Author Topic: Trademarking the word "Superhero"  (Read 2104 times)

Allotrion

• Underling
Trademarking the word "Superhero"
« on: April 26, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »
I just came across this article in my local newspaper.  I would side with the author.  I don't think DC or Marvel should have a joint trademark on the word "superhero". 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/comic-book-creator-fights-term-superhero-article-1.1327860

Thoughts?

Asha'Man

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Trademarking the word "Superhero"
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 07:27:20 PM »
This is really an old story.  I remember it being talked about back on the old forum.  And it's only the compound word superhero.  If you say super hero, it's OK.

But yeah, it's an old work and allowing it to be trademarked in the first place was just another case of government agency not doing it's due diligence and allowing it.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
Just waiting on the result of Disney's attempt at trademarking Snow White (which is public domain). If that goes through, I think we're going to see an eruption of mayhem.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 09:23:02 PM »
Just waiting on the result of Disney's attempt at trademarking Snow White (which is public domain). If that goes through, I think we're going to see an eruption of mayhem.
They can trademark THEIR Snow White, THEIR particular story, THEIR looks. They cannot lay claim to the folk tale, though.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:23:01 PM »
They can trademark THEIR Snow White, THEIR particular story, THEIR looks. They cannot lay claim to the folk tale, though.

This is more specifically the name itself, not the artwork. And the only things it apparently does not apply to is the printed word. It seems to be a backdoor version of a no-competition clause.

http://www.thetruesnowwhite.com/MORE/trademarks/Disney%20DOES%20NOT%20own%20Snow%20White.pdf

There were a LOT more available articles about this a year ago, but I can scarcely find any of them now. Hopefully that's just a coincidence.