Author Topic: (semi CoH-related) Working on a book.... (opinion check!)  (Read 1599 times)

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
(semi CoH-related) Working on a book.... (opinion check!)
« on: July 04, 2013, 12:48:30 AM »
...yes, this actually has loose connections to CoH....  :)

The last 14 or so years of my life have been quite an interesting journey, all thanks to one special person, and it's finally gotten me to the point where I think I have enough material together to write a book!

Tentatively titled, 'Chasing Kiwis'(the title was suggested by a friend on Facebook), this real-life story will trace the adventures of my life from late 1999 up to the present and how a certain little lady from New Zealand has been a part of it all, from our 1st meeting while playing Worms: Armageddon(PC) through her 1st visit to the States in 2006, her 2nd in 2008(which saw me proposing to her at Walt Disney World), to my own journeys to be with her in the hopes of starting a new life in NZ in late 2009, to my unfortunately necessary return home in late 2011 and up to now.

The book is planned to be almost entirely light-hearted in nature, full of anecdotes and recollections about everything I've been through, such as....

...how she and I proved it really -IS- a 'Small World after all' at the Magic Kingdom and the amazing treatment we received on the most triumphant day of my life.

...how I passed what I can only call my 1st true 'test of character' not 2 days later, while at Disney Hollywood Studios....

...walking face-first into a column while at LAX airport.  ;)

Seeing birds with a =9 FOOT= wingspan in NZ(!!).

...it's all ready to go in my head, but each time I try to start, my memories of the things that went wrong while in NZ depress me to the point where I lose the will to write...; every single person I've pitched the idea to LOVES IT, and thinks I should write it...just dunno how to keep myself motivated, and hoped some of you out there could offer some opinions and inspiration.

...and if you're wondering, CoH will definitely get a piece of the action, in-book, don't worry!   8)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
Re: (semi CoH-related) Working on a book.... (opinion check!)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 03:41:33 AM »
I think what you need to do is write yourself up a list of ways the bad things ended up helping you in the long run. Lessons that you learned because of those events, whether directly or indirectly. Then post that list near where you'll be writing. Use big, visible letters so it's easy to see from where you're sitting. Give yourself a clear-cut reminder, every moment you're working on it, that growth came from those unfortunate events.

Bad things happen. We can't change that. But what we can do is take those experiences and learn from them. Whether it's how to avoid letting it happen again, how to cope with it more effectively when it does, or even how to make the best of it and build something better out of the debris. That's what you need to focus on - the ways those bad things make you stronger afterward. And if writing those memories down will cause you to falter regularly, then that's the place where you need to bolster your strength. Give yourself daily reminders of the positive lessons they taught you. It doesn't have to be a list necessarily, but a short, simple list is easy to work with so it's a good place to start.

For example:

1) Too many bills had piled up. My utilities were going to get turned off.

2) I couldn't put it off any longer. I was forced to deal with it, which turned out to be a good thing, because all I really needed was to sit down and actually look at the numbers.

3) I learned that by doing without a few luxuries and unnecessary things, I can live a lot more comfortably than I was before.

4) I realized that paying attention to the details lets me catch little problems before they become big problems.

5) It turns out that I have a knack for making lists and schedules. That'll come in handy in the future!

It might help you to say the list out loud too. Each time you're about to tackle writing about that issue, read its list out loud. If it gives you a problem while you're trying to write, read it again. Read it seven or eight times if you have to... repetition can help reinforce the positive outcome in your mind. After all, that's how negative things stick with us so strongly... we keep revisiting them over and over in our minds. Well that works with positive things too. Tell yourself the good parts over and over again, and one day you catch yourself not even remembering the bad parts. I know it works, I've done it.

I gotta say, the way you describe your story reminds me of that "One Red Paperclip" guy. I bought his book too; couldn't put it down. Some crazy things happened to that guy along the way. Your book sounds like it will be the same kind of wild ride. Good luck with it! I'd love to read it one day! :D

PS, 9 foot birds are nuts... that sounds like some Stephen King crap going on there. A flock of those things could carry away a VAN :o

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 04:00:04 AM »
Get started on the book, and don't think about the bad bits at first.  If the bad bits try to worm their way in, think of a good bit for a while, then keep going.  Once you get on the roll, and have a substantial portion of the book written, you'll WANT to tell the tale, because the book with require it.  You don't have writer's block, sounds like, but more writer's motivatonal issues.  Best motivation is to get on the task so you have an end point to get to.

Lots of writers do not do their books chronologically.  They will do some at the front, then maybe the end, then maybe the front middle, then somewhere else... And then write the harder parts last.  Because at that point, the book needs completion, and that is how they get to finish it... they've done all that work, so they're GOING to get that part in there, or else.

I know you can do it.  All it takes is determination to get it done, and since you realize your issue with the starting of it, that's a large part of winning the battle.

And maybe a collaborator, if for nothing else to talk to during the process, might help get ya through it.

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 05:31:18 PM »
In reference to Whiplash's reply, the Northern Royal Albatross, of which a colony(well-protected and with tours available) existed not 20 minutes from where I lived in New Zealand for 2 years, has a wingspan that can reach 9 feet...; these marvelous birds are capable of staying airborne for YEARS at a time while over the ocean in search of food....  O_o;

Pic shown is from the website of the Royal Albatross Centre in NZ.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »
the Royal Albatross Centre in NZ.

They have their own HEADQUARTERS?!?!?

(well-protected and with tours available)

And not only is it heavily guarded, but they're also using propaganda to lull us into a false sense of security. That's diabolical.

I knew it, it's an invasion! Run for your lives! It's The Attack of the Giant Space Birds!!!

We have only one hope now... Catzilla!

*cue tinny high-pitched music track*

"Save us, Catuzira! Save us!"

... Ahem. Yeah. But more to the point, stick with this. Fight through the motivational issues. You'll be glad you did.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go sit in the corner and write "I will not derail other people's threads with cat pictures" five hundred times. :-\

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 05:15:23 PM »
Great.

I hope you realize such facts about birds means that my own Super Hero Universe now has it's own Helicarrier for my own version of S.H.I.E.L.D. (The Royal Albatross - The Mobile Flying Carrier-City and home base of F.R.E.E.D.O.M. - Federal Reserve Emergency Engineering/Defense Ooperations Mandate)

In any event, as for the book...

Don't focus on the negative aspects so early on. Write what you want to write, the humor filled narrative full of anecdotes and life lessons. Deal with the darker days when the story gets to those. Who knows, by then the ball will have been rolling and you may find yourself inspired to see past the pain and sadness and find humor in that too.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter