Author Topic: Fatal Error  (Read 15354 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Fatal Error
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:29:24 AM »
So... nice map.

Mission badly needs music.

The enemies felt tougher than the average Champion bad guy.

I was doing the mission on my Level 21 Force character and he's hardly specced to be awesome, but he did okay till I got to the Final Boss and wasn't able to put it
down after a about half an hour of trying. I suggest you duo it unless you have a high damage or high survivable build (or both).

The final boss has a pretty powerful hold and can spawn allies ... not just minions, but also villains. Since my Force has no heal of any kind I was pretty much toast.

I'm going to try it again on a 40, but I don't think it's a mission I'll do very often given the relatively pitiful rewards. 500 Q? Really?

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
Re: Fatal Error
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 03:25:04 AM »
I found that opening the door at the end and another at the opposite end of the hallway makes it possible to kite the boss at a lower risk.
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:13:46 AM »
Oh I have to try this now..
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:43:31 PM »
I'm going to try it again on a 40, but I don't think it's a mission I'll do very often given the relatively pitiful rewards. 500 Q? Really?

Is it 500Q, or will is it one of those Q boxes with a random amount? Isn't it still on the test server?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
It's 500 Q... no box, just the Q.   I tore through it on a lvl24 toon -- until i hit the boss.  It took 2 tries (I realized on the second try I'd been running with my Aspect toggle off.. *headdesk*).  Fun mission for the most part and will find it's way into my daily Q rounds, but yeah... needs music or... something
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »
I haven't had been on their test server, but the one for CoH didn't always have the polished product running. That's why I was asking if it still was on the PTS. I haven't logged into the game since Monday, so I don't know if it's live, yet. If your most relevant complaints with are issues with polish, I'd call it a good first effort from the good folks at Flying Cryptic. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 05:50:24 PM »
That's why I was asking if it still was on the PTS.

Ah! Reading comprehension fail on my part.  Sorry bout that... nope, this is live.  And don't get me wrong it is a great first effort.  Just a little well placed music would be awesome, but i'm good with the way it is.  And 500 Q is way more than fair for a single mission, considering i can count the number of times I got 700 Q from a Dockside Dustup on one hand; I'd say a solid 500 more than fair.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:34:05 PM by SARobb »
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »
Hmmm. The music thing seems like a pretty serious fail, from a creative standpoint. I do have to agree with you on the solid Q amount. I can't count how many times I've opened a box and only gotten 200, but I can count on one finger the number of times I've gotten 1500!  :roll:

That aside, if it's good content, then there is definite hope. The emote exploit seems to have been handled pretty well, too, though there is a bit more "It's not good enough!" whining on their forum than I find palatable. I'll give it a whirl, tonight. I ran the launcher last night, just to make sure I was patched up, so I may even get an early start. :)

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 08:59:05 PM »
I ran through the Fatal Error first mission with my eponymous level 40 Behemoth, so he had no problem with survivability. I was really enjoying the play session--entering Champions HQ, watching the cut scene with voice-acted Dr. Silverback, being digitized into the Tron-like landscape of Socrates' internal systems, and battling the computer virus manifestations--until the battles started to feel repetitious.

My approach was "defeat all" 'cuz, you know, you wanna get rid of all traces of a computer virus. But, defeating all red critters on the map got boring real quick, particularly for a Behemoth who has mainly single-target attacks. Being pretty much invulnerable, maybe he could have just run through the wandering mobs and completed the objectives; but, it was my first time through, and I didn't know how the mission worked, so I wanted to be thorough and not risk missing something.

The mission was a fun spectacle and pretty well rewarded, but I don't know if I'll feel compelled to repeat it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:31:23 PM by Todogut »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Actually, that's pretty helpful. My highest (lvl 23) is also a Behemoth, but my main impulse is "MOAR EX PEE!" As I tend to shun repetition, I'll try to curb the urge. :)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 10:14:20 PM »
I went through the mission on CO Blue Battler who's a level 40 Power Armor character (with a build a nice guy gave me i used as a template) and I did much better at it, but Dr. S only gave me some resources and I got the Q as ore.

It was much more satisfying on a more capable toon but I still think I could have gotten more Q doing the Nemesis missions for the same amount of time ... even at 200 a drop. :D

The main thing that mission has convinced me of is that I want to build a really high DPS toon in CO and I am not yet there in terms of knowing how to do so....

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 03:27:58 AM »
It should be noted you get more than just the questionite from it, you get a pile of resources plus a pretty reasonable chance at one of two costume pieces. I did it 5 times on all my 40s and ended up with two costumes, so the drop rate can't be too terrible. That or I got amazingly lucky.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 03:50:42 AM »
Were the costume pieces from drops from baddies or as a reward?

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 06:36:26 AM »
There was lots of red..

I was doing the defeat all thing, too, then at one point I realized ... why? So I did a run through to next door and waited for the mob of mobs to catch up with me so I could wipe them out and interact the door and .. promptly got pwnd. Not saying I won't try a run through again... but it was an eye opener! Wasn't expecting that. Didn't really have any special problems with the end boss or anything else, on Elite. Was playing my Unleashed.

The costume pieces are pretty distinct. Thinking those are boss mob drops? I bet they sell for a fortune if they're sellable. Like that Malvan shield from the Malvanium Forum event. That was a moneymaker.

As far as the Q reward goes... Can it be any easier to get Q lately?

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 08:46:41 AM »
The costume pieces are a reward, they come with the resources at the end of the mission. So by all means, continue ignoring mobs. From this mission there's two pieces, the SOCRATES Process Helmet and the SOCRATES Virus Helmet. Which are the ones the various mobs in the mission wear.

If you were curious, the other SOCRATES costume pieces currently available (Shoulders, chestpiece, belt, bracers and boots) are all from the current lockbox, much to the annoyance of everyone ever.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 03:43:15 PM »
Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to run through, last night. My highest toon wasn't as high as I thought, so I was trying to get one more level, since he is close, but my Friday night friends decided to run Borderlands. Maybe I can get in, tonight.

So, really, though, what I'm seeing here is a lot of complaints about or defenses for the rewards and not a lot bout the actual content. I take that as a good sign. As a first major outing from the new dev team, if the actual content were crap, it would be much more of a focus of discussion. This is holding true, for the most part, on the official forum, as well. There is some griping that it's quest-based rather than open world, and that portions of it may or may not be permanent, but the content seems to be good enough to pass muster.

WTG, Flying Cryptic!

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »
Honestly I found the content itself pretty lacking. The mechanics of the entire level are obsessed with respawning enemies, and there are only really two models with slight variations. The dialogue given to the Champions was pretty bad, but that isn't entirely new. From what I've heard you're better off muting to not hear the voice acting, but that seems to be universally acknowledged as well!

Pretty disappointing, but at least I got some Q.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »
I did Fatal Error on another 40 of mine. I think I only have two that can probably solo this mission. Neither one of them got any costume pieces. >.>

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 11:57:51 PM »
Honestly I found the content itself pretty lacking. The mechanics of the entire level are obsessed with respawning enemies, and there are only really two models with slight variations. The dialogue given to the Champions was pretty bad, but that isn't entirely new. From what I've heard you're better off muting to not hear the voice acting, but that seems to be universally acknowledged as well!

Pretty disappointing, but at least I got some Q.

Really, the bad voice acting is just expected these days. It's there in all Cryptic's games. Also, the respawning enemies are only in the last room - the ones that appear out of nowhere before that are just stealthed, if you have high enough intellligence and/or a perception boosing utility item you can see them before they attack you. And honestly that last room would be pretty boring without the enemies since then it'd just be a slog of blowing up a pile of inanimate objects.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 12:01:57 AM »
Really, the bad voice acting is just expected these days. It's there in all Cryptic's games. Also, the respawning enemies are only in the last room - the ones that appear out of nowhere before that are just stealthed, if you have high enough intellligence and/or a perception boosing utility item you can see them before they attack you. And honestly that last room would be pretty boring without the enemies since then it'd just be a slog of blowing up a pile of inanimate objects.

Ah ha! That explains something for me. :D

When I did that last night on Blue Battler he could see the digital spider before it was fully available. I didn't see it on the other two toons I did the mission with.