechanics and I don't have to nonstop re-learn how to play & retcon my toons and can instead.. just play, again.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>