Author Topic: lost  (Read 3794 times)

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
lost
« on: May 05, 2013, 04:59:17 PM »
started an account.  have a level 1 character.   and I spawn right in the middle of the city.  surrounded by level 18 's and level 28's

my contact i have to see is sgt McAvoy or something like that who is in the middle of the level 28 area.

have not killed a thing after exploring for hours.   found a few level 7's but nothing my level.

Where the hell is the level 1 area? 

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
Re: lost
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »
Are you sure you entered the tutorial?

When you enter the tutorial, there is supposed to be rubble and a forcefield around the area. If you instead saw a jet and level 10+ players flying around, you have somehow skipped the tutorial.

You can reroll the character (save your costume in the tailor first!) or go to the power house on your map to become level 6 and start training(not recommended if new.)
Spess

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »
I made the character in 2011,  never actually played the game.

I just deleted him and remade him.  now I'm in the tutorial.   have no clue why I didn't get the tutorial with the old character.  like I said never played had no xp strange. 

Thanks for the advice.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »
I had something like this happen in City of Heroes. I logged in with a character that was over 1000 "days since last login," which meant I'd logged out before the big redesign of Atlas Park. When I logged in, he spawned inside one of the corner platforms under the statue of Atlas.

My point is, if something major was changed (which is highly likely between 2011 and now), the location data likely pointed to a different location or, in this case, equivalent location in the "real" Millennium City/Detroit, instead of the tutorial sandbox of that neighborhood. In my case, I had to ask someone with Recall Friend to team with me and "beam" me out of the pedestal. You could probably have gotten away with getting killed and 'porting to the nearest respawn location, but there's no telling where that would have been for you.

My inner troubleshooter would have wanted to try different things, just to see what would happen, but someone coming in new would probably be less inclined to poke at it, wanting to get in and play that game. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 08:27:58 PM »
still have my second character that didn't go through the tutorial

game feels kind of cartoonish.

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 09:16:30 PM »
You may have somehow found yourself in the pre-revamp tutorial, though I'm not sure how that could happen, and need to completely rebuild the character to get him out. I would say that submitting a help request would do the trick, but there is really no gm support to speak of in the game these days.

More likely, you have skipped the tutorial entirely and are in millenium city, and just need to visit the powerhouse to get an automatic level-up to 6... it's in the center of the extremely tall buildings (Ren Center) under the giant gear-looking thing.

as far as the cartoonish look, you can adjust video settings to turn off the outlines, that helps.

TriNitroToluene

• Minion
  • Triumph Server....the few, the proud, the pantless
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »
The same thing happened to me.

I had tried a couple of toons a looong time ago and never got out of the tutorial.  After the CoH shutdown, I decided to try one of those toons again and I was in the same boat as you, way too low and no way to get xp.  I just deleted and started anew as you have.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 02:30:38 AM »

as far as the cartoonish look, you can adjust video settings to turn off the outlines, that helps.

Thank you many times over for that.

didn't play my characters originally because after naming them wasn't really interested because of the too cartoonish look.

Well CoH is gone now, and I decided to suck it up and try it.   level 11 now.

can I make my own SG now?  and I take it there are bases you can go in?

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 05:10:52 AM »

didn't play my characters originally because after naming them wasn't really interested because of the too cartoonish look.

Not sure how SG creation works, but I don't believe they have SG bases. They have player "hideouts" which is like player housing that you can access your account bank, the crime computer (mission giver), and you can change your costume there.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:11 AM »

I'm in a similar boat... I'd put off trying CO for a long time, but finally caved this afternoon. 'Went with a dual-blade melee-thing, and so far she does remind me a lot of my scrappers when they were nestlings. I just hit level nine, and seem to have run into a bit of a brick wall, though.

His name is Talos.  :P
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »
I have a silver account simply because there is no possible way for me to go gold for awhile. There's some interesting options for silver players to get more out of the game, luckily for me. I'd like to get a lifetime sub because I know this is a game that will stay on my hard drive. Like it used to be with CoH..hmm..still is, as far as that goes..hehe. Someone just needs to get it back online again..  Although with the current in-game CO atmosphere one must at least ponder how long 'lifetime' is. I think CO is a great niche game like CoH and hope it stays around.

Anyway.. Some of my observations are...

The cartoony thing will go away. I had it too. Part of this is getting used to new graphics. My first reaction was "CoH chicks are moar sexah". For example. Part, is getting all the graphics tweaked just right. Some major game changers (for video), for example, are "Comic Book Outlines", "Lighting" (always set this to High if you can. or, at least try the "High" setting.. and then look at your guy/girl), "Postprocessing" On will lighten things up, and crank up antialiasing to smooth out jagged lines. I have to up the gamma some too.

The many options/combinations of how you can target and attack and autoattack mobs will need to be tweaked.. as well as how your Energy Builder fire's off.

The new tradeskilling seems to be, mostly, a waste of time/money/effort. Hope they fix that. While we're at fixing things, CO has a lot of content, but not much of it is endgame big kids fun as far as I can tell. There seem to be an over abundance of extremely weak rewards for higher level hijinks. This won't affect those with altitism so much.. Loot in general seems to be kinda weak but I do see some interesting things auctioned sometimes and amm hoping there's plenty I just haven't seen yet.

Get you a Ren Cen Teleport device for cheap in the AH or wait for it to come automatically as a reward with levels. It's kinda like having an Ouro portal. It says it has charges but it doesn't and can be used over and over.

Super Stats are worth learning more about, I think. Due to that they can majorly affect your toon's play.

I just bought two new toon slots with zen I earned from Q farming. (These last months..) Am saving up for a Free form slot next and I guess I need to find out what hideouts are all about so that'll prolly be next after that. Lairs (missions) are also something I dunno much about. I've got a 40, but I just made my first Nemesis so I dunno much about that either..

I'd be playing right now but the servers are down yet again due to the recent NWO launch...

Wait.... Server's are UP, Baby! Gotta go.. Yeah, it's no CoH but what is. One thing about CO is that it will surely have things to remind you of CoH like no other game can.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 03:41:49 AM »
While lack of anything interesting endgame won't affect alters so much, what will affect them is the lack of anything interesting to do at the start of the game.  When you start, that Purple Gang arc ("Seal da door!") is the only arc you can do.  You don't really start getting choices between arcs until level 15 or 20.

The other thing that prevented me from having the same altism in CO that I had in CoH is that characters in CoH felt extremely different right out of the box, while CO characters are all more or less identical for the first ten levels or so: one energy builder, one real attack, and maybe one passive.   They don't start really feeling different until you get into the Tier 2 and Tier 3 powers in the various frameworks.

(Also, don't expect any major changes to that.  There's only a skeleton crew working on the game, and last I read on the forums even the guy who was providing what minimal content they'd been getting recently - vehicles, event missions - was transfered off the game)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 12:17:06 PM »
According to the one dev still participating in the forums (and he doesn't seem to be involved in actual game development, sort of Hitstreak Lite), they have stuff in the works to rotate into their "On Alert" cycle. There is much hate and discontent on the forum over that being the extent of the "new" content.

Oh, and "new" lockboxes. Frankly, they're not even phoning it in.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 02:03:07 PM »
Frankly my worst experiences in CO so far have been listening to people in zone chat complain that CO isn't as good as CoH and hearing them moan that CoH is gone.  Some players feel about CO just like some did CoH. Now, Imagine if you are playing CoH and someone from CO came online after it got shut down and started moaning and also saying that CoH wasn't as good as CO. Imagine if they kept doing it for months and weren't alone.. I have a real good idea how that situation would have played out on Liberty server.

CO is no CoH. It does have similarities but it's its own game, love it or leave it.

I just hope they get their devs back and they keep the game up and going... at least until CoH comes back. And even then it'll never leave my hard drive - a go to game.

CoH had a very similar status when I was a committed EQ player and CoH just came out. CoH seemed *very* fluffy to me with it's amazing character creator and then not so much after that.. I thought CoH had a laughable level progression and mob AI/difficulty, the gear was totally lacking, and end game content was also a joke as was teaming in general, But it was a comic book game, best one out, so it stayed on my hard drive. Eventually I got into it - all that great new content right before the end came sure helped... - and was among those people who played and stayed online until the final mapserve and plan to be among the first to log back on when it's back!

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 04:21:04 PM »
Frankly my worst experiences in CO so far have been listening to people in zone chat complain that CO isn't as good as CoH and hearing them moan that CoH is gone.  Some players feel about CO just like some did CoH. Now, Imagine if you are playing CoH and someone from CO came online after it got shut down and started moaning and also saying that CoH wasn't as good as CO.

That's fair.

Going into CO with that in mind (and I did), that's why I just ignored the chat and only played solo.  (Ditto for Neverwinter thus far.)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »
I can't say I've ignored the chat and played solo. I've even engaged in some random discussions. I do team, occasionally, and I will make it back to Tanker Tuesday, one of these days. However, it's more fun to make "tribute" characters, like the Phalanx 63 (gender opposite versions) we did in our Friday night gaming session. The homages tend to get a lot of positive feedback, and they get the "I miss CoH" message across loud and clear. :)

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 03:07:42 AM »
Trailturtle was in zone chat last night. I thought that was cool especially due to all the heat the game seems to be taking lately but missed it if he brought any interesting news and had to grin when he picked only the very simplest, often frill, questions to answer. Still, I always get a kick in any game when someone on the payroll shows up to say hi and sticks around for awhile especially during a time like now when the game seems to be taking a lot of heat. And yeah, someone(s) managed to mention how things were better in CoH from gameplay down to community and even offered up their expert opinion on community building to the community manager while he was visiting zone chat.

Something that bugs me sometimes about chat mechanics in CO is that zone chat seems to rarely occur outside Millennium City and the only people using the Help channel are playing NWO. Lfg has mostly tumbleweeds. Maybe there's a global channel I'm missing but it seems like I woulda heard about it in Zone by now. Haven't been bugged enough to ask.
Some Faves: