Author Topic: Who's the culprit???  (Read 2718 times)

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
Who's the culprit???
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
I just read somewhere and this was an opinion so not a credible source like a gaming site or w/e but anyway....I read that Disney or Marvel is the "real" reason behind COX's closure?? What do you guys think about that?? I mean it is possible that one of the big companies bought NCSoft out and made them close the game and be quiet about it, would explain the lack of reason behind the closure. Also explains why we have no information thus far about it and why the devs can't even speak about it. Hmmmm......

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
Re: Who's the culprit???
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
/em tinfoil hat

Eh... no. I doubt that at all.

If anything, I expect they just failed to see the profit in continuing support of the game, so they closed it down.  That's most likely a gross over-simplification of what actually happened... but I'd be willing to bet there was little to no real conspiratorial sort of stuff going on.

Edit: the boss walked up and i hit post when i had only typed out "Eh... no." lol...oops <.< >.>
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:57:16 PM by SARobb »
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:03:14 PM »
You mean you read the forums at work?  Wait, its lunch time.  Be back in an hour.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:28:18 PM »
I've never seen or heard any evidence that supports this.  Not in private conversations, not in public news sources.  I would file it cleanly away in the "baseless rumor" department.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:35:24 PM »
I just read somewhere and this was an opinion so not a credible source like a gaming site or w/e but anyway....I read that Disney or Marvel is the "real" reason behind COX's closure?? What do you guys think about that?? I mean it is possible that one of the big companies bought NCSoft out and made them close the game and be quiet about it, would explain the lack of reason behind the closure. Also explains why we have no information thus far about it and why the devs can't even speak about it. Hmmmm......
Who knows.

The real reason is probably alot more dull and boring instead of the movie like plot of a reason of the shut down. I wouldnt be surprised if it was in reality along the line of SARobb said.

Gag order on employees fired or not is fairly common in the corporate and for that matter government world. Many companies and or products come and go in a relatively quiet manner with the only people knowing what really happened ordered to not say anything about the situation.

For example, there was a situation one time and a big meeting was called with commander orders to not say anything to the press or face either being fired (for civilians) or UCMJ for soliders. About a week and a half later the situation was aired on the news. Of course only part of the story got reported and only story available was from the commander himself and a couple of PR people with a little flipping to make it look "heroic" but in reality it was anything but. But hey the details couldnt be corrected or else that person was liable to not have a way to eat. Eat? or do the right thing? Most people will and have chose to eat in those situations. Even ex-employees, some that managed to spoke, was labeled "risk to national security" and we know how that usually end up and all but never found employment and the few taht had jobs lost those jobs even though some havent worked for the government since that "incident". And all of this and there was no signing of the paper of contract. Simply, "Commander said dont do it and that's the end of it."

In the corporate world where they have less power usually simply write up a contract that is legally binding and most people go by it even if unenforceable because in their given field whether it be gaming or construction dont want to be labeled and not get hired as the guy that will squeal when the chips are down and potentially cause harm to the company aka a liability if hired.

But thta disney/marvel thing sounds like another rumor trying to gain traction and attention. Facts. Facts are important. May not be as exciting as a rumor but facts are best. Right now we have word of the NCSoft (one side that know what's going on) that may or may not say anything and the other side that wont or rather cant say anything. I think the truth will come out eventually of exactly what happened but probably when it's all irrelevant.

And of course "i know this guy that know this guy that know this guy that once walked the dog of this guy that knew the wife of this guy that dranked wine with this lady that knew this guy that shopped at Walmart that shook hands with the CEO of ATT that knew this guy that polished the shoe of this guy that knew the secretary of the NCSoft CEO" is not fact. That is too many exchange and any kind of word gets twisted so much the more it's passed down that it rarely ever is the same original message, thus how rumors get started in lot of cases.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
Yeah I just read it and figured I'd share. It would be far fetched but I don't put it passed any of the big companies. They have proved so many times that they are; for lack of a better word "shady".

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 10:03:47 PM »
If you look back into the early posts from folks with the direct lines to higher-ups at Paragon, there was hinting of a legal entanglement to keeping the game open, but I would call this a bit of a stretch. It's not impossible, since the people who said that much were, if I recall, saying too much, and only under the cover of anonymity. I'm not looking at the posts at the moment, so I'm relying on my questionable memory of a post that was essentially hearsay. I also include this nice block of salt, because I can't find a container large enough for all the grains necessary to take this post with.

|          (  )         |
|                        |
|                        |
|____________|

;D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:05:08 PM »
Yeah I just read it and figured I'd share. It would be far fetched but I don't put it passed any of the big companies. They have proved so many times that they are; for lack of a better word "shady".

of course.

It's part of the orientation for the big whigs. They get three hour class on how to be shady, four hour class on how to hold meetings while playing golf, and two hour lessons on how to be an asshole, 30 min. asshole class available for advanced and fast trackers. And last station 1 hour class on how to be a prick. And an advanced class on how to be a prick that last 1 hour for those that got the basics down. :p

Then side classes are available like how to make the dumbest decisions and still look liek a genius.-1.5 hours
How to make money and lose money.- 1 hour
History of Enron and how to not get caught- 3.6 hours.
How to pay off senators-6 hours. (must "donate" to pass the class.)

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »
I always had in the back of my mind a question about that Marvel lawsuit settlement.  We don't have details as to what settlement they reached, but it might have contained a proviso that made it hard for them to part with it.  Perhaps a "if you sell, you'll have to give x amount to us," or something.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:17:12 AM »
Baseless rumors. Closing thread.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 03:07:30 AM »
Agge!  You're back!  And doing that Agge thing that you do!

/e happy_dance