Author Topic: Another thing Icon has done for me..  (Read 2700 times)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Another thing Icon has done for me..
« on: June 04, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »
is made me appreciate the city layouts a lot more.

All the time playing live I was going to some mission or store or tailor or street hunting and never really bothered to really LOOK at the city zones.

But now playing my own version of the Twilight Zone episode "Where is Everybody?" I notice a lot more billboards, music cues as you pass through the streets, a lot of the buildings themselves had great structure, plus a lot more.

I don't mind the streets being empty and no traffic but it does seem weird passing by spots where contacts or trainers should be standing and no one is there.

MisterMagpie

• Lieutenant
Re: Another thing Icon has done for me..
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 11:57:46 PM »
I've got a whole tumblr dedicated to exploring Paragon with Icon. http://seekingparagon.tumblr.com
I mean well, I swear.

Tyger

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:41:17 AM »
For me: it's the chance to explore all the zones without worrying about 'updates'.

I decided to visit 'Faultline' and 'Rikti Crash Site' once I had the map addresses. You can see the difference between the Crash Site and the War Zone without even trying. And going down to the very bottom of 'Faultline' to get the old badge marker was quite fun now that the Circle can't ravage you down there. Even taking a trip behind the dam wall was interesting. The layout was pretty well made-up before the revamp. Almost a shame it took so long for it to be used.

pmoyer

• Minion
  • Please leave a message at the sound of the tone...
    • Magnetic Terrapin Studios
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 03:57:02 AM »
For me, it's been exploring the Villain-side, Incarnate, and Task Force/Trial zones that I'd never gotten a chance to see before, given I'd only started seriously playing the last two months before closure.  And I agree about the Rikti Crash Site -- talk about devastated.  :o  They made some serious repairs between that and the War Zone, didn't they?

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:08:09 PM »
I used to spend hours just exploring zones when it was live.

Who am I kidding, "used" to spend hours exploring?  ;D

Seriously, thanks again, Codewalker.

I still don't see how 'behind' the game was graphically compared to other games. They put so much detail into what was there, especially after they introduced ultra mode. There's a number of games out there that I don't find nearly as interesting or attractive visually, regardless of so-called 'better graphics'.

Lyc~

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 03:02:37 AM »
I used to spend hours just exploring zones when it was live.

Who am I kidding, "used" to spend hours exploring?  ;D

Seriously, thanks again, Codewalker.

I still don't see how 'behind' the game was graphically compared to other games. They put so much detail into what was there, especially after they introduced ultra mode. There's a number of games out there that I don't find nearly as interesting or attractive visually, regardless of so-called 'better graphics'.

Lyc~

When I first got the game in may 2004, my pc had barely the specs to play.

Back then 512 mb memory, 64 mb video card was enough believe it or not.

I thought the game looked ok.

Then a year or so later I finally upgraded to a 512 mb card with 3d options and boy did the city look so much more alive.

I never realized how 'flat' it looked with my old card. The Respec Trial looked so fantastic. but still had horrible horrible lag 90% of the time on crowded missions or zones.

Then in late 2010 my pc finally died after upgrading it as much as I could.

Got a nice top of the line PC and could use all the settings now and the graphics blew me away even more. And to top it off I had zero lag even in Rikti mothership raids.

Then sadly once I got used to the great graphics and no lag - they pulled the plug.