Author Topic: [[OMGAHHHHHHFHFHGHGHGHHHHHHHHH.... ~Agge]]  (Read 7013 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Re: [[OMGAHHHHHHFHFHGHGHGHHHHHHHHH.... ~Agge]]
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 04:17:51 AM »
yes I really want to post in this topic even though it's been over 10 days. seems I ignore that red text all the time.

anyways, update.

Cause of effects;

my grandad has been physically unable to clean his house for some time, he had a special air filtering system installed so there would be no dust. and he hired a cleaning woman.

thing is, he didn't hire the cleaning lady through a maid service, one of his elderly lady friends needed some extra money and was running her own maid service. so he hired an elderly lady to do his cleaning. she could barely get on her knees to clean things below waist level, and it was obvious that her eye sight was poor, when she finished cleaning the counters were speckled with black grit.

and then the chemicals, maybe you're starting to put 2 and 2 together now, or maybe you need to read on.

The cleaning lady cleaned his house with Amonia. yeah deadly stuff if inhaled or ingested.

further more being elderly she didn;t take time to move things when she wiped everything down with a cloth soaked in amonia, so she carelessly wiped down the bags on top of the fridge with amonia.

do you know what happens to plastic bags when amonia contacts them? I'm sure most people here are smart enough to know it eats through the plastic and biodigrades it leaving behind a toxic dust-like residue both outside and inside the bag.

now you know the full story of why the bag of cornchips did what it did to my digestive tract. I am lucky to be alive.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 06:11:13 AM »
Be careful with those toxic materials.

Thousands of people die a year from eating something either contaminated with chemicals or bacteria.

I don't need you as a statistic on my spreadsheet!

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 06:41:53 AM »
I hadn't heard about ammonia being toxic by itself, or reacting with plastic. But I have heard that mixing ammonia with bleach produces something akin to World War I's mustard gas. And, since cat urine contains ammonia, you never use bleach to clean a litter box.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2013, 06:54:48 AM »
I hadn't heard about ammonia being toxic by itself, or reacting with plastic. But I have heard that mixing ammonia with bleach produces something akin to World War I's mustard gas. And, since cat urine contains ammonia, you never use bleach to clean a litter box.

Well the chemical reaction causes toxic chloramines to be released.. If excess of ammonia is used, Hydrazine in a liquid form may be created too. DO NOT SMOKE AROUND HYRDRAZINE! And it's highly toxic. Not ot mention hydrochloric acid vapor which causes the irritation to the lungs and eyes, chlorine gas (dangerous) and actually water. Now if more bleach is added to the ammonia Nitrogen Trichloride may be formed.

Ever notice how the bleach/ammonia mixture heats up by itself? Careful though there have been cases of small "explosions" creating splash. Now it you use a ammonia and sodium hypochlorite or some other purer form of chlorine-things get real interesting. Sometimes a bit too interesting so don't try it.

It depends on what the plastic is made out of. Most plastics do fine with ammonia, some cloud up and others break down but usually not due to the plastic itself but the other stuff that is used to preserve and make the plastic.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 10:39:29 AM »
Well the chemical reaction causes toxic chloramines to be released.. If excess of ammonia is used, Hydrazine in a liquid form may be created too. DO NOT SMOKE AROUND HYRDRAZINE! And it's highly toxic. Not ot mention hydrochloric acid vapor which causes the irritation to the lungs and eyes, chlorine gas (dangerous) and actually water. Now if more bleach is added to the ammonia Nitrogen Trichloride may be formed.

Ever notice how the bleach/ammonia mixture heats up by itself? Careful though there have been cases of small "explosions" creating splash. Now it you use a ammonia and sodium hypochlorite or some other purer form of chlorine-things get real interesting. Sometimes a bit too interesting so don't try it.

It depends on what the plastic is made out of. Most plastics do fine with ammonia, some cloud up and others break down but usually not due to the plastic itself but the other stuff that is used to preserve and make the plastic.

The other classic is the number of people that inadvertently blow up their toilets by using bleach and toilet cleaner, hypochlorites in bleach react with acid in toilet cleaner to make explosive oxides of chlorine.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »
Not to mention those whose combine bleach with chlorinated cleansers (ie. Comet)

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2013, 02:48:36 PM »

thing is, he didn't hire the cleaning lady through a maid service, one of his elderly lady friends needed some extra money and was running her own maid service.

My step-mom tried that for a while (save for the fact that she did a thorough job).  Like the older woman in the story (who may not be too far off from her age all things considered) she mostly relied on ammonia.  It used to be one of the go to cleaning chemical for housewives.

Th reason she got out of the doing the jobs was not knowing the bleach plus ammonia reaction- she got hired to clean up an empty house where someone had kept their (heavily flee infested) dogs in a garage while they were at work.  So she went to use ammonia to clean- but it "wasn't working" so she had to use a lot (several bottles).  Then she ran out which lead to her daughter suggesting just using a gallon of bleach rather than stop to buy more.  They had to call in the fire department (who were more than happy to explain why that was a bad idea.

Perhaps you should insure that your grandfather has someone who can do a thorough cleaning once a week.  He could keep his friend as his main "cleaning gal" and you could bring in someone to do the "heavy cleaning" so she doesn't have to.  (List washing the windows as one of those jobs- it was once a pain to clean windows so people still think of it as a horrible job to do).
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber