Author Topic: City of Champions  (Read 17067 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: City of Champions
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2013, 05:46:36 AM »
Well at one point, there was rampant copyright copies in COX too. They eventually cracked down on them but before then, there were plenty of wolverines copies. At one point in time I seen more wolverine copies more than I seen claw/regen scrapper that looked like it came from the mind of the player.

Then even after the crack down, there still were some, at least for a while before they got genericed.

In CO, they don't seem to enforce much of anything in game. People talk crazy that even in WoW they would have got banned for life. And they definitely don't police up the copycats. You would think, Cryptic, would have learned from the first lawsuit. Now they seem to be asking for it because by not enforcing it, they look like they are actually encouraging it and this time Marvel wouldn't need any tricks. They could log into any MC and within 5-10 mins see a problem that is not being addressed.

But what other people build have no bearing on how much or less or my mood of enjoying the game. If that was the case I wouldn't have made it beyond the third month after starting COX due to the abundance of wolverine clones.

Also on another note, although there have been many suggestions from ex-coxers there of "they should do this and that like COX", and some are good ideas but then again why would they go through the trouble of imitating COX only to have those same COXErs that joined and suggested the ideas to jump ship as soon as COX emulator or cox successor comes out while at the same time pissing off their core players, which many been playing CO rather than COX, or in some cases both, even while COX was alive, a fact that many seem to forget? Right now, the influx of players from COX overall are unsteady and unstable at best to actually even consider implementing any of their ideas with the high risk of by the time they get to it, they are on their way out anyways.

The playerbase mentality is the exact problem I have with CO in may ways.  Millennium city chat is alot like barrens chat from what i'd heard, you have alot of trolls with a very negative mentality that only drive more players away.  It's been like that long before CoX's shut down, and I blame that more then anything for the smaller player base CO had to suffer from, though content issues certainly do alot of damage, combined with the player base being filled with trolls in the wrong places with little enforcement only seems to double on top of each other as problems.

Edit; The "from what I heard" refers to the comments people make about WoW's barrens chat.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:56:25 AM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2013, 08:58:18 PM »
I have a simple way you can judge at least a portion of the CO playerbase mentality without ever logging in. Check out my, Jag's, DW's, Brou's, Todogut's, and others here that aren't on the tip of my brain atm but will probly offer up their name on request, posts. I think we're all regular players. Sorry for any speeling errorz on names..

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2013, 11:22:05 PM »
I try to avoid unmoderated channels in most games because: A) people feel liberated in bad way to say what they want (gay,fag,queer,homo, etc.) B) many people seem to degenerate into 14 year olds.

BUT the COX channel is just fine. Join that channel you'll find help if you need it and people just generally being cool.

Someone posted about how bad it is to go from paid to FTP. I can accept that. But when you do pay and still have to pay more to unlock your drops? That really seems like double dipping to me.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2013, 11:27:21 PM »
I try to avoid unmoderated channels in most games because: A) people feel liberated in bad way to say what they want (gay,fag,queer,homo, etc.) B) many people seem to degenerate into 14 year olds.

BUT the COX channel is just fine. Join that channel you'll find help if you need it and people just generally being cool.

Someone posted about how bad it is to go from paid to FTP. I can accept that. But when you do pay and still have to pay more to unlock your drops? That really seems like double dipping to me.

oh yeah overall COX and CORP are good channels. COX been improving a lot lately. Less dark cloud bringers and less edgy people lately. It still has it's "off" days, but that's any channel. COX has transformed into a solid channel.

At first had to avoid COX channel mostly, too much grieving, too much "CO aint like COX and so it sucks" and other mood killers. But I figured it will wan off as time goes on and it did, faster than I thought. I can now personally recommend it as a good place to go and enjoy one self. Although lately been spending more time on CORP. It's like seasons. Some weeks I spend more time on COX and merely monitor CORP other weeks I'm on CORP and monitoring COX.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 08:03:03 AM »
I played CO a lot when it first released (670 odd hours according to Steam) I have several max level alts based on my COH characters. I've redownloaded the game a few times since it has been f2p but every time I get reminded why I dislike the f2p model when I look at all of the freeform characters I can't use.

I would be happy to play the game if I had access to my original characters in their original forms (even SOE realized that their locking people out of characters when converting to F2P was a really bad idea), and if I were playing the game I would be happy to spend money on cosmetics, vehicles, hideouts etc. I am not happy to have to spend ridiculous amounts of money (or be forced into subbing) just to actually be able to play my characters.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »
One of the members of my Friday night group had let his sub lapse prior to Black Friday, so he was pretty limited when first logging back in. He was fortunate to have a lot of Paragon Points that had accrued during the time his sub was active, so he could unlock some toons, but his main was initially locked because it was a MM. I did make a free account of my own to try things "on the other side." I don't think that CoH made as much of its content available to free players, percentage-wise, as CO does, but, just due to sheer volume after 8+ years, that still amounted to more than a free player got out of most games.

As for chat, I haven't noticed the level of vulgarity that is being alluded to, here, but I don't spend much time in the game. I also don't think I've spent any time, beyond transit, in MC since the emote crash problem, though that's not by design. I'm focusing on a character that is beyond the content level. What I found unsettling in Warcraft was the zone chat in the Hinterlands. I don't know why, there, but the tone was much more off-putting. There was vulgarity, though not anything I'd call a slur. When I have paid attention to zone chat in CO, recently, I haven't seen anything that left me wondering why a mod wasn't stepping in, where the chat in the Hinterlands of WoW seemed like it needed a mod presence.

I have only a limited cross-section to go by, but it may also be a question of timing. I have a family emergency in progress, but I will see if I can get on this evening and watch chat in MC for a while. Maybe if more players start filing reports, the alleged mods will pay more attention.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
Heartaches of being locked out of freeform characters due to the switch to F2P
This is another thing that generally ticks me off about CO, and discourages me from considering subscribing.

Sure, I could sub, convert my characters to freeforms, obtain extra default costume pieces, and enjoy all the perks that go with it.  Thing is, I usually don't play MMOs, and particularly F2P MMOs, consistently for years on end (CoH was, and has been, the only exception).  I typically play for two to four months, then I stop for a while, sometimes a couple of weeks, sometimes a month or so, and then if I really liked the game, I come back for another third of a year.

Sometimes, it takes me a two or three weeks to decide whether or not that an MMO I've just gotten into (or returned to), is something I really want to invest time in.  Under CO's model, that entire time would be spent locked out of characters I developed as a subscriber.  Characters that, in my opinion, I've already paid for the right to use as they are.  I wouldn't mind being locked out of their costume options if I went to change their costumes, or maybe being forced to go back to an archetype if I wanted to respec them, but I should at least be able to play them as they are.

To me, that's a pretty hefty discouragement.  It's a big reason why I don't sub in the first place - if I ever let that sub lapse, all my characters I developed and worked on during my subscription are kaput unless I'm willing to accept a F2P archetype for them.  And then on top of that, only half the archetypes in the game are available to a basic Silver account - the rest have to be purchased with Zen, so even if there is an archetype that fits my character design fairly well, I've only got a 50/50 chance of having access to it.  I also have to remake their costume and remove costume parts that are free under a Gold account, but must be purchased with Zen or unlocked ingame if you're Silver.

When you're subscribing, you're essentially getting your characters on a lease.  If you ever let that sub expire, they send the digital equivalent of a repo man after your stuff, and give you a list of demands you must meet if you ever want to play them again.  That's offputting, to say the least.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »
This is another thing that generally ticks me off about CO, and discourages me from considering subscribing.

Sure, I could sub, convert my characters to freeforms, obtain extra default costume pieces, and enjoy all the perks that go with it.  Thing is, I usually don't play MMOs, and particularly F2P MMOs, consistently for years on end (CoH was, and has been, the only exception).  I typically play for two to four months, then I stop for a while, sometimes a couple of weeks, sometimes a month or so, and then if I really liked the game, I come back for another third of a year.

Sometimes, it takes me a two or three weeks to decide whether or not that an MMO I've just gotten into (or returned to), is something I really want to invest time in.  Under CO's model, that entire time would be spent locked out of characters I developed as a subscriber.  Characters that, in my opinion, I've already paid for the right to use as they are.  I wouldn't mind being locked out of their costume options if I went to change their costumes, or maybe being forced to go back to an archetype if I wanted to respec them, but I should at least be able to play them as they are.

To me, that's a pretty hefty discouragement.  It's a big reason why I don't sub in the first place - if I ever let that sub lapse, all my characters I developed and worked on during my subscription are kaput unless I'm willing to accept a F2P archetype for them.  And then on top of that, only half the archetypes in the game are available to a basic Silver account - the rest have to be purchased with Zen, so even if there is an archetype that fits my character design fairly well, I've only got a 50/50 chance of having access to it.  I also have to remake their costume and remove costume parts that are free under a Gold account, but must be purchased with Zen or unlocked ingame if you're Silver.

When you're subscribing, you're essentially getting your characters on a lease.  If you ever let that sub expire, they send the digital equivalent of a repo man after your stuff, and give you a list of demands you must meet if you ever want to play them again.  That's offputting, to say the least.

Hmmm If I reacall even in COX, if that sub lapse, you get locked out most of the characters, besides two and assuming one isn't a MM or Dominator.

But in CO it could work either way. IN one scenario is could work where every character is locked out due to be freeform. Or it could work out at least all three is available if they were AT that is available to free accounts.

I can see the good and bad in that method. It sucks if one let their sub expire for situations they cant control. But humans being humans would have found a way to play the system if they could if all you had to do was pay a sub once and anything you make or had was still available if you let the sub ended. Meaning that one person could pay for one month, $15, make a bunch of stuff, and never pay again and have all the benefits of a sub still or rather LTS without paying anything more. 

In MMO, everything is a lease. Nothing is owned besides maybe the disk and a few things that are on them. How much a person choose to put into that lease is up to them. Like Kickstarter and other "investments" it's risky and a chance to loose everything.

Me personally, free to play was a dumb idea, but I understand from a business standpoint. It seems like people lack the ability to just be satisfied with a test run for free. They want everything for free and want everything without paying. AKA, they cannot be satisfied even though they don't put in a single dime. It should be either pay sub or get maybe one or two ATs to test run to a certain level then either pay or stop. A Demo. People seem to demand a lot sometimes for something they don't even pay anything for. If they want the perks, then they should pay. If they don't want to pay  the sub then they are are and should be at the mercy of the generosity of the game makers and be willing to pay the premium for stuff that could get with a simple sub. on the market. It's getting to a point where some are getting so full of it and think they should get the world for free that soon they will demanding to be paid by the game publisher to play the game at all.

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »
... soon they will demanding to be paid by the game publisher to play the game at all.

In a sense, CO has paid me to play the game for free. While having fun playing the game, I've accumulated the Questionite in-game currency and exchanged it on the Questionite Exchange for Zen--Perfect World's game store currency, which you can buy with real-world money. I've used Zen to buy the following items in the Z-Store without paying any real-world money:

8 character slots @ 1,400 Zen per 2 character slots = 5,600 Zen
3 archetypes @ 1,150 Zen each = 3,450 Zen
3 costume sets @ 475 Zen each = 1,425 Zen
1 travel power @ 525 Zen

Total = 11,000 Zen

The CO Wiki shows that 100 Zen can be bought for $1. (I don't know if this rate is current.) So, CO has "paid" me with $110 worth of in-game items.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2013, 11:13:57 PM »
In a sense, CO has paid me to play the game for free. While having fun playing the game, I've accumulated the Questionite in-game currency and exchanged it on the Questionite Exchange for Zen--Perfect World's game store currency, which you can buy with real-world money. I've used Zen to buy the following items in the Z-Store without paying any real-world money:

8 character slots @ 1,400 Zen per 2 character slots = 5,600 Zen
3 archetypes @ 1,150 Zen each = 3,450 Zen
3 costume sets @ 475 Zen each = 1,425 Zen
1 travel power @ 525 Zen

Total = 11,000 Zen

The CO Wiki shows that 100 Zen can be bought for $1. (I don't know if this rate is current.) So, CO has "paid" me with $110 worth of in-game items.

That zen to dollar rate is about right. I think some that are $20 or $30 and up package come with extra zen but generally $100 zen=$1.

How long did it take you to do that? Sounds like if you do it in a week, that's $110 a week pay, a part time job pay. :D

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2013, 11:34:03 PM »
The varying rate of exchange on the Questionite Exchange is disadvantageous, currently around 209 Questionite per 1 Zen--not what I would term a good pay rate for a part-time job.

The Questionite that I've accumulated and exchanged for Zen as noted in my previous post was over a long period of time and casual play. Again, not an efficient means of earning in-game items; but, still, a nice bonus that accrues while having fun playing the game.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »
The varying rate of exchange on the Questionite Exchange is disadvantageous, currently around 209 Questionite per 1 Zen--not what I would term a good pay rate for a part-time job.

The Questionite that I've accumulated and exchanged for Zen as noted in my previous post was over a long period of time and casual play. Again, not an efficient means of earning in-game items; but, still, a nice bonus that accrues while having fun playing the game.
yup.

Hellgeist

• Underling
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2013, 04:05:33 AM »
I played both CoX and Champions for years, and while I like the greater abundance of options and customizations in CO, and loved the fact that the combat requires a bit more skill, I still think CoX was a better game. All my good memories are from CoX.

Be that as it may, I did give Champions a dedicated try after NCSoft pulled the plug, hoping to build something new and hopefully good. Unfortunately, I bought a lifetime account from a person who was done with the game, and got what I thought was a 'deal'. He waited a month before he called PWE and reported his account stolen. Of course, I lost everything, including all I had transferred to that account from my old characters who I'd also re-rolled. I think you can imagine the disappointment. Apparently, this had happened a few times with this guy, and its likely that other people are doing it too - be warned.

At any rate, while I would really like to play a superhero game, this experience really turned me off of CO, and I don't really feel that eager to go back and start over. This happened right as many CoX folks were 7ust starting coming over, and I had not gotten involved in a serious group yet, so.. why go back?

~Hellgeist
Illusion/FF Controller, on Virtue

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2013, 04:24:49 AM »
I played both CoX and Champions for years, and while I like the greater abundance of options and customizations in CO, and loved the fact that the combat requires a bit more skill, I still think CoX was a better game. All my good memories are from CoX.

Be that as it may, I did give Champions a dedicated try after NCSoft pulled the plug, hoping to build something new and hopefully good. Unfortunately, I bought a lifetime account from a person who was done with the game, and got what I thought was a 'deal'. He waited a month before he called PWE and reported his account stolen. Of course, I lost everything, including all I had transferred to that account from my old characters who I'd also re-rolled. I think you can imagine the disappointment. Apparently, this had happened a few times with this guy, and its likely that other people are doing it too - be warned.

At any rate, while I would really like to play a superhero game, this experience really turned me off of CO, and I don't really feel that eager to go back and start over. This happened right as many CoX folks were 7ust starting coming over, and I had not gotten involved in a serious group yet, so.. why go back?

~Hellgeist
Illusion/FF Controller, on Virtue

Yeah I would recommend to never buy an account from a person especially if a stranger even if they say they are "done with the game". That is about as risky as bare backing a lab. container full of a contagious flesh eating virus. Even if the person is known on a an actual personal off line basis, it's still risky.

Best thing is just create your own. Hopefully you don't hold it against the game.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2013, 03:01:13 PM »
Most games I play at explicitly say that they don't recognize changes in account ownership.  Or, more accurately, that you don't own an account, and so anyone who "sells" it is selling something they don't actually own.  So that particular scam is not limited just to CO, but to any game with accounts (i.e., all MMOs everywhere)

Checking the Perfect World EULA, it says the same thing:
You do not have ownership of and may not sell, transfer, trade or auction any Accounts, characters, items, coin, Zen or Proprietary Materials, nor may you assist others in doing so, except as expressly authorized by PWE. PWE does not recognize any transfers occurring outside of the Service of anything related to the Service.

So, yeah, they were breaking the EULA by selling the account in the first place.  You can report them if you have some record of the transaction.  It won't get you the account or your money back, but it'll keep them from selling it over and over.

I guess it's saying something about CO, though, that you don't want to start over with your own account.  If CoH came back up right now with all of my characters gone, I'd start over in a heartbeat.  (While I'd miss my Vet rewards and Market purchases, I'd miss the pile of Inf that I use to finance new characters the most.  Still wouldn't stop me)