Author Topic: Defense Soft Cap Question  (Read 5280 times)

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
Defense Soft Cap Question
« on: June 02, 2013, 01:57:10 AM »
Yo guys,

I've always manged to soft cap my builds in defense one way or another (I usually play tanks, brutes, and scrappers). 

(1) Melee, Ranged, AoE

or

(2) S/L, F/C, E,NE, (~Psionic)

I'm just curious now, which method seems to be more effective for over-all defense (if either)

I know that Melee, Ranged, AoE  provides defense to ALL attacks, as powers of all sets are one out of the three

So, if you soft cap the second method instead of the first, you're pretty much just as well off, since all opposing attack sets (S/L, F/C, E,NE) are soft capped. 

So it seems to me, either method would provide the same amount of defense just soft cap which ever method seems to be easiest.  I've always wondered but never found out for sure. Thanks guys

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
Re: Defense Soft Cap Question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
If you take it as read that a character didn't have any primary/secondary powers to boost defence, I found that the optimum method was generally to cap S/L and Ranged - so a combination of them both. This kinda covered you for most types of damage as many attacks had an S/L component in them.

The way the set bonuses were set up also made this more effective.

Writing in the past tense sucks.

:(

Cendwar

• Underling
Re: Defense Soft Cap Question
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »
The idea was that a majority of the attacks in the game were covered with two tags, normally one from each category. So like slash would have a lethal component as well as a melee component. The game would always check your defenses to see which was higher, your melee defense or lethal defense, and used whichever was highest to roll your defense chance. So yes, it doesn't matter which category you cap. That was how I learned it anyway. I do believe there were a few rare exceptions in the game that didn't have two tags on them but I can't recall what attacks they were.
Champion Server: Cendwar Dark/EM Tank - Vehement Ragefire SS/FA Brute - Desolation Within Spines/FA Scrapper - General Hoffman AR/Traps Blaster - Thoughtfire Plague FC/PA Dominator - Bash 'n Slash BS/SD Scrapper - Dream Slave - BA/EA Brute