Author Topic: A question for any techies out there  (Read 1968 times)

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
A question for any techies out there
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:08:38 AM »
Just looking for some advice. I'm thinking about getting a new keyboard because the space bar on the one I have has an annoying habit of sticking down for no apparent reason. That and in my attempts to stop it doing so I managed to break off one of the little plastic bits under it so now only half of it actually works.

Anyway.  Looking for a new keyboard, hopefully not too expensive but not some crappy cheap one. Ideally I want it to last at least the three years of almost all day every day use this one has. Anyone on these boards know more than I do about such things and could suggest one for me?

For reference, the one I have currently is a Logitech G15.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: A question for any techies out there
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 04:19:26 PM »
Do you need specialized gaming macro keys?

Would you like the clicky-clack of mechanical switches?  Not just the noise but the added resistance and feedback of a keypress.

Do you want a numerical keypad?

Do you prefer the Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDown block to be 3 across and 2 down; 2 across and 3 down; or some other arrangement including not there at all?

Did you use the G15's little digital display?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 09:44:06 PM »
http://pckeyboard.com/page/UKBD/UB40P4A

So worth it.  These are updated IBM modem M keyboards, with USB, and windows keys.  But excepting those design changes, they are the same keyboards, or so I'm told.

I am currently typing on a 1984 era designed, September 1991 manufactured date, Model M IBM keyboard.  It's a ps2 connector and doesn't have the windows key, but damn if it's not the best feeling keyboard ever, and it will be here for a few more decades at this rate... upon which, I have three more to replace it with :D 

Loud things, them buckling spring types, but man, you will never, ever, have to replace them because a key quit.  Ever.  Damn near indestructable, and you KNOW you pressed a key instead of pressing 'W' and you get 'wes' or something. :D

Love mine.

/But it's only good if you don't want anything BUT a regular ol' keyboard that'll never ever need replacing.
//Whoa... they're going for upwards of $100.  I could totally sell mine and make money.. seeing as I got 'em free.  Heh.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 02:31:51 AM »
Do you need specialized gaming macro keys?

Never used them on this one in the three years I've had it, so I doubt I'm likely to start using them now.

Would you like the clicky-clack of mechanical switches?  Not just the noise but the added resistance and feedback of a keypress.

Ideally I'd like something quiet, but I've heard mechanical switches are more reliable in general. Any truth to that? If so, I can put up with the noise.

Do you want a numerical keypad?

Ideally, yes.

Do you prefer the Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDown block to be 3 across and 2 down; 2 across and 3 down; or some other arrangement including not there at all?

As long as they're there at all, I'll be fine. The current one is 3 across and 2 down, if that helps.

Did you use the G15's little digital display?

Occasionally, but never for anything I couldn't live without. It's useful in some situations, but not essential.