Author Topic: Another UPdate on The Grimmy  (Read 18363 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Another UPdate on The Grimmy
« on: July 03, 2013, 05:53:11 PM »
...the job I interviewed for just Dear John'd me via email. So, with no prospects, things are bleak. I decided a new thread was in order, rather than dredging up the dinosaur again. This community has been a major boon in getting through this rough patch, and I want to thank you all again for your sympathy, support, and understanding.

Anybody who still wants to help out, either with a private word or other ideas, I can be reached directly at my email, akukaishi@gmail.com  which is also my paypal ID for those so inclined. Some of you already have, and I am deeply touched and humbled by contributions from this community.

I am not attempting to ask for a hand out, or guilt any of you to action. You have all been wonderfully supportive during this time, and I simply want to provide a concentrated post with all the information available. Thank you all, for your kind words and genuinely caring hearts. I don't know if I could do this without you.

* DrakeGrimm hugs the entire community
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
Re: Another UPdate on The Grimmy
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »
I missed your previous thread, so give me a brief run down on where and what type of work you were looking for so I can keep it in mind if I spot an opportunity.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:44:53 PM »
DG

I went back and read your previous thread. I can feel your pain in November 2008 I was laid off from a company I had worked for 18 plus years. I was out of job for six months until I found a job that paid roughly 9 grand a year les than my previous job. It lasted from April 2009 to January 2010. Once again I was unemployed. Every day I got up and looked for work, sent out resumes, went on every interview that came along. I finally landed my current job in February of 2011 I worked 8 weeks on a contrct and in April was offered a position. You sound like a person who doesn't give up. That is the best advice I can give you don't give up don't surrender to the darkness of the situation. I told my boss during my interview that I knew someone would hire me me and when they did they wouldn't regret it. She recently left for another position and she said "I remember what you said and I've never regretted hiring you." So hang in there. On a side note the economy in Texas is stellar espescially here in Houston if you are interested in relocating.

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:34:26 AM »
I'm in a somewhat similar situation here....

Worked for the U.S. Postal Service here for close to 9 years until the Remote Encoding Center I worked in closed in early 2009, which essentially forced my re-location to New Zealand in Septmber 2009 in order to live with my then fiance'(who, despite my best efforts, never quite got into CoH...she loved the costume creator system, though), who's a native Kiwi.

Unfortunately, the job-situation didn't pan out there as well as I'd hoped, forcing my return home to Tennessee in late 2011...; since then, finding employment has been difficult at best for me, given my severely limited job skill-set....  :(

I'm inhumanly fast at 10-key and Alphanumeric data-entry(approx 9100kph at %100 accuracy at last testing a few months ago), and have a natural aptitude for being on the radio(due to what's been called a 'perfect broadcast voice' by the manager of a community radio station I volunteered for while living in NZ).

...and that's where my skills pretty much end...; I'm very ill-suited for any kind of manual labor, and effectively 95% of all sales and/or CSR positions(with the possible exception of receptionist) are right out, no thanks to my triple-crown of ADHD, Social Anxiety Disorder, and Aspergers Syndrome(I'm generally a little bundle of nerves just -waiting- for an excuse to go off in public)!   :'(

It's one reason I miss CoH so much...I was FINE interacting with people there, as the direct face-to-face factor was removed...which could also explain how I've done so well on the radio....

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 08:35:51 PM »
I'm in a somewhat similar situation here....

Worked for the U.S. Postal Service here for close to 9 years until the Remote Encoding Center I worked in closed in early 2009, which essentially forced my re-location to New Zealand in Septmber 2009 in order to live with my then fiance'(who, despite my best efforts, never quite got into CoH...she loved the costume creator system, though), who's a native Kiwi.

Unfortunately, the job-situation didn't pan out there as well as I'd hoped, forcing my return home to Tennessee in late 2011...; since then, finding employment has been difficult at best for me, given my severely limited job skill-set....  :(

I'm inhumanly fast at 10-key and Alphanumeric data-entry(approx 9100kph at %100 accuracy at last testing a few months ago), and have a natural aptitude for being on the radio(due to what's been called a 'perfect broadcast voice' by the manager of a community radio station I volunteered for while living in NZ).

...and that's where my skills pretty much end...; I'm very ill-suited for any kind of manual labor, and effectively 95% of all sales and/or CSR positions(with the possible exception of receptionist) are right out, no thanks to my triple-crown of ADHD, Social Anxiety Disorder, and Aspergers Syndrome(I'm generally a little bundle of nerves just -waiting- for an excuse to go off in public)!   :'(

It's one reason I miss CoH so much...I was FINE interacting with people there, as the direct face-to-face factor was removed...which could also explain how I've done so well on the radio....

Are you sure you aren't my clone? :P

I've been diagnosed ADHD, and Asperger's. On the undiagnosed side I'm pretty sure I've got a mild case of social anxiety and clinical depression, but I'm not a doctor.

To answer a previous question elsewhere, I'm currently in Portland, Oregon. I would be hard pressed to relocate right now, as my girlfriend has deep roots in the area and this is a "I want to be with her for the rest of my life" level of romantic involvement. I'd rather be shot than walk away from someone as amazing as her. (Also, I'm dirt broke. I wouldn't even eat without the SNAP benefits I get.)

I can steal wifi from coffee shops and the like, which enables me to job hunt and do a little browsing and gaming for sanity maintenance, but yeah. Things aren't looking good for me, right now. I'm hanging in there, mind you, and I've not given up on our City. We will get our home back. Somehow.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »
Not trying to push religion on you, but I do suggest you look into your local LDS Bishop's Storehouse. The people there can help you with food, and I'm sure they can point you to other LDS programs to help find work and shelter and the like. There's a strong sense of community in the LDS church, so they tend to be good at finding good fits based on the person. And we don't limit our charity work to members, so that's no limitation.

Fireheart

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
If connectivity becomes an issue, the public library often has computers and internet, sometimes WiFi.

Be Well!
Fireheart

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 12:38:03 AM »
I fully sympathize with any and all who are out of work. It's tough, I know. Without going into too many details, I was out of work from July 2011 to July 2012. I spent the first couple of months filling out applications. Maybe 60 or 70 of them. Not one word. It got very depressing. On the bright side, I did level up several characters, lol.
Fortunately, I lost my job via a lay-off, not outright firing.  This made me eligible for unemployment, without which I would have had a much rougher time.

While I was at my weekly Bible Study, I shared my difficulties with the group discussion leader. Turns out, he is a major headhunter in the Southeast - although the companies he hires for are located primarily in Chicago, Boston and New York City. He asked to take a peek at my resume, and then ultimately, he tweaked it. He then sent the resume out to everyone he knew and asked the people on his list to send it out to everyone he knew - along with his personal reference letter vouching for my character.
Within the next week, I had my pick of job offers.

I share this with you all to let you know there is hope - but the way we got jobs in the early 90s, well, that just doesn't work anymore. 90% of jobs are now attained by someone, a friend, a relative or a friend of a friend or relative hand-walking that resume in directly to the person who decides who to hire. Today, more then ever, it is who you know, not what you know. I highly recommend you write down the name, phone number and e-mail address of every singly person you know, whether you like them or not. Then call or e-mail them and ask them for help. I assure you that at least 1 person out there that knows you knows someone or knows someone who knows someone who can help. I am fairly certain that anyone on this board would get a job if they could just get an interview. Network, network, network.

I'll be praying for you all.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 04:02:29 AM »
Today, more then ever, it is who you know, not what you know... Network, network, network.

I can relate to this. I've moved back to my home town and have been looking for about 6 months with no luck. Everyone I knew moved away, is in business for him/herself, or says their company isn't hiring. Ironically, my wife and I can't go anywhere in town without running into someone she knows, and she's not from here. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
Hang in there. Our thoughts and prayers are with you! Hoping things change for you soon! :)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »
Today is especially bad. I'm low on funds so I'm doing some strict rationing until the EBT card refills in a week.

That I can handle, honestly. It's the emotional toll today brings. Today is the birthday of my grandmother, who passed away a year ago this past January. This will mark the second August 1st without her. She aggravated me, she drove me nuts, but she was family and I loved her. It also marks the one-week marker to my own birthday, which generally winds up being an annual depression spiral for me.

I hate feeling like I'm just whining, here, but I feel the need to at least express these thoughts somehow. I figure one of the greatest communities in cyberspace was a decent place. Thanks for all the support you guys have given me through these tough times. I'll weather the storm eventually, just as I know we'll reclaim our city one day.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 03:24:22 AM »
You will succeed, DG.  Never give up.  It took me 4 years to land another job when I lost my in 2008.  I was fortunate to stockpile savings and have family to help me.  Between the two I was able to survive it.

This I will say:

• Don't give up no matter what
  • Be prepared to move
  • Keep slinging resumes/sales letters/etc.

No Surrender!

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 09:44:39 PM »
Lady Vamp is very, very right. You have to keep going, because that is how the better times will come along.

Winston Churchhill said "If you're going through hell, keep going."  Keep going, and on up the hill to the other side, finally. I have had some very hungry times- and I really mean the no food kind. I spend mental time in Coh and Titan to get me through everything. Things always change, which means this too has got to pass. It can't stay this way, even if it wanted to. things will evolve. Best thing you can do is have an impact on How things evolve. You have done the right things, but you need to keep doing them. don't stop. I read a quote in a guy's sig on the old Coh boards...

"Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They're just braver five minutes longer."
Stay brave.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 09:01:55 PM »
Birthday wasn't too bad, for once. Spent time iwth a friend, did some shopping. Special thanks to well-wishers and cheer bringers among us.

Still don't have work, but I'm not giving up.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 09:01:18 AM »
Hang onto hope....and complete it with action and not giving up....

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 05:07:14 PM »
Had another job interview last Tuesday, that I feel went really well. Hopefully I'll hear something by the end of this week.

Food card's getting empty, but it will refill on the 8th. Friends have been helping out where they can. Once again, thanks to this great community, I will persevere. Like I used to say on my Regen on Virtue, all the time... you can't keep a good Grimm down!

* DrakeGrimm pops Revive

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »
Fingers crossed!

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 05:44:21 AM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 01:23:40 AM »
Well, sadly, I did not get the job I interviewed for, despite managing to get a second interview. I am, understandably, a bit put off. Still, the search for gainful employment continues. Thanks again for all the well wishes and support! This community has done a lot to help me keep my head these past few months!

Can't keep a good Grimmy down!

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 09:17:44 AM »
Something good is coming, Grimmy. Hang in there, and don't give up.