Author Topic: ....and the new Doctor is..........  (Read 9339 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: ....and the new Doctor is..........
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »
The last Doctor the "old" was the 3rd and he did plenty of running around.  In a cape and frilly shirt.  With barely 20 something year olds.  Well they looked awful young.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
considering that 10 and 11 were getting younger (relatively speaking) thay would have had to cast a 20-something to keep up. Not sure I could have handled that.
New actor, new interpretation. All part of the charm of the show. I'll be looking forward to it.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 02:52:51 PM »
Will miss Matt Smith.  He was my favourite Doctor and for me hugely reminscent of the 2nd Doctor, Patrick Troughton.

Peter Capaldi is a great choice.  Perhaps the most accomplished actor of the lot.  I remember him s a young actor in one of my favourite films, Local Hero.

Many have said he looks like a Doctor.  This is so true.  I'm sure he'll be great but he does look to me like the lovechild of the 3rd Doctor, John Pertwee, and Tom Baker - two I really never liked but both of whom were quite popular.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »
He looks potentially good.  I think the swooning girl fan club may hate him for being old and creepy, though.  Maybe we'll get a Doctor who spends less time running madly about.
funny you should say that right after i posted this to my G+
Quote from: eoraptor
unless it means a saucy may-december romance subplot.

yeah, sorry, I just had to put that out there to spoil someones' day. hehe I too hope it means less of the doctor pining and more of the serious-angled story arcs. not that there's not room for both, I just think they took things like rose and river a step too far.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »
The last Doctor the "old" was the 3rd and he did plenty of running around.  In a cape and frilly shirt.  With barely 20 something year olds.  Well they looked awful young.

Preferred driving to running, I'd say.  Pertwee's gotta be my favourite.  He was a bit less "creepy old" and a bit more "dashing old", though.  That could've been a cape effect...

And Jo was cute.  Didn't she do a controversial nude photo shoot for a magazine back during the show?
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 08:54:03 PM »
Pertwee and Davison were my favorites.

The actors' ages have been up and down over the years, but mostly down.  Hartnell was 55 (but seemed to play him a lot older; I would have said he was in his 60s). Troughton was 46.  Pertwee was 50 - nearly as old as Hartnell, but played a much more active character (the only incarnation of the Doctor who was more than willing to settle issues with his fists).  Both Bakers (Four and Six) were 40 when they took the role, with Davison only 29 in between.  The Doctor got older again, with the 44-year-old McCoy, and then younger, with the 36-year-old McGann.  Then New Who started with Eccleston, the oldest Doctor of the three, who was 41, followed by 34-year-old Tenant and 27-year-old Smith.

Now Peter Capaldi is 55 years old, the same as Hartnell when he started, bringing it full circle.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »
thanks for the recap :) though one Whovian tidbit that will never cease to amuse me is that the show has been on so long now that doctors are generational, with Tennant marrying Davison's daughter and all that.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 01:18:39 AM »
Capaldi also inherits a pretty shaken up status quo too.

The Daleks don't know him.
The Cybermen are an active threat to him (Makes me wonder if they'd consider bringing back Matt to guest star as the Cyber Planner/Mister Clever again)
The Silence fear him.

And SOMEBODY remote piloted and detonated the TARDIS. (Seriously, this hanging plot thread from Season 5 is driving me mad!)
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Magus Prime

• Boss
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 07:59:43 AM »
I'm excited because THIS is what we have to look forward to!!!

Be warned: not suitable for children, work, or upstanding citizens!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 08:37:03 AM »
And SOMEBODY remote piloted and detonated the TARDIS. (Seriously, this hanging plot thread from Season 5 is driving me mad!)

That thread is tied up this season according to the Moff.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2013, 12:56:24 AM »
Preferred driving to running, I'd say.  Pertwee's gotta be my favourite.  He was a bit less "creepy old" and a bit more "dashing old", though.  That could've been a cape effect...

And Jo was cute.  Didn't she do a controversial nude photo shoot for a magazine back during the show?
Indeed. She posed with a DALEK :D

Also, Pertwee was the man!
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Richpur

• Underling
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2013, 01:59:56 AM »
Rewatch his episode; except for the actual story, they're pretty clear about it. John Hurt was a 'past Doctor'. A Doctor nobody mentions. He did something VERY bad.

They're inside his own time stream, beginning to current end; the chronology is a bit complex. I'm expecting him to have been going to be #13.
Note To Self : Toggles.

Botzo

• Minion
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 02:34:58 AM »
My inner villain wants John Simm to come back. Yeah he's a bit messed up but, THAT is why I love him. I would watch a show called The Master if they ever decided to do a spinoff. At least to have him come back and remark about how the Doctor has changed, with the Doctor explaining that's he's regenerated twice up to that point. I guess I'll just have to settle with the supposed Tennant reappearance  somewhere in the anniversary episode. Judoon Platoon, on the moon.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 08:22:49 PM »
Indeed. She posed with a DALEK :D

Also, Pertwee was the man!

You just sparked a memory and I had to go hunt this down.

The following is hilarious in a bizarre (and NSFW) kind of way so it'll be spoiler tagged. But the basic idea behind the following bizarreness was - what if a portion of the Daleks evolved to be not so murderous, split off from the main group and actually made an honest attempt to join galactic civilization. Develop *GASP* actual culture and whatnot. Well... Through various interactions, mistranslation follies, and a VERY eccentric and slightly corrupt media mogul or two, someone thought a comic based on the adventures of a particularly (and strangely) debonair Dalek might work. And it became inexplicably popular. Spawning a movie and TV series.

Or - to put it another way - if anyone remembers the "Blasto - The First Hanar Spectre" gag from Mass Effect 2?

Well, this is the Dalek version of James Bond.

No. Really.

Severe brain breakage ahead. Don't say I didn't warn you. ;D
Spoiler for Hidden: