Author Topic: So is COH finally dead?  (Read 78628 times)

sinister8088

• Minion
Re: So is COH finally dead?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 03:44:16 AM »
I don't know what I'm talking about.  Forget it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:14:00 AM by sinister8088 »

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 05:06:10 AM »
The CoX shutdown reminds me, in many ways, of the networks shutdown back in the day of a campy old sci-fi series that "nobody" cared about and no one wanted to support.  I think the name of it was Star Trek.

And then there's Firefly....

Sorry, I'm a glass-half-empty kind of person (most of the time). :P

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 05:34:09 PM »

Give it 20 years...  ;)

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »

They did get a movie....

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 08:28:12 PM »
These things happen at the speed of business which is light years faster than the speed of government.

TigerKnight

• Underling
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 11:05:26 PM »
I can understand from where the OP is coming from. I come up here daily to see what is going on and holding faith as hard as I can that everything that can be done to help save COH is being done to save COH. However, as of late the two main leaders of the COH campaign, TonyV and Mercedes Lackey, have fallen off the board nearly completely these last two weeks.

Now don't get me wrong. I know Ms. Lackey had a death in the family about a month ago and she's been in mourning and if she still needs more time, I can understand that. But I hope that this is only a break and not simply the end of her in this battle. In so far as TonyV, I'm just guessing real life stuff has him severely tied up at the moment but he disappeared around the same time. So if you have an army, and the first and second in command BOTH disappear, you have to believe that your army's morale is going to be shaken and I hope that one or both can return soon before the "Army" turns into a few guys playing cards around a table just hanging around to tell them  it's over when they get back.

In so far as those who stepped up in their places, I appreciate the effort. I also understand real life affects you too. However, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. People here could really use some good news or some motivational speech or SOMETHING to fight the feelings of this being the end. Something as simple as "We expect to have the proposal done...... (some time frame)" would be at least something than coming up here day after day and seeing nothing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:23:44 PM by TigerKnight »

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 09:16:22 AM »
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 02:53:21 PM »
So, silly question: is it time to start writing to Google?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 04:38:27 PM »
These things happen at the speed of business which is light years faster than the speed of government.

The speed of government depends on how widespread the outrage is, how much it will affect their re-election chances, and how much a situation affects them personally. Look, for example, how fast Congress acted to alter how the FAA was affected by the sequester, removing the flat across-the-board requirement for cuts, once air-traffic controllers began to be furloughed. The public outrage from the sudden spike in flight delays (and the inevitability of them being affected by these same delays when they flew home for the upcoming spring break) drove Congress to pass -- in mere days -- an exception granting the FAA the ability to shuffle funds around to keep ATCs working.

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 04:43:51 PM »
So, silly question: is it time to start writing to Google?

Not quite yet.

I believe the plan is to coincide it with the advertising campaign being organised elsewhere on these boards. Quinch can tell me if I'm wrong, though :)
--
@Vandellia

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 05:45:48 PM »
Well I first started on these forums quite a while ago.  However I can see that nothing is taking just yet.
Colbert would not reply to any of his snail mail or tweets. Disney ignored us. Google Play is to me not looking good since I really do not imagine them paying attention to it in any way.

I dunno. Unless we can get ourselves a cheap server and somehow build in that and rewrite the code of the game to link to that server instead of the original. I doubt we can get our game back. Its just been so long and with nothing to show for anything other then having a Character creator we cannot even really save on.

Here is what I imagine in the gloomy parts of my mind...because.
It just feels like its going no where and we will be talking about this in October and then during the one year anniversary the handful of people who will still be on these forums throwing some kind of small meaningless event that doesn't do anything or makes anyone pay attention.
Someone makes a video or picture about it and another year later no one is left and this site is shut down....the end.

So can someone say something that will cheer me up a little bit and make me not think that the game shutting off WAS the end and whatever?

Well depends on definition of death. Is it dead in the regards that we knew it right now at this moment? Is Kirk Cobain dead?

But on the other hand even ol kirk lives on through the music he released and his fans, like cox and you have nirvana tribute bands as there are said to be emulators in the works with the project zs. But unlike a person a game can revived like the Church off of pet semetary but even then Church wasn't the same depending again on what definition. He was still a cat, he still had somewhat gray fur but on the inside the cat they knew wasn't there. With cox it might come back from the dead but all that made it cox in some peoples eyes as they stated may not be the same cox as they knew it even if ncsoft took it out the grave and made it move around.

So in some definitions cox is as dead as dead can get. Other definitions its still alive and well just waiting around for a new body.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
Well depends on definition of death. Is it dead in the regards that we knew it right now at this moment? Is Kirk Cobain dead?

No, Kirk Cobain is still alive in the Nexus, unaware that he's trapped there.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »
No, Kirk Cobain is still alive in the Nexus, unaware that he's trapped there.

Now I have to reread About A Boy.

It's Kurt. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

TigerKnight

• Underling
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »
You mean like this one?  ;)

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7899.msg115677.html#msg115677

You know, not to split hairs or anything like that, but it would have probably been better to start a new topic with "It's Finished" rather than posting in an old thread that's a few pages too long.

But I'm really glad to hear it did get completed and sent out.

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »
I'll bear that in mind.

Although it hadn't been sent out, yet. We are going to tie it to the advertising campaign and website, (unless I am told any different) for a two pronged approach, and hopefully more impact. :-)
--
@Vandellia

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »
If CoH did come back, it should be for the Amiga x1000 platform.

For me, that would be the most fitting...

Sigh.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 08:02:49 PM »
Aw.  My Amiga is only a 500.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 11:59:41 PM »
Amiga 1000 FTW!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »
I found another piece to my grandfather's old Heathkit while I was doing some work in his attic, yesterday. Time to get busy on that text adventure version of the game!

RioJustice

• Underling
  • Fusion Force Legends
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 02:50:22 AM »
Joshex you do not need permission from anyone if you can legally get the IP out of NCSoft hands.  That is literally the one and only thing stoping CoH from coming back.  If you can do it, go do it.  Start right now  If what you say is true then please get on it.  Really that is the ONE thing that is stopping us.  Im sure we could find 10 buyers in a month once we have the IP.  However I am sorry but I don't believe that you are capable of it when no one else has been.  But please prove me wrong, I beg you to prove me wrong I would never be so happy to be wrong.

To the OP:  I don't believe the game is dead yet, like mentioned above all heroes come back in comic books.  Sometimes things just take awhile.  I am still dealing with stuff that happened 4 years ago in my life and will continue dealing with those things for another 2 years, at least.  So sometimes things just take awhile.  Get comfy, ill bring the popcorn

From this viewpoint it could be surmised that CoH could be brought back with frenzied anticipation in the same way as Ironman III made record profits recently.  Just an idea, but from a marketing standpoint I wouldn't wait too long...