Author Topic: So is COH finally dead?  (Read 78568 times)

Vasarto

• Boss
So is COH finally dead?
« on: May 02, 2013, 05:35:55 AM »
Well I first started on these forums quite a while ago.  However I can see that nothing is taking just yet.
Colbert would not reply to any of his snail mail or tweets. Disney ignored us. Google Play is to me not looking good since I really do not imagine them paying attention to it in any way.

I dunno. Unless we can get ourselves a cheap server and somehow build in that and rewrite the code of the game to link to that server instead of the original. I doubt we can get our game back. Its just been so long and with nothing to show for anything other then having a Character creator we cannot even really save on.

Here is what I imagine in the gloomy parts of my mind...because.
It just feels like its going no where and we will be talking about this in October and then during the one year anniversary the handful of people who will still be on these forums throwing some kind of small meaningless event that doesn't do anything or makes anyone pay attention.
Someone makes a video or picture about it and another year later no one is left and this site is shut down....the end.

So can someone say something that will cheer me up a little bit and make me not think that the game shutting off WAS the end and whatever?

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Re: So is COH finally dead?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 05:47:29 AM »
How dare you consider Unicorning here!! :P

coh is far from dead, it's a legend and legends can't die!

we will bring it back, just as we suspect statesman may some day return to us and stand in that spot in independence port once more sending us off on adventures deep into the heart of the rouge isles to stop the evil recluse!

honestly I call you a unicorn cause what you just said is what NCSoft wants to hear us say.

Well NCSoft, we aren't giving in that easily, we wont quit! I don't care if I'm the last one who cares! cause then it's the perfect time to Sue you with plan ZI Beta.

I'm like that tanker who always stays standing trying to solo and AV no matter how much of the team quits! or I'm like that blaster who goes to the hospital only to come right back!... to return to the hospital again!

don't loose heart Vasarto, Never give up! it's what being a hero is all about!

I have just been inspired, when CoH returns we need an Emote that activates when you go to the hospital or die, the emote will show you wearing lots of cast type bandages but not enough to look like a mummy, then when you move they break off and fall to the floor.

would make for quite a decent comedic loop of an animation about the role blasters play, you have been defeated, hospital for you! (casts annd then they break off) runs of screen and dies and returns with more casts. +EM /sigh :P
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:04:27 AM by Joshex »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:49:33 AM »
Games have been brought back years later.  Sadly Coh won't be coming back SOON.  To say it's dead well like all Comic heroes death is just a rest brake.

One way or another it will return.  Team Wildcard almost done with the Google proposal, we just sitting here waiting for the go ahead to flood their mail boxes with letters.

There still the private server operations.  No idea where they are at, but I have faith they are still trying.

No not dead, more like a coma.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:09:18 AM »
when coh does come back,  ill be there pulling the biggest marathon playing the game again loving every minute of it.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 11:23:15 AM »
when coh does come back,  ill be there pulling the biggest marathon playing the game again loving every minute of it.
Oh Yes!

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »

Dammit, now I'm going to dream about a CoH gaming marathon... again

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 01:45:29 PM »
I am entirely confident that CoH will eventually rise again.  I certainly don't know when or where it will pop up again, but I'm sure it'll happen.

Nature finds a way, and all that.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »
The CoX shutdown reminds me, in many ways, of the networks shutdown back in the day of a campy old sci-fi series that "nobody" cared about and no one wanted to support.  I think the name of it was Star Trek.

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
  • MWM: Programmer, UI Designer, Bases
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »
Well I first started on these forums quite a while ago.  However I can see that nothing is taking just yet.
Colbert would not reply to any of his snail mail or tweets. Disney ignored us. Google Play is to me not looking good since I really do not imagine them paying attention to it in any way.

I dunno. Unless we can get ourselves a cheap server and somehow build in that and rewrite the code of the game to link to that server instead of the original. I doubt we can get our game back. Its just been so long and with nothing to show for anything other then having a Character creator we cannot even really save on.

Here is what I imagine in the gloomy parts of my mind...because.
It just feels like its going no where and we will be talking about this in October and then during the one year anniversary the handful of people who will still be on these forums throwing some kind of small meaningless event that doesn't do anything or makes anyone pay attention.
Someone makes a video or picture about it and another year later no one is left and this site is shut down....the end.

So can someone say something that will cheer me up a little bit and make me not think that the game shutting off WAS the end and whatever?

Here is my advice. Don't listen to the post below you. Just because you're thinking critically, with reason, and being realistic with yourself doesn't and shouldn't make you a troll.

The best thing you can do is find other things you enjoy doing. CoH can't be the only thing that's ever made you happy. There are plenty of other communities and games out there for you to enjoy, and things in life you can do to better yourself.

Why sit around dreaming and wishing and hoping when you could be doing something productive with your time?

It doesn't mean you have to give up or stop coming here. There are plenty of things you can do to throw in your support.

I don't think the Titan Network is going to go anywhere for years to come, so you're wrong about that. CoH is also not dead. I don't think it ever will be.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 05:48:48 PM »
...another year later no one is left and this site is shut down....the end.

Highly unlikely. This site was around for years when most people hung out on the official forums and was a very quiet place, maybe getting a couple posts a week. Even if it went back to that it would still be running and those dedicated few would still be here.

Tony has said he has no intention to shut it down, and even in the unlikely event that he changes his mind and deletes everything in an uncharacteristic fit of rage, several of us have backup copies and space that it could be hosted on.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 06:42:35 PM »
Legal or otherwise, you will have CoH back eventually. My money is on the "otherwise" route bearing results before the legal one, which is unfortunate since some people will miss out because that route conflicts with their morals.

I feel the cause lost momentum because too much time passed waiting on Disney when it could have been better spent looking into other companies and putting together pitches just in case. Even now, it looks like we're just taking all the eggs from the Disney basket and putting them into the Google one. If another six months pass and Google says no (or nothing at all), what's the plan then?
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Surelle

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »
Legal or otherwise, you will have CoH back eventually. My money is on the "otherwise" route bearing results before the legal one, which is unfortunate since some people will miss out because that route conflicts with their morals.

I feel the cause lost momentum because too much time passed waiting on Disney when it could have been better spent looking into other companies and putting together pitches just in case. Even now, it looks like we're just taking all the eggs from the Disney basket and putting them into the Google one. If another six months pass and Google says no (or nothing at all), what's the plan then?

To be honest, the only thing that *really* matters is to first get NCSoft to agree to sell the IP.  Everything else is sort of a waste of time without the largest hurdle out of the way first.  And I still think the best way to do that would be to run some CoH "Do you want the next game closed down to be yours?" ads wherever NCSoft runs WildStar, Blade & Soul or other MMO ads.  Believe me, they would notice THAT.  And it would generate a lot of commentary both by mainstream gaming website owners and by gamers at large.

The second place for real effort that would show tangible results would be to back the reverse engineering project and help bring that to fruition.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 02:09:06 AM »
If another six months pass and Google says no (or nothing at all), what's the plan then?

I know titan network will never support my Plan ZIB, but... can I have.. please have permission to carry out plan ZIB if google = fail?

I'm not suggesting that google will say no, infact I'm suggesting they will say yes, but we can't be sure how stubborn NCSoft will be about it's descision to not sell, google might end up telling us "hey we tried, they said no, sorry we can't legally make them an offer they will accept"

PLEASE can I do my plan ZIB then TonyV? at least it will get the IP out of NCSoft's hands.. in a legal method. I.. I've been holding off cause I don't want to sabatoge TF Hail mary.

I have already talked to several lawyers concerning ZIB, they seemed hopeful. so.. yeah. just give me an opening :D titan network wont be mentioned as a conspirator, for your image's sake.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 03:21:47 AM »
I know titan network will never support my Plan ZIB, but... can I have.. please have permission to carry out plan ZIB if google = fail?

I'm not suggesting that google will say no, infact I'm suggesting they will say yes, but we can't be sure how stubborn NCSoft will be about it's descision to not sell, google might end up telling us "hey we tried, they said no, sorry we can't legally make them an offer they will accept"

PLEASE can I do my plan ZIB then TonyV? at least it will get the IP out of NCSoft's hands.. in a legal method. I.. I've been holding off cause I don't want to sabatoge TF Hail mary.

I have already talked to several lawyers concerning ZIB, they seemed hopeful. so.. yeah. just give me an opening :D titan network wont be mentioned as a conspirator, for your image's sake.

Joshex you do not need permission from anyone if you can legally get the IP out of NCSoft hands.  That is literally the one and only thing stoping CoH from coming back.  If you can do it, go do it.  Start right now  If what you say is true then please get on it.  Really that is the ONE thing that is stopping us.  Im sure we could find 10 buyers in a month once we have the IP.  However I am sorry but I don't believe that you are capable of it when no one else has been.  But please prove me wrong, I beg you to prove me wrong I would never be so happy to be wrong.

To the OP:  I don't believe the game is dead yet, like mentioned above all heroes come back in comic books.  Sometimes things just take awhile.  I am still dealing with stuff that happened 4 years ago in my life and will continue dealing with those things for another 2 years, at least.  So sometimes things just take awhile.  Get comfy, ill bring the popcorn

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 04:10:30 AM »
Nature finds a way, and all that.

@Joshex: Spare no expense.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »
- Omega Mk. V

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
Joshex you do not need permission from anyone if you can legally get the IP out of NCSoft hands.  That is literally the one and only thing stoping CoH from coming back.  If you can do it, go do it.  Start right now  If what you say is true then please get on it.  Really that is the ONE thing that is stopping us.  Im sure we could find 10 buyers in a month once we have the IP.  However I am sorry but I don't believe that you are capable of it when no one else has been.  But please prove me wrong, I beg you to prove me wrong I would never be so happy to be wrong.

To the OP:  I don't believe the game is dead yet, like mentioned above all heroes come back in comic books.  Sometimes things just take awhile.  I am still dealing with stuff that happened 4 years ago in my life and will continue dealing with those things for another 2 years, at least.  So sometimes things just take awhile.  Get comfy, ill bring the popcorn
@Joshex: Spare no expense.

great! will do, however I do it as an individual not in affiliation with titan network. (sorry need to make that clear every time due to requests from the admins)

cause no company will like a game title if the entire fan base opened a class action lawsuit to get the game IP lol, so I'll go it allone, I have some things to finish before I go to court, namely get a job and posibly take another trip to china for a bit, or edinburgh where ever my girlfriend wants me to visit.

after that I will be free to start the legal proceedings, plus that will give us time to see what google can do. I figure about 1 month and I can be sueing.

mmm this is the first time I've ever felt so anxious and on the edge of my seat to walk into a lawyers office lol, last time I talked to a lawyer and a paralegal who came into my restaurant. anyways I'll post another thread with the results of going into a lawyer's office in about a month.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 04:04:48 PM »
The only way CoH would actually "die" is if the community would give up hope

The first job I ever had was as an assistant to a financial planner. She's odd in a lot of ways, but there's a lot of wisdom in there too. And she said one thing that really stayed with me.

While her kids were growing up they had next to no money, but she made it a point to make sure the kids understood that they were broke, not poor. Because, she said, "Broke is having no money, but poor is having no hope."

A few years ago she got tired of paying someone else to rent an office, so she built her own building. Now she rents out offices to other people (and donates a large conference room to local artists and non-profit groups).

She's far from broke these days. And it's all because she refused to ever admit that she was poor.

Don't give up hope, Vasarto. We're not done yet. Big plans just take longer to realize, that's all.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 08:31:32 AM »
Personally, i am waiting for one or both of the current Plans Z to launch before CoH returns; however, I still remain confident CoH will return.  We are only now at six months, half of a year.  These things usually take time, and even six months isn't much time at all when one considers that Team Wildcard made the pitch to Disney and got us all to stand behind it.   Yeah, okay we didn't catch Colbert's interest and the Google plans may or may not pan out.  Even as we are waiting here on Titan, I feel certain the other monied interests know we want CoH back.  The Industry is not blind to us.  TonyV relayed the message the Devs sent on the recent Anniversary.  Personally, that kind of humor appeals to me, but I believe we can also hold fast to the notion that the Devs would also network in the Gaming Industry and are on our side too.  I appreciate that you are missing City of Heroes, Vasarto, but we really need to give this a lot more time like 1-2 full years at least.  So what is important is to keep hope and spirits flying while we work to get our city back!  I could tell you what I have been doing instead of gaming, but it might not be your "cup of tea" and otherwise make for really dull reading, but keep active, develop your other interests (both gaming and non-gaming interests) and remember, as annoying as it is, Patience is a virtue, a fruit of long cultivation.  Have as good a day as possible and don't let those turkeys at NCSoft or anywhere else rain on your parade.  It's not worth giving them the satisfaction, particularly since in the long run, I believe we are going to win; it's just going to take some time--no, not geologic time but time according to the business world's schedule.  /em holdtorch and Best Wishes, Vasarto!! 

[insert here my clever graphic of Captain Time-Stop frozen in a single moment of time.]
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 08:37:59 AM »

@Joshex, I just finished watching The Muppets 2011.   I hope your plan is nothing like Miss Piggy's method of securing a celebrity guest for the show!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine