Author Topic: So is COH finally dead?  (Read 78632 times)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: So is COH finally dead?
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2013, 01:38:40 AM »
But you wouldn't get just a video game for your six billion dollars!  You'd get to fire the management of NCSoft.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2013, 05:56:27 AM »
They might be crazy in not wanting to sell it for it any reasonable offer, but we might be the only ones crazy enough to seriously consider offering six billion dollars to buy a video game.

Six million actually.  6 billion would buy all of NCSoft.  and you still would have 5.5+ billion left over.  You could buy NCSoft, make a COH Movie.  Make a COH 2. And let people play them both for free for the forseeable future for 6 billion dollars.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »
Six million actually.  6 billion would buy all of NCSoft.  and you still would have 5.5+ billion left over.  You could buy NCSoft, make a COH Movie.  Make a COH 2. And let people play them both for free for the forseeable future for 6 billion dollars.

I suppose we could also move the entire operation to the U.S., dump all of its other projects, and rename the company "City of Heroes, Inc."

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2013, 12:07:46 PM »
They might be crazy in not wanting to sell it for it any reasonable offer, but we might be the only ones crazy enough to seriously consider offering six billion dollars to buy a video game.

I don't think anyone is seriously considering that. I'm merely observing that the entire company is for sale for roughly that price and hence there _is_ a price for the City.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2013, 06:50:33 PM »
I suppose we could also move the entire operation to the U.S., dump all of its other projects, and rename the company "City of Heroes, Inc."

We can keep the CEO around.  Demote him.  And call him Flambeux

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #205 on: November 27, 2013, 11:11:09 PM »

That's too close to becoming the thing we hate most.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #206 on: November 27, 2013, 11:31:34 PM »

yeah, that would then make it no better and actually worse than NCSOFT, the behavior that caused so much angst in this manner to begin with. Might as well keep the old company as is in that case.

And unless one of the billionaires that pull it off is one of us, keep in mind, most billionaires of the US are more ruthless than Kim could ever dream of being when running a business. Mr. Gates may look like a nice go lucky nerd, but business wise, that man is ruthless to the point that would make JP Morgan smile when it comes to business. And have no qualms with forced obsoleting old products to funnel people into new products and killing off under performing products no matter the warm and fuzzy that can be gained from keeping it alive.

Spellcaster Hana

• Minion
  • City of Heroes will always and forever be my home.
    • Hana's Deviantart
« Reply #207 on: January 07, 2014, 03:55:41 PM »

Well then call me crazy if I seriously did acquire 6 billion dollars and buy CoX or NCSoft. I think maybe, if I did have all the luck, I might actually have done something that drastic for the sake of CoX.

...Argh, I miss CoX!  :gonk:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:01:17 PM by Spellcaster Hana »
"Sometimes, crossing the line is necessary in order to move forward."
"ALL HAIL EMPEROR COLE!!!" ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
----------
My Deviantart: http://hanariblue.deviantart.com

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #208 on: January 07, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
We can keep the CEO around.  Demote him.  And call him Flambeux

To the mailroom with you Flambeux!!! *cackle* :P

In all seriousness if I ever did win a large sum of money. I'd make them an offer wiether they took it or not would be up to them. But say I offered them 50 mill (just throwing a number out there) and they turned it down. Then at the very least we'd know around what kind of numbers they'd be will to play with, if any at all......

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #209 on: January 07, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »

The thing I think would be interesting would be if someone did manage to buy the game and the simply released the code to the public so that private servers wouldn't have to worry about legal prosecution.

(Though I wonder if someone could do that as Cryptic still owns the Engine rights. NCSoft was simply giving a lifetime right to lease it.)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #210 on: January 08, 2014, 07:22:23 PM »
The thing I think would be interesting would be if someone did manage to buy the game and the simply released the code to the public so that private servers wouldn't have to worry about legal prosecution.

(Though I wonder if someone could do that as Cryptic still owns the Engine rights. NCSoft was simply giving a lifetime right to lease it.)

If I had $6 billion, I'm pretty sure Cryptic and I could work something out, I'm just sayin'.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2014, 01:45:11 AM »
I'm sure that for some amount of money, Cryptic would be happy to open source their engine.

Devil_Boy

• Underling
« Reply #212 on: January 28, 2014, 09:37:03 PM »
God I wish i could just play

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2014, 05:54:08 AM »
God I wish i could just play

+1 to that ....

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »
+1,000,000,000 to that +1
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #215 on: March 08, 2014, 07:01:01 PM »

"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2014, 01:45:06 PM »
If I had $6 billion, I'm pretty sure Cryptic and I could work something out, I'm just sayin'.

Hmm.  Tony, read the below quote from Ironwolf.

A company did offer to buy the IP and NCSoft was willing to sell it for very little. However they wanted to keep the game engine rights. The company decided the IP without the engine wasn't what they wanted.

Interesting.  I didn't know this.

Furthermore.  The deal involving 'Brian' and co. that collapsed due to some variables.

I'm guessing:

Cost.
Ownership of the engine.
Assurances of PR backfire to NC Soft.

1. Did we ever find out how much was offered in the original bid?  (Could we find out from Brian himself or anyone else privy to this meetings?)

2. The quote from Ironwolf suggests that the IP/COh game could be acquired for relatively little.  Do we know what  said company offered?  Do we even know who that company was?  Did they wish to own the engine outright?  That suggests a hurdle in their case.

3. What I'm getting at.  That being the case, could the original Paragon buyout plan be resurrected but with a lease proposal instead of owning the engine outright?

4. As for PR assurances.  Can we find out what NC Soft would want.  A start up?  A proven MMO company?  Community with proven industry leaders in it?

Lots of questions.  But I liked Iron Wolf's idea of talking to people who formally worked for NC Soft to get into their mindset and find out, maybe, what the stumbling blocks are in terms of dialogue at least.

From previous posts of yours there is a suggestion that they won't even talk about it.  That has to be frustrating.  At least if there's dialogue then we at least know what the stumbling blocks are.

What is a little odd, in the interviews I've seen, Matt Miller said he didn't know why the negotiations broke down.  Ok.  Why not?  And if he didn't.  Surely the people brokering the people who DID the negotiations DID know the reasons.  And perhaps we can focus a little fire power on getting them to speak 'off the record' about that?  Knowing the exact reasons for the deal folding from both points of view will provide clues on how to engage NC Soft from here on in.

Azrael.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:26:39 PM by Azrael »

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2014, 04:51:40 PM »
A company did offer to buy the IP and NCSoft was willing to sell it for very little. However they wanted to keep the game engine rights. The company decided the IP without the engine wasn't what they wanted.

This hasn't been verified yet and is at odds with what were originally told happened.

Ironwolf has said that his source has declined to be identified.

Basically it's just speculation right now.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #218 on: July 17, 2014, 03:05:57 AM »
OK, City of Heroes is NOT dead.
They are just doing server maintenance.
Hey, you try backing-up a DBMS to a card punch.
It takes time. ;)

Always back-up your data.