Author Topic: I'm kinda torn here  (Read 18294 times)

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
I'm kinda torn here
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:29:32 AM »
A bunch of my friends chose GW2 as their game after leaving CoX. They have continually been trying to get me to join them and I haven't quite found a game to occupy my time since the closing. I'm not particularly a huge fan of fantasy but I've been itching to see my old friends again and have something to do in my spare time. Not to mention, the reviews from the people I trust say the game is pretty good. In fact, I haven't heard a bad review of it yet.

I guess my problem is the owners. I really don't want my money going to the very company that screwed us over. If it were owned and operated by anyone other than NC$oft, I'd likely have tried it out many months ago. But, all things considered, I'm torn between my friends and my sense of honor.

So, I guess my question is this: Would I be a traitor if I went to play the game? When Plan Z comes to fruition, and/or TF:HM pulls through, I'll be back in my tights in a heartbeat, but I'm just really bored and I miss my friends. I guess another factor this: If some of us are in that game and make friends, we can pull a lot of people back when the time comes. Maybe even some new players... I don't know. What do you all think?
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: I'm kinda torn here
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 03:47:05 AM »
Would I be a traitor if I went to play the game?

Yes, citizen - and treason will not be tolerated.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 03:50:56 AM »
GW2 is pretty awesome. I stopped playing because NW came out, but it's good.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 04:16:15 AM »
This is really up to you.  I, personally, will never give another dime penny to NCSoft because of what they've done (and it's not the first time they did that, either; this was just particularly egregious in terms of the way they treated Paragon Studios and we, the paying customers), but that's me.  I would never seek to impose or bully others into supporting my own boycott.  If you want to play GW2, then do so; there's nothing wrong with you making your own decisions on how you spend your own time and money. 

I have COH friends who are playing GW2, but if they want to see me, they have to come to TSW (or every now and then SWTOR).  Luckily, they do want to see me, so yay! 

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 04:37:34 AM »
In my opinion, the word "traitor" is way too strong for this situation. It's like those who use the word "guilt" for eating something not on their diet - totally inappropriate word. "Guilt" should be saved for something illegal or morally wrong, and "traitor" should be saved for those who betray their country. Sure, some folks' feelings about NCSoft run deep here. But it's up to you. If you want to play GW2, go for it. You don't even have to tell us. :)
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 04:58:24 AM »
Only you can determine that. As the only "betrayal" would be within yourself. You have to do what you believe and not what you think someone else might think.

I can understand the personal conflict. It just comes down to whether you'd feel good or bad about either decision.
Stay true to yourself.

I've not played it at all, but, it's just a one-time purchase, right? The development studio, responsible for making it, might be good people (despite their publishers being NCSoft).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure that I'd play anything under NCSoft, but there hasn't been anything that's tempted me... Under the right (or wrong?) circumstances, it is possible I'd consider it.

Try and follow through on the two different directions in your mind and imagine what you'd think and feel.

Don't worry about the rest of us... There are plenty of CoH lovers that have bought and played GW2. You'll likely not even be among the first of Golden Girl's executions after the inquisitions. ;D
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 05:05:09 AM »
Neither choice is wrong. Standing up for your principles is important, and so is spending time with the people who matter to you.

If you want to avoid NCsoft's products because you disagree with their business practices, then you go right ahead, and don't let anyone tell you you shouldn't. It's your right as a consumer, and as a human being, to adhere to personal principles.

However the idea that you'd be a "traitor" simply for playing a video game is just plain silly, and don't let people talk you into believing that it's valid. Traitor is a much more serious word than "someone who did something I don't like", and anybody who would define it that way is not worth listening to.

If your friends are important to you, then go spend time with them. It doesn't matter if it's that game or another, or even a different hobby entirely. Just find something fun to do with your time. When you see that signal in the sky, you want to be ready to go, not too burnt out and bummed out to answer it.

Just don't forget to keep checking back here or with one of the FB groups for news and stuff. Cause hey... you wanna see the signal when it lights up, right? ;)

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 05:28:37 AM »
In my opinion, the word "traitor" is way too strong for this situation.../...and "traitor" should be saved for those who betray their country.
I am not a fan of going by connotation or the way a word "feels." I was just going by the definition of traitor, which is fitting and does not necessarily refer to race or country.

Traitor: one who betrays another's trust or is false to an obligation or duty

My obligation in this situation is to my first MMO and the community that I have been a part of for over 7 years. I have a very strong loyalty to the game, but I also have a strong loyalty to my friends. Thus, the dual-sided pull.

It's like those who use the word "guilt" for eating something not on their diet - totally inappropriate word. "Guilt" should be saved for something illegal or morally wrong...
Guilt is synonymous with regret and remorse, which is easy to feel if we think we have done something contradictory to our morals. And for some, eating healthy is a moral.

Sure, some folks' feelings about NCSoft run deep here. But it's up to you. If you want to play GW2, go for it. You don't even have to tell us. :)
Yeah, I know it's up to me, but in order to make the decision, I was just looking for feedback from the community. I appreciate your response and it's attempt at making me not feel like such a douche bag, but I am honestly looking for peoples personal opinion. What would you do in my situation.

Only you can determine that. As the only "betrayal" would be within yourself. You have to do what you believe and not what you think someone else might think.
I'm just looking for input, really. I truly want to know the attitude of the community. Thanks for your input, too.

Just don't forget to keep checking back here or with one of the FB groups for news and stuff. Cause hey... you wanna see the signal when it lights up, right? ;)
Oh, trust me. I am waiting patiently for either TF:HM or my chosen Plan Z. And when the day comes that either, or both, come about, I'll be there.

But, as I mentioned before, I honestly believe that if I get back into contact with my friends, when the time comes for players to come back to Superheroism, I'd like to have rapport with them in hopes to get them back. And who knows, maybe I could bring others... which could start a chain reaction. In that sense, it would be nice if NC$oft felt a loss to the very game (or one of it's successors) and community that it abandoned.

What it boils down to is the money. Not so much the 50 bucks leaving my pocket, but who's pocket it's going into. If the game were free to start, I would likely have checked it out already. I just don't want to support the company.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 07:14:55 AM »
Haha, yeah, I hear ya...
If piracy were an option, that'd likely by my choice in that situation! ;)
Aharrr!!!

--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 08:09:58 AM »
Blue, we already know what the community says about this: some have chosen to never support any NCSoft effort again, some have made exceptions such as GW2, and some just shrugged about the whole thing and will play any NCSoft game that grabs their interest.  That's as it should be.  We're individuals, not mindless sheeple blindly following the herd. 

Me? I'll never play another NCSoft game (unless they resurrected COX, of course), and I can't understand why anyone would, especially those of us still here.  But I don't have to understand it.  As I said, I have COH friends who went to GW2, but they are more than happy to hop onto games I'm on from time to time so we don't lose touch.  Actually, the same holds true for a few who went to CO.  I don't have anything huge against that game or anyone associated with it; I just can't stand it.  I'd rather not annoy my friends by constantly griping about how awful CO is the whole time we're playing, and I'm sure they're glad I'm not there doing that.  Heh.

Des_Tructive

• Lieutenant
  • SLAP!
    • Meta - Superhuman Covert Ops (german)
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »
Neither choice is wrong. Standing up for your principles is important, and so is spending time with the people who matter to you.
...This, and this:

If your friends are important to you, then go spend time with them. It doesn't matter if it's that game or another, or even a different hobby entirely.
Quoted for truth.
I didn't have to make the choice, since most of my vfriends went to TSW, but friendship in itself is a principle that I, for one, value more than the principle of "virtual justice". Heck, if it makes you feel better, just buy the thing, and boycott the shop. I'm sure there's enough content to enjoy with your friends without sacrificing more $$$ to the hungry god NC.
CoX: @DeS Tructive
TSW: BloodyCarrie; HrFaust; TheContact

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 12:37:52 PM »
As others have said, it is your choice. If you feel that a compromise is needed to satisfy both demands of your soul, I recommend spending the barest minimum to gain access so you can play with your friends, and then choosing to spend not another dime on their in-game stores. But even that is, ultimately, up to you. Do not allow your happiness to be held hostage by NCSoft.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 02:54:12 PM »
For whatever it might be worth, personally I found GW2 to be a thoroughly boring game once the novelty and the appeal of the shiny graphics wore off. But that's only my personal opinion.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 02:56:38 PM »

If it makes you feel better, NCSoft kind of hates GW2 and wishes it would die, so if you join it you're also kind of kicking them where it hurts.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »
I bought GW2 before the shutdown because while I love CoH, having something else to do sounded like it would make CoH more fun. I didnt get very far however before the shutdown notice hit, and then I didnt play until after.

It was hard to really get into the game, missing Paragon so much, but it does a lot very miserably wrong. The initial rush to 80 can be kinda fun, but its instanced dungeons were buggy as heck, crafting was tedious, and the plot is one of the most miserable things I've ever had a chance to experience.

Jumping puzzles sounded really fun and were part of why I bought the game, only to find out they took more inspiration from meatboy and IWBTG than something more longterm fun. The Dungeons are insanely frustrating unless you know exactly how to do them. Their idea for how to 'destroy the trinity' means everyone sucks at everything. I wasn't really able to enjoy the game because no matter the role I took on, I couldn't do it nearly as effectively. My PB could be tanky DPS with off heals, but my Warrior or whatever it was called felt like it was made of tissuepaper in any of the actually difficult content.

Its not worth the money, the time, or the investment. Convince them another game is more fun, one that's F2P instead of once you buy it maybe.

But one thing I will say is that Arenanet should not be blamed for NCSoft's actions. They didn't tell them to can Paragon. Besides what they consider to be a fun game, from all accounts they're half decent people. My argument is more its not a fun game than Arenanet doesn't deserve your money.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Stormsurge

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »
If I we're you, I would hold off until Final Fantasy comes out. It's probably worth a go over GWs.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 08:19:14 PM »
If I we're you, I would hold off until Final Fantasy comes out. It's probably worth a go over GWs.

That or The Elder Scrolls Online. Beta is nice so far.
- Omega Mk. V

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 08:43:55 PM »
to The OP: Are you a "traitor" for playing GW2? Not really..... just be ready for, as one Amazon reviewer put it, "the nightmare grind of collecting x amount of rat butts."

Kistulot: Their idea for how to 'destroy the trinity' means everyone sucks at everything.

This! No matter what I rolled, I felt insanely squishy. I did not find the play experience fun at all.

The game world is lovely, and swimming around underwater is 100% a lot of fun. That was really the most fun part of the game.... everything else was a nightmare grind. I have not logged into GW2 since March of 2013. I am wondering if I will ever bother logging in again.... I have a feeling I might not.

Why would I bother doing that when I can log into Icon and fly around my old stomping-grounds? Just flying around CoX maps is ten times more fun than anything GW2 has to offer. A sad indictment and TRUTH, all in one statement?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:49:07 PM by Illusionss »

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 11:42:40 PM »
Blue, I think you know me well enough to know I wouldn't mince words. Although all of us vehemently disagree with the way CoH closed, and the fact that it did close when it likely didn't have to close. But, there's a great deal that we don't know for certain, because, well, NCSoft is really none of our business.

Ultimately, playing a game that funds NCSoft doesn't hurt the MWM TPP one bit. A man can only create toons and fly around the city so much. Sooner or later, ya wanna kill stuff.
Go, play, and kill fantasy creatures - whatever form they may be in. You have my blessing.

And of course, we'll expect you to join the kickstarter.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

MakoMako

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 01:07:22 AM »
Well, here's my attitude.

People wanna play Guild Wars 2? That's fine. It proves something, though.

When City of Heroes was shut down, my attitude from then and on is that I will not be supplying NCSoft a penny ever again. Their business practice in that matter was appalling, and I can't in good conscience give them any more support.

That said, there's an ulterior motive to this. And many others share this, from what I can tell. And denial of NCSoft product after what happened to CoH was meant to show them they made a mistake.

I mean, that's what people like about their stock issues, right? The fact that they feel the wrath of their "mistake" and tank for it?

So long as you continue to pay and support NCSoft by buying Guild Wars 2, playing it and perusing it's store, you are making NCSoft comfortable in the fact it didn't lose you. Its losses weren't that bad, because people pretty much just funneled from CoH to GW2. Sure, they might've lost a couple... Acceptable losses, right?

The reason why there's so much hate is that if you buy NCSoft product, you're using your wallet to tell them you're a-okay with what happened and will still pay them. This is hurtful towards consumers that want a change. This is where "betrayal" comes from.

I don't think any active "betrayal" is happening because very few people actually even consider this part. Many of which (who I've spoken to personally) think their money is going exclusively to Arena Net, and not NCSoft.

It's detrimental to efforts, yes. Because it makes NCSoft less considerate to our plight, that even in our initiative, we're still giving them money. Outright betrayal? No. Because I don't think that's what anyone is really even thinking. Furthermore, lots of people have already decided CoH is gone and no further efforts will help, so why deny yourself the fun?