Author Topic: 9 Month Anniversary Of Plan Z  (Read 3757 times)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
9 Month Anniversary Of Plan Z
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:18:34 AM »
A little something for you all. Today is the 9 month anniversary of a special day, June 5th, when the first time the idea of a Plan Z was introduced on the Titan Forums, by Titan's own Soundwave. It also is the same day that a group of people met to discuss such an idea took place, consisting of all of five people on an IRC channel. I happened to be one of those people. Who knew then, where we would be today.

Today I am looking at the field, with three solid Plan Z projects underway.

The first, and largest of them of course being the Phoenix Project. Being developed in the grande bazaar method, it is wild, chaotic, and incredibly driven. With 106 currently active members as of this morning, the Phoenix Project has made solid headway over the past several months. Despite some setbacks over engine license, we continue to push ahead, working on our innovative next-generation MMORPG.

Next we find Heroes and Villains. While with Phoenix, you find a masse of people throwing ideas together, with H&V, we find the opposite, with a singular vision dominating. As a result, H&V has continued its own progress forward with few bumps along the way.

Lastly, we have the newcomer, Valiance. This group is no stranger to MMO development, and have been laboring to convert their already developed fantasy MMORPG "Legends of Etherell" system to the purposes of PlanZ. Due to this 3-years of existing development, Valiance was able to leapfrog ahead for a technical demonstration sooner than the other two projects.

Three very capable projects, each one focusing on a different model, a different approach to Plan Z. None of them however are wrong. There is merit to all approaches. This is good, for each of these projects, as well for our community as a whole. Worst case, it means a greater chance of success for at least one of these groups. Best case, it expands our community, offering new options, and opportunities, to the greater MMORPG world. There is no such thing as a perfect solution, but right now, with PlanZ, I think we are getting not one, not two, but a trifecta approach, completely unintentionally.

It is a moment to reflect on how things have come, and to consider where things are going. It is dark, our city lights are off, but within that darkness, three new metropolis are coming together. New worlds within which to explore, to do good, or enact schemes.

For we are heroes, and this is what we do.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:56:45 PM by downix »

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
Re: 9 Month Anniversary Of Plan Z
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:29:53 AM »
i hope all 3 are very successful and it shows to ncsoft what a wonderful community that they lost.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »
Aw. Great post, Downix.

And well done, Plan Zeds ;) COH had a lot of spirit, so it figures there'd be enough of it to around for a fair few spiritual successors. Happy anniversary!
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:46:20 AM »
Very well said, downix! Happy Anniversary! Forward into a whole new universe we go! Commendations to all those driving these three plan Z projects into existence! Thank you all of you! I await anxiously the opportunity to play them all!
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 05:55:04 PM »
I think of us as more the Legacy of City of Heroes now. That's a word that has room for every permutation of a game inspired by CoH that may ever be.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 12:31:07 AM »
>.>  <.<  I claim the name Plan ZED!

Three New cities, three games related by spirit to each other! May we always stand together even if we are of different cities for we all live in a City of Heroes (and villains)!
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Siluna

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 12:31:38 AM »
I think of us as more the Legacy of City of Heroes now. That's a word that has room for every permutation of a game inspired by CoH that may ever be.

If you shorten that you get LoCoH.  ;)

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »
And that's exactly what many others think we are. For now :D

We'll show 'em.