Author Topic: DC Universe Online  (Read 28465 times)

hurple

• Elite Boss
Re: DC Universe Online
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »
DCUO has superior combat to COH by far, and to CO by a decent amount, but everything else sucks.

Could not disagree more. 

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2018, 01:20:50 AM »
I just remember the graphics in CO making my eyes bleed.

Chakram

• Paramount Paramour
  • Underling
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2018, 08:37:14 AM »
Maybe it doesn't matter to you all, but to me, the world of DCO was way to small, compared to CoX. Same problem with CO, neither could stack up. I played both DCO and CO, for enough time to top out a few characters. I was no power gamer in any MMO, but i remember the time it took to cap out a character in CoX felt challenging enough to invest myself in the toon itself. The other two games, I just didn't feel the attachment as my toons seemed to race to the cap. The only game I felt had similar grind/investment to CoX was World of Warcraft.
Again I was a casual gamer, but I just felt ripped of when I could top a toon out in less than 30 days of casual play. Casual play meaning at best 18hrs play across weekdays and intensive 16hr play on weekend days.
Mind you I was also an altoholic so I usually played what I was in the mood to play.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »
The thing with DC is that it's sort of two different games. You play through the stories for the first 30 levels where it plays more like a traditional MMO. Once you've hit that point it effectively becomes more like a lobby game where you grind instances to raise your CR so you can grind more instances. I'm not a fan of the combo system the combat uses, but otherwise I enjoyed the first part of the experience. The second part was mind numbing for me. I haven't played it in over a year now I guess, so maybe things have changed. I've heard there has been a few shake=ups over there. I doubt it, though.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2018, 10:58:37 PM »
The thing with DC is that it's sort of two different games. You play through the stories for the first 30 levels where it plays more like a traditional MMO. Once you've hit that point it effectively becomes more like a lobby game where you grind instances to raise your CR so you can grind more instances. I'm not a fan of the combo system the combat uses, but otherwise I enjoyed the first part of the experience. The second part was mind numbing for me. I haven't played it in over a year now I guess, so maybe things have changed. I've heard there has been a few shake=ups over there. I doubt it, though.

Didn't they make the combat button combos to work with consoles? I much preferred the style of COH. or even CO.

In COH I made button macros for powers I needed quick - like if I was playing my healer - one for heal, one for absorb pain. So I didn't have to search the tray every time to pick the right one.
Then I had two (or three) power trays - row 1 was attacks, row 2 was defense or buffs and if I had incarnates or extra one time uses that was tray 3.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 01:05:22 AM »
DCUO was basically designed from the ground up with console play in mind. That's what accounts for most of it's failings.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2018, 05:35:52 AM »
DCUO was basically designed from the ground up with console play in mind. That's what accounts for most of it's failings.

That was my conclusion after trying it on PC. So I dl'd it on PS3 and it turns out it was just as clunky on there. I've been tempted to give it another try lately, having gotten used to reticle targeting in SWL. But every time I remember it would be the 4th time I've downloaded it.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2018, 02:53:46 PM »
Didn't they make the combat button combos to work with consoles? I much preferred the style of COH. or even CO.

In COH I made button macros for powers I needed quick - like if I was playing my healer - one for heal, one for absorb pain. So I didn't have to search the tray every time to pick the right one.
Then I had two (or three) power trays - row 1 was attacks, row 2 was defense or buffs and if I had incarnates or extra one time uses that was tray 3.

Sounds like my arrangement.  The combat system in CoH is still my favorite of any game I've ever tried. 

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2018, 07:07:42 PM »
Sounds like my arrangement.  The combat system in CoH is still my favorite of any game I've ever tried.

I haven't played either CO or DCU in like a year.

So logged into both over the weekend.

I used to prefer CO over DCU but for some reason I found DCU I lot more fun this time.

Graphics are way better. Combat to me now is a lot more fun in DCU then CO. Not sure why as I found it clunky before but this time had no problem.

CO looks very dated now and honestly all there gears and specializations and talents makes it very confusing sometimes to figure out what to pick.

COH was nice and simple - Pick a power then add enhancements - that's it.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2018, 07:14:25 AM »

That's why I left Star Trek Online several years ago. I'm sure it's changed and there would be plenty of story now to keep me busy with reduced playtimes, but it seems like the goal is to make sure players have *something* to do once they get beyond the story missions and reach the level cap... and since there's just no way to pump out actual stories, it becomes all about repeating instances and such.

I left DCUO because the combat system was annoying, and clearly meant for consoles. I don't like combo fighting games in the best of times, and DCUO really made it apparent it was a console port.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2018, 03:33:05 AM »
Concerning Star Trek Online, there is definitely an item grind if you want set bonuses from story missions (repeating the same mission 3-4 times in a month as it's released, or 3-4 times in a week when they start releasing a new mission after the first month of it's release is over).  But with each new arc they finish, they have unique missions that follow a progression. 

Playing from the first mission tutorial all the way through isn't necessary to reach 60.  I've gotten to 60 once I've finished content intended for Level 30 or so.  That leaves a lot to do in the end game from the main arc.  But this thread is about DCUO, so I'll stop there. 

(Of course, I can't say they've gone out of their way to avoid grinding, because that's in the nature of the MMO.  Some grind is inevitable.)
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran