Author Topic: I miss CoH  (Read 75429 times)

Tacitala

• Boss
Re: I miss CoH
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 04:22:46 AM »
Whenever I select the origin ' City of Heroes Going Rogue ' before creating a toon, then try to enter the Going Rogue tutorial, I end up in the Chalet.  It has happened 3 times now.

Yeah, that's where it will always take you.  I'm not quite sure why, but my guess is that it's because the Praetorian tutorial was spread across several maps.  To get to the starting map, the outdoors one, try maps/City_Zones/P_City_00_05/P_City_00_05.txt as the location.  Down in the tunnels, where you chose your alignment, should be maps/Missions/Unique/P_Tutorial/TunnelVersionOfP_Tutorial.txt

If you skip the tutorial and directly select, Loyalist will drop you off in Nova by Dominatrix's steps.  Resistance will get you a random spawn point in Imperial City.
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 04:44:57 AM »
Now that I've learned enough about the Titan Icon program to actually load into the CoH costume creator, and then load into the game and choose what map in which to run around, I finally got Nyght back to the Ski Chalet.  Oh, how I've missed the music and the yodeling there!  (and the occasional "moo"), and all the snow.

Thanks again to everyone who offered help, a terrific reminder of why this was and always will be the best MMO community.

So, here's my Holiday Greetings to one and all, and my wish that whatever Season you might be celebrating, that it's a good one, with a wonderful New Year in 2014.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 05:12:53 AM »
Yeah, that's where it will always take you.  I'm not quite sure why, but my guess is that it's because the Praetorian tutorial was spread across several maps.

It's a relic from the first version of Icon that enabled so-called "serverless" mode. There was no /loadmap command yet, so it was hardcoded (aka hacked) to load specific maps and send you to preset coordinates based on what character type you picked from the creator.

Atlas and Mercy were obvious enough, and of course the Outbreak tutorial for nostalgia (and Breakout would have been not too useful since without working doors you're stuck inside unless you use noclip). For Loyalist and Resistance I used Nova and... Imperial City I think. I didn't think anyone would really care about the Precinct Five tutorial, so I used that one to sneak in a little easter egg and send you to Pocket D instead, as it was a popular hangout.

Which of course also means the Ski Chalet (hooray for ski slopes!), as the default state of Pocket D is with the Chalet visible. Bit of trivia, but the server would actually send instructions to the client to make the chalet invisible every time you went to Pocket D out of season...

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »

From the depths of the Ski Chalet....Pocket D
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 05:21:56 PM »
i tried Icon... I cant do it..

Although I have very mixed feelings when loading into ICON, its still better than being completely shut out of the game. One thing I have noticed is, that I now have to ability to really see a lot of zone detail now that I am not being chased or harassed by NPCs, or other players in PvP zones. I can go anywhere, and take my time to look at everything.

A lot of times when I worked out in the morning [I work 12 hour night shift], I would log in and take a given character to a zone and collect all the exploration badges, move onto the next zone etc. When I got tired I would log off and go to bed. I found this activity strangely soothing; not really playing the game per se, but just flying around listening to the zone music, watching chat channels and seeing the sights. One fun game I used to play with myself was to go to Eden and see if I could get that one badge that had a line of level 50+ Devouring earth guarding it, without getting killed. They had +Perception, so the answer was usually no.  8)

The loss of CoX meant the loss of my main source of stress-relief.

At least once a week I load into ICON and just fly around. It makes me feel a tiny bit better. And as I have said before, just flying around in ICON is still more fun than any game I have tried since. Isnt that sad.

My Bane Spider, lord of all he surveys in Warburg. [p.s. Picturetrail, you suck.]

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:30:39 PM by Illusionss »

Achilles6

• Minion
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2013, 10:53:49 PM »
And as I have said before, just flying around in ICON is still more fun than any game I have tried since. Isnt that sad.

same here...nothing comes close. I'm very "meh" about any other game I try to play.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 12:03:05 AM »
I'm kinda curious, would Icon have worked when the game was still live?

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »
Thanks, folks, for the relief in knowing that the legalities have been addressed.  I might just try this out yet once my semester is over next week.

I have too much work right now to spend the rest of the night tearful over missing CoH:(

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 02:04:48 AM »
I'm kinda curious, would Icon have worked when the game was still live?

Yes, though in its current form, it would have been a pain to maintain as the code offsets would change with each patch.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 03:05:51 AM »
Just out of curiosity, how does one manage to fly when loading in through the Icon program? 

And if there any other travel powers available, how does one access them?

Is it possible to load the "Holiday Rocket Pack" and use that?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2013, 03:37:36 AM »
Press 1 to toggle flight on and off. It isn't so much a travel power as just telling the engine that you're flying (you might say it's a state of mind).

The commands and their key bindings are documented in the patch notes, but they're probably easier to find on the wiki page since they're all on one place.

See my answer to your third question here.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2014, 06:40:01 PM »
It's a fast fly too.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Inkitgee

• Underling
  • Realignment!? But I am a HERO.
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2014, 11:06:42 AM »
I think what I miss the most is just being able to play the game.  I came to CoH during the times I couldn't stand WoW and then ultimately left WoW to remain at CoH.  I was able to meet my real life friends and family there and play with them, have logical conversations with people I didn't even know... it was just nice.

Even though I have it,  I miss actually hearing the music of CoH while playing the game.  Music has to be the biggest trigger of memories for me so when I hear the melodies of Paragon, it sends me reeling and wishing I had spent more time on the game than I did. 

I also have a CoH playlist that I listened to when I didn't have the background music on so even if I hear just one song, I get a bit agitated. 

I also still have this problem... I keep asking my bud if she wants to get on City of Heroes.  I don't catch myself until after I said it and we both give a sad look.

I freaking miss that game, man!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2014, 05:20:12 PM »
Yeah, You said it. I miss my crew, my game and my characters. It really helped during a few tough times and it really would help to be able to play again.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 07:55:07 PM »
It's a fast fly too.

It's great to fly that fast.  Faster than 'Turbo' Flight I wonder? 

Cool to be able to fly over the Hollows so quickly without the dreary slowness of 1 SO slotted flight. :P

Azrael.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2014, 04:57:59 PM »
Phew...I'm still homesick.

I miss staring down from the tops of the skyscrapers around the perimeter of Atlas Park while the mysterious blimp drifts slowly by.

I miss gazing up  in wonder at the colossal statues off the shore of Peregrine Island.

I miss reflecting upon the monument erected in Galaxy City in rememberance of a fallen hero.

I miss cautiously making my way through the Night Ward, and suddenly stumbling on a little patch of brightness in the midst of eternal shadow.

I miss running up the seemingly endless gargantuan cables of a mile-long bridge on my way to save the Terra-Volta reactor.

Surprisingly, I also miss the quirky, airheaded, often hotheaded brainless verbal eruptions from the young heroine known as Flambeaux - admit it, you do too.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9k-k8609go
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:14:05 PM by LadyShin »
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »
Greetings to Illusionss, LadyShin, and everyone.  Yeah, I agree with the sentiments expressed, from things we loved to not finding other MMO's enjoyable, to finding ICON of some consolation.  I am just saying hello since it seems I only log into Titan Network sporadically now.  Still hoping though.  /em holdtorch
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 03:49:00 AM »
Another BAD first for me.  My editor wanted cover ideas for a book and for the first time in years I couldn't show a character in a landscape I thought would be appropriate (no, I'm still not able to technically handle getting into settings via icon/other...I will have to have time to follow detailed steps and make mistakes).  Yes, a first and I sure didn't like it.  :'(
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 06:41:52 PM »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 06:59:06 PM »
I am always glad when City of Heroes is mentioned in online gaming magazines.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine