Author Topic: Fatal Error  (Read 15304 times)

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
Re: Fatal Error
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2013, 12:21:19 PM »
It's not so much that they lack originality, it's that they insist on making everything a reference to something else rather than letting it stand on its own. The odd one here and there is fine, but almost every mission in the game being a callout to some other thing is a bit over the top.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 10:08:40 PM »
Yeah, that's partly why I stopped watching Family Guy. I was being facetious, before, but I do feel a little overloaded by it. And I've only gotten to the low 20s and haven't done any alerts, yet.

I would estimate I've only seen about a quarter of the content. I can see places where the "homages" would be a bit less heavy-handed, but it's still a bit tiresome.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2013, 10:24:44 PM »
I think he's probably right. I see a lot of homaging in game and I probly don't catch half of it.

Someone learned about Tron via Fatal Alert so it can't be all bad.
and that is probably why I think the content is relatively good. I probably come across hundreds of homages in that game a day and 99.99999% go over my head as I have no idea about 99% of comic lore, didnt even know the game existed in PnP until one day in game asking about Grond, and tell you the truth didnt even know what a PnP game was until a few ours prior to that. It's all new to me. Beyond the basic Wolverine, Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Hulk, and knowing about the mere existence of others, I have no idea if the Purple Gang and other stuff is homage to something else or entirely new. Recently heard whisper that Viper is homage to some GI Joe villain group or something.

If it wasn't for, as I stated earlier, that Fatal Error, I wouldn't have even heard of Tron, which I just recently purchased two days ago and during that purchase, realized it was based off and or tied to a movie of Tron in the 80s, and thinking about picking that one up too.

But on the flip side, kind of how I view movies now and days. Everything seems based off a book a sequel a remake or comic. So I can understand how too many homages for person can be tiring. It's like how I find it tiring that there don't seem to be too many original idea movies coming out or have been made lately. It's like they ran out of spit (ideas)...or white powder. 

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2013, 12:04:52 AM »
I introduced my son to Tron in the run-up to the release of Tron: Legacy. He actually liked the first one more than the second. Personally, I thought each was excellent in its time, though I was glad to see the old one still holds up.

The odd thing, Jaggy, is that the bulk of the references I notice aren't even to comics. The Lost mission in Canada. The The Thing missions in the Whiteout storyline, with a little Stargate SG-1 thrown in to spice things up. The Big trouble in Little China references throughout West Side. It's not like watching Spaced, where you can watch it over and over, and still miss some of the references. CO hits you with them like so many baseball bats (or cricket bats, or polo mallets, or hockey sticks, or what have you).

And, if you haven't seen Spaced and like the "Blood and Ice Cream" movies (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and the forthcoming The World's End), you'll love this! :)

[/tangent]
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2013, 12:14:38 AM »
I introduced my son to Tron in the run-up to the release of Tron: Legacy. He actually liked the first one more than the second. Personally, I thought each was excellent in its time, though I was glad to see the old one still holds up.

The odd thing, Jaggy, is that the bulk of the references I notice aren't even to comics. The Lost mission in Canada. The The Thing missions in the Whiteout storyline, with a little Stargate SG-1 thrown in to spice things up. The Big trouble in Little China references throughout West Side. It's not like watching Spaced, where you can watch it over and over, and still miss some of the references. CO hits you with them like so many baseball bats (or cricket bats, or polo mallets, or hockey sticks, or what have you).

And, if you haven't seen Spaced and like the "Blood and Ice Cream" movies (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and the forthcoming The World's End), you'll love this! :)

[/tangent]

yeah the Thing and Big Trouble in Little China reference I got and found hilarious. I liked Shaun of the Dead may have to check out that Spaced thing. Is it a British comedy? I love British Comedy.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2013, 04:06:00 AM »
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2013, 04:15:29 AM »
The second mission is now available on PTS for subscribers.
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2013, 05:33:12 AM »
How about the mish "Sharks with frickin' laser beams"! Now where did that come from..

I'm tellin ya, this topic deserves it's own thread. Or we could do the short version. "Content in CO unrelated to pop culture." A Cricket would live there.

I've gone through stages in my reaction to homaging in game. The first was, "I feel like I went to high school with whoever has a heavy hand in content here.." The second was the tiresome/over-the top stage. "Come on guys, think of something on your own!" And now I'm just used to it. Like villains skating away in cutscenes and the voice acting that generally doesn't fit.

I'm in it for the gameplay. The cool stuff I can do, you can do, we can do, what it looks like and how far we can push it. I'd rather see them fix athletics than all of the voice acting and cutscenes combined and the athletics bugs aren't that important to me either. If my connection gets screwed up again I'll be pretty unhappy though. 

Hey I learned something about Tron too.. There is a sequel...? hehe. That's cool that Viper is a takeoff of G.I. Joe's Cobra. They remind me of Nemesis for some reason.

The Purple Gang is the first content I can remember thinking, "Ah, a CO original. That's kinda cool. They wear purple suits and are a gang. The Purple Gang." Don't burst my bubble and tell me that was borrowed too!  : )
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2013, 05:48:23 AM »
As far as I know - the Purple Gang is actually a bit of original lore from the books. If that was inspired by something else, I don't know about it.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2013, 10:39:49 AM »
As far as I know - the Purple Gang is actually a bit of original lore from the books. If that was inspired by something else, I don't know about it.

The Purple Gang is from actual Detroit history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Purple_Gang

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »

Oddly, I originally thought the Purple Gang was just a "not the Capo" group. I haven't looked up anything in the game on my own, but the links folks have provided have somewhat changed my view of the game in the way real aspects of Detroit were used in creating Millennium City. Maybe this was something that was done when Hero Games lost the rights to the original hero group (I think it was called the Guardians) and had to create the Champions. I have a few source books from the early 90s, but it all still predates current team.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »

This information produced an audible LOL.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2013, 11:10:58 PM »

Still no costume pieces but I did get an action figure. I didn't even know that Fatal Error HAD action figures.  ;D

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »
I never seen the costume piece drop and didn't know or realized I had the helmet until I started a new character. Will check for more pieces.
Only ran it once so far.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2013, 12:55:23 AM »
Today I got one the Socrates helmet so I am happy.  ;D

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »
And today I picked up the other helmet. :D

Now if I could just get the rest of the costume pieces from the lockbox I'd be happy. :D

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2013, 11:36:33 PM »
Trailturtle will be streaming the next part of this mission arc on Thursday. It will be on Twitch.
Spess

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2013, 11:42:37 PM »
yeah? I look forward to the next part.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2013, 03:46:29 AM »
Hey that reminds me.. How long's part 1 gonna be around? Is this arc gonna be perma?
Some Faves:

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2013, 04:06:12 AM »
Hey that reminds me.. How long's part 1 gonna be around? Is this arc gonna be perma?

It will stay.
Spess