Author Topic: silver AT choice question  (Read 4127 times)

blackjak

• Elite Boss
silver AT choice question
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »
I want to make a Moon Knight-like character (Batman but more punchy, you know?). I was looking at the Night Avenger AT and it is silly that it is stuck with claws. Would Fist or Master work better for him? I'm leaning toward Fist for a bit more street brawler type of action.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: silver AT choice question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:44:06 PM »
As I recall, those are all Gold ATs. Have you been farming Q or bought Zen?

I believe that I had a Fist for a brief time while I was Gold. I can recommend it, but there was a reason why I chose it to delete when I needed an open character slot for my Friday night group's alt-itis. I can't for the life of me remember what the reason was. It could have been that I just didn't like the concept of the character, irrespective of the AT.

I will say that my son, at 11 years old and no more than a few months total MMO time under his belt, kicks serious @$$ with a The Blade. I tend to like The Unleashed, but it leans more toward Jedi/Sith than Fist of Khonshu.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:09:04 PM »
Not tried either. They both look pretty great, I-want-to-playthemwise. They both have great SS choices, They both seem to have good ST & aoe. The toggles/passives/whatever that other thing is called all look very good. They both have fisty brawly looking attacks.

I'd want to try both but if I had to choose which one to try first I might lean towards Master, due to Bountiful Chi and I didn't see a heal for Fist although it has nice defensives, like the stuns. They both look pretty mean in their own way.

Con/Dex/Str sounds pretty potent. So does Dex/Str/Rec. That's one thing that kinda kills it for me with Inferno is the less than thrilling SS's.

Anyway, for what that's worth! Looks to me like you can't go wrong. If the heal doesn't matter and the attacks both fit the style you are looking for then it's probably a matter of dps vs hps.

Hopefully someone with Fist/Master can knock some stuff around for ya so you can see what it looks like to see if that's a deal-breaker/maker since that sounds pretty important to you.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 02:18:16 AM »
Yeah. That's why I asked. Took a looooong time of farming for zen to get over 1000 to buy the AT....:/ I think the Fist is less martial arts and more hitting, which would probably be more street brawler in the long run.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 02:51:29 AM »
YouTube!
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 04:13:22 AM »
That's the only thing I've seen. Seen a master ingame for a hot second but oddly no night avenger or fist. Actually went to buy the fist tonight and was 30 zen short.... :P

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 05:01:24 AM »
"Street brawler" is specifically listed in the concept examples for The Fist. I'm about 15 Zen shot of being able to buy the AT of one character that is a rebuild of one of my favorites in CoH. I'm to the point where I try to be sure to log on every 24 hours to scan the upcoming event hours for a Questionite Hour. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 05:26:19 AM »
Denied! Ouch, that's rough haha...

Hey someone in-game tonite was telling me that Fist has Bountiful Chi, too. Have to look that up again. Stuns, mad dps and a heal sound decent to me.

Buying an AT would be a tough purchase for me too. I'm saving up for a FF slot but then I guess I also have to buy all the powers I (think I) want if I don't already have them in the standard Silver AT's.

I'm a lil bit farmer at heart so I don't mind saving up the Zen and I think it's cool the ways that Zen can be earned and spent, but, that's a nail biter plunking down for an AT that you never got to try or even see in game before.

GL
Some Faves:

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »
I've decided that my first goal is the 2 AT slots for 1400Z. Much as I want to unlock that other character, I want more than just 2.

Someone, somewhere, suggested doing the first Kevin Poe mission over and over, but that got tedious for only 200Q, particularly with that gawdofull cutscene at the end, so I'm looking for other missions. Also, Q-hours...

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »
Yeah. On one hand i totally understand the exchange rate, but on the other it handicaps silvers. Meh. Beggars and all... right?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 05:10:22 PM »
If it helps, there will be a Story Q (comic and adventure pack missions) hour at 2AM GMT. That's 10PM Eastern, I believe.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »
If I had to do it all over again from the beginning I think I'd focus less on Q/Zen and more on my guys.

There are at least 2 Silver AT's I would think most people would like enough to level - if for no other reason, to learn more about the game. Once you get 1 guy leveled and geared that can buzz through alerts basically on his own, he will earn you more Q than an army of newbs.

You'll get worn down farming that Q in those lonnng mishes, or, Alerts that you can only scrape through if your team is decent or better. Whereas - logging in twice a day to collect Patil dailies on my main and then running them in a matter of minutes whenever the mood strikes, I think, is a lot easier. And every time a Nemesis alert pops up I jump all over those with my main guy (Q boxes, every time). Gravy. Nemesis Alerts are fun because you get to see everyone's Nemesis, too  : )

Wait until I get 2..3..4..? guys like this. I'm already on my way to  doing so. I've got 3 Silver AT alts that I like a lot and all can make it through alerts even with a not so great team but the team still has to be decent. For now.

Meanwhile, I'm playing toons I like, having fun, and I don't really feel left out except of course everyone holds up FF's as the Holy Grail in-game, so I must have this. However. I'll be so busy working on my guys I already have, that I probably won't even be ready for the FF slot by the time I have the Zen for it. And by then I should be a Q making macheen for whatever comes next.

I regretted getting 2 AT slots at first instead of saving up for a FF, but, now I have 4 Silver AT's that I can't get enough of and they are gonna help me get my FF, so, I'm glad I got them.

So did you get Fist?? Is he bad@ss?

(edited for wall-of-textness.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:02:31 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 01:02:21 AM »
Popped for the Fist and played him up to lvl 9 in no time. Only drawback is scrapperlock.  ;) Good damage so far. Now to save up for swinging....or character slots.... :roll: My altism knows no game boundaries...

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 05:53:59 AM »
Scrapperlock.. That sounds promising!

Fist looks hardcore. Good selection of dps and defense tools along with the right SS's. Plus you just get to smack the crap outta stuff with fists and feet and stuns and knockup.

Swinging looks fun. I wanna try that too.

I really really like acrobatics, especially on Leezard.. He looks natural hoping around like a maniac. And, of course, if you get Acrobatics you have to get Versatility and I would say you wanna have acrobatics at lvl 2. I've not tried lvl 3 but 2 does pretty good for the points and is worth it I think, especially if you're kiting, and 1 isn't quite enough.

Always liked Combat Jumping in CoH but it just wasn't quite enough and Acrobatics picks up where CJ left off so that makes me happy. SuperSpeed and SuperJump were way better in CoH. I'm gonna retcon Lee to get rid of Fly as his second travel power and opt for TP, due to there's more interesting things I can do with it and I just haven't found a need to fly in CO except on rare occasion that TP could easily cover. In CoH I *always* had to have a Raptor Pack. Right off.
Some Faves:

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 01:08:43 PM »
Athletics/acrobatics reminds me of Ninja Run, from the Martial Arts Booster Pack, which is appropriate for a Fist or Master.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »
I took athletics for now just because it feels better for the character. Cape glide sounds good but looks wonky to me. Swinging is slow and looks funny a bit for bystanders but it is fun and fits the character.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »
Ya know, I took swinging for one character where i was on the fence between that and super speed, and I really wish I'd gone the other way. The mechanic of it is wonky to get the hang of, and I just don't think it's fun enough to be worth it. Maybe if I had a character concept that really called for it. As for cape glide, I haven't tried it, yet. It's part of the acrobatics set in DCUO, and their way of doing it is kind of fun. I'll have to check it out the next time I "go Gold." :)

I spent about half an hour messing around with the surveys, last night, before I finally hit one that didn't disqualify me, for whatever reason. Made 98 Zen out of it, which is way more time-effective than what I had been doing. I'm liking the notion of leveling up and then going back to do the story missions. Trouble is, I'm at level 17 with a Behemoth, and the super villain alien dude in the "The Thing" part of Whiteout is tossing me around like an unwanted action figure, and he's white to me. I know I beat this dude with an Invincible at level 15, but I can't for the life of me remember how...

I decided to just go run some regular contact missions for a couple of levels to outlevel him. And that damned snake at the end of the first Viper story. Hate that acid-breathing so-and-so, too...

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 01:48:20 AM »
Oops I meant to say *athletics*, acrobatics heterosexual cousin. Always get those mixed up, The flying backflip from that is my favorite. Can't stand still anywhere for long before *Poing!* and it goes off on it's own.

Swinging looks cool, I've got a guy that it would fit. Too bad they don't do sales besides the 10% thing. If they had it for 50% off once in a blue moon, I'd scarf it up.
Some Faves:

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 02:16:22 AM »
...of course, now I'm thinking cape glide.... :roll:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 12:45:49 AM »
I'm at that weird place where I actually like my main guy the most and all alts are a close second, depending on mood. It's a nice place to be.

Now if they'd just fix these connection problems. I've learned more about tracert than I ever wanted to. I'm done troubleshooting. If I log on and the connection is good, great, otherwise I guess I'll just collect my dailies and try again later.

If I had a sub I'd be really, really, not happy. But I don't and I honestly wouldn't possibly be able to play without a freebie account at this time and I also think the freebie accounts are pretty great due to they don't overly gimp me, soooo I can't complain.
Some Faves: