Author Topic: Discount Sub Offer Returns  (Read 3774 times)

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
Discount Sub Offer Returns
« on: July 25, 2013, 06:31:46 PM »
source

Quote from: trailturtle
For a limited time, if you subscribe for three months of Gold membership, you'll only pay for two months - a 33% discount, down to just $30! For just $10 a month, you can get freeform character slots, tons of costumes and more.

Gold players get freeform power selection for their characters, with so many more options than being limited to a single powerset. Gold players also get a monthly ZEN stipend, 500 ZEN every month -- enough to pick up a costume set every single month.

Read the blog
Check out the prices
Look at the benefits

[EDIT: Fixed url call ~Agge]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:13:34 AM by Aggelakis »
Spess

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
Re: Discount Sub Offer Returns
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 03:12:50 AM »
Aw, it's cute when Cryptic/PWI acts like CO is still an MMO worthy of a subscription.

I'm just glad they made free to play such a viable option. For free, it's acceptable (but, my requirements are very minimal, and most MMO players probably would not agree).

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 06:00:16 AM »
Aw, it's cute when Cryptic/PWI acts like CO is still an MMO worthy of a subscription.

I'm just glad they made free to play such a viable option. For free, it's acceptable (but, my requirements are very minimal, and most MMO players probably would not agree).

Lil bit harsh but more than a lil bit hard to argue against, too. If I hadn't just gone through nearly a month of really spotty connections and zero tech support then I would probably have some ammo but I did so I don't. And yeah there are all the other complaints folks have that I get, too. And, I like their Silver option, too, because it fits what I can afford in money and time and it also offers a nice system of earning rewards with converting Q to Zen that adds another dimension to the game.

I think CO is a game that Should be worthy of premium sub and this offer tempted me for at least 5 or 6 milliseconds because normally it would be a pretty good one.

Playing CO is the highlight of my day/week/month, when it works, and it's been working great again this past week or so and I hope they can keep it that way and I wish Flying Labs the best of luck in helping to turn things around.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 06:06:11 AM »
yeah I pay sub. It's a fun game to me but the way things are going, I cant figure out how I can logically say that a sub is worth it to others at this point unless they have $15 laying around they aint doing anything better with.

There might be new things to come in the future with this new team or what not but I'm no fortune teller nor can I see the future and thus cant judge based off that but I seen the past and that is what I have to go by.

I cant argue with Todogut either.

But I'm going to play CO until the sunset, either mine or the game.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 06:24:59 AM »
Yo, Jaguar..

TrailTurtle CO Forum Quote:

"
Originally Posted by roughbearmattach View Post
I already subscribe--do I cancel my subscription, and then re-subscribe?

You should be able to change your plan at https://secure.crypticstudios.com/champions/subscriptions/list.
"

Re-up for 10 bucks a month if you haven't already!

'Nother quote from the launcher link:
"
(Never want to lose this deal? As long as you remain continuously subscribed, you will be able to enjoy this promotional pricing on your future renewals! Already on a recurring 3-month subscription plan? Update your subscription options (too lazy to re-link account link..) here.)
"
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 11:51:03 AM »
But I'm going to play CO until the sunset, either mine or the game.

As am I, because for all its faults it's the only game out there that offers anything like the level of character customisation CoH did. And much like CoH, it has a ton of potential to be more than what it is and I'd like to see it get the chance.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 01:20:02 PM »
I really don't think that Todogut is being all that harsh. I enjoy the game, and seeing how much I can do without paying anything is kind of a fun challenge. I did the survey thing for about a week, but I stopped after I'd signed up for a couple of the free trials without seeing any of the promised Zen. I would have given them another chance, but the response I got to my support tickets amounted to "Gosh, that's a shame; just try more, then."

What the new dev team is doing appears to be promising, but, no, i don't think the game is worthy of a sub, yet. I will continue playing, because I am excited about the new promise the game is showing, and I will sub when I see that it is getting sustained attention.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 02:20:12 PM »
Support tickets get responded to..? Screenshots or it didn't happen.

I w
I really don't think that Todogut is being all that harsh.

I (didn't want to) agree (because I like the game and want to see good things happen to it) with the message, the delivery was just a lil harsh. That's all.

On the other side of this, i'm thinking if there's anyone reading this that's subbing for 16 bucks a month still.. If I were you I'd have a $10 a month sub in my near future  : ) That's a pretty great deal for current subscribers and it doesn't run out unless they let their sub lapse.
Some Faves:

Samurai Cowgirl

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 02:29:37 PM »
Honestly $10US /month is what I would like to pay for a good MMO, so something like this always peeks my interest.
But with the 2 free characters, and nearly enough questionite to buy a 2nd freeform slots I think I'm set for my time in CO

It seems they've extended the offer to STO now too.
Always be Stylin!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 10:18:33 PM »
Support tickets get responded to..? Screenshots or it didn't happen.

I don't tend to save the emails, unless there is an on-going dialogue. Since the emails from their support come from "noreply@whatever.com," they pretty much don't care about a dialogue with their customers on these kinds of issues. So, sorry, but I don't have screenshots.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 08:22:44 PM »
I don't tend to save the emails, unless there is an on-going dialogue. Since the emails from their support come from "noreply@whatever.com," they pretty much don't care about a dialogue with their customers on these kinds of issues. So, sorry, but I don't have screenshots.

In this case 'Screenshots or it didn't happen' is just geekspeak for expressing shock or disbelief - like saying, "no way!".

Grats on getting a response! I never got a single one when I was having connection problems. That, is not a joke.
Some Faves:

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 04:29:12 AM »
In this case 'Screenshots or it didn't happen' is just geekspeak for expressing shock or disbelief - like saying, "no way!".

Grats on getting a response! I never got a single one when I was having connection problems. That, is not a joke.

yeah the tech support is spotty. Every now and then ya get someone that says they got a response but mostly it seems no response.  I guess they are too busy playing WoW instead of working.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »
I never even got the obligatory "Hi, we got your mail, grats!"

That was the first sign that something was seriously wrong. I think I've never had that happen before with any tech support, much less any online game.

Ah well, whateveh. I'm not planning on buying more Zen or subscribing soon and I'm having fun - now that I can provide my own support and have a decent connection to the entertaining game provided...soooo... can't be-atch too much.
Some Faves:

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 05:34:44 AM »
I play for free, too.  But, I think I'll buy a zen card sometime soon.  I want more character slots (I guess I got extremely spoiled with the overabundance of slots CoX gave us) and to unlock a few powersets to recreate a few of my favorite CoX toons. 

I'm just having an extremely hard time figuring out how to do *anything* in CO... The character progression just does not seem as intuitive as it did in CoX.  And the 15,000,000 different kinds of "currency" just confuses me. 

Plus, I'm in such a weird financial situation right now.  My house burned down in February, and while we have good insurance and everything seems to be going smooth, we don't know, yet, how it's all going to shake out in the end.  And until we're rebuilt and have a new mortgage, I'm trying to be ultra-frugal

It sure would be nice to be able to play my favorite game right now, for stress relief purposes, instead of its bastardized cousin.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 06:13:24 AM »
I play for free, too.  But, I think I'll buy a zen card sometime soon.  I want more character slots (I guess I got extremely spoiled with the overabundance of slots CoX gave us) and to unlock a few powersets to recreate a few of my favorite CoX toons.

Actually, free players in CoH were stuck with the same two slots you get by default in CO. Not even two per server, just two total. Of course, slots were a bit cheaper to buy in CoH and subscribing gave you way more than it does it CO.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 02:33:16 PM »
It sure would be nice to be able to play my favorite game right now, for stress relief purposes, instead of its bastardized cousin.

Bastardized cousin... hmm... Red headed step-child might be closer : D

Here are some considerations from someone else who is in an unusual situation and being ultra frugal..

#1 Patience pays off.

If you're going to buy Zen, wait until they have a sale on it, and when they do have a sale on it buy it with a method that will get you the discount (PayPal, etc). I got a game card as a tip once on a job and couldn't use it with the discount.

If you are going to spend Zen, wait until they have a sale on everything you can buy with it.

Someone correct me if my brain isn't working (yet..?) but these two things will give you 30% more Zen to spend for your buck. You also get a discount the first time you buy zen but I'm not sure if that discount stacks.

If you are going to spend money, the 2 slots are a good buy I think. They are relatively cheap and can double your zen farming potential and toonspace.

Consider opening a second (third, etc) account. This will give you two more slots right away.. Sure, they are on a separate account, but what do you care, atm you're just playing the bastardized cousin of a game you *really* liked. You can use those two slots to experiment with.

Your 'main' account can contain toons that you think you will want to stick with until 40 and beyond. Your 'experimental' account can consist of toons that you are trying out. Again, patience comes into play, because, for example, you may level up a toon on your experimental account and then decide to re-create him on your 'main' account. Making double *snicker* "work" in the beginning leveling/gearing of said toon.

I'm thinking you will find at least 2 free AT's you enjoy enough to level to 40. By the time you level 2 guys to 40 on your main account, if you are farming Q at least casually, you'll have enough Zen to buy two more slots.

As for currencies. Zen, Q, G..

Zen is like real money. You can buy stuff with it that enhances the game - like more slots and powersets and stuff you can't even know about yet. Buying stuff with Zen in this way is similar to putting money down on a Lifetime Sub - due to that the stuff you buy is 'permanent'. If you spend enough Zen, you will eventually have a ghetto lifetime sub. But you will have to PLAY a lot... To earn all that Zen. Oh lawd.. The pain of it.. Thank goodness I have 'RL' to take me away from all that.

Q can buy you Zen. You can buy other cool stuff with it (gear, etc), otherwise people wouldn't trade their Zen for it, When you trade Q for Zen you are trading with other players who are fat with Zen and wanna buy stuff with the Q you farmed. Q can be earned in a multitude of ways. I personally think that Nemesis alerts, which there are tons of lately, are the easiest -especially if you have a toon that can basically run the alert solo. Patil, over next to Defender in Ren Center can give you dailies (3 alerts to complete) to earn Q - you generally want to be level 20+ to run these - 30+ is better, 40 w/gear is best for the least failures. If you see someone recruiting for Nemcons, these are good. There are other ways, too.

G is in-game money to buy in-game items like gear, consumables, costume pieces, etc and so on.

As for the bastardized cousin thing, I would say, give CO a chance to stand on it's own merits as it's own game. I look at it as a special bonus that we can relive some CoH experiences in CO like we can't anywhere else but CO is it's own game with it's own strengths and weaknesses.

As for the 'farming' references. Yeah, I farm, I've done it in every online game I ever played. I don't make it my goal in gaming life but I do find a comfortable spot for it. I like my shiny preciouses.. Just find a way to earn Q that fits your playstyle and eventually it will pile up on it's own as you are playing the game.

Just my two cents! Hope ya have fun : )

Some Faves:

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »
Aw, nuts. I'm still thinking in CoH terms. I was expecting to find that CO had "rounded off" the subscription-sale expiration to extend through the weekend, like CoH used to do.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.