Author Topic: Editing Images  (Read 3414 times)

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
Editing Images
« on: August 07, 2013, 02:14:06 AM »
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've seen in various threads, where people extract, edit and replace textures in game, such as capes. I'm having real problems doing something like that.

I can extract as BMP or DDS. I have Gimp and Corel. I have the older Pigg viewer that will make a texture back again from BMP or DDS. I know about the right folders to put it in. No matter how I try to save these things, it is borked in testing back in game. The textures don't show up, or are tiny pixelated dots like confetti. All I'm trying to do is recolor the image, and save successfully.

I believe the problem is with the image somehow, after I work on it and try to save it. I don't think it's saving all the darn little mipmaps correctly. I'm trying to work on the texture: texworld.pigg\texture_library\WORLD\nature\foliage\trees\Oak1\leaves_coniferbranch_dead.texture. I'm working on this one, because I know what map to look at for this one- the destroyed atlas park map. no sense in finding other files until I can make this one work.

Maybe this is different than the costume textures, and it just doesn't work the same way. Can anyone who knows anything about editing give me a clue about this?

LKN-351

• Lieutenant
Re: Editing Images
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 06:03:09 PM »
Sounds like you might be adding an alpha channel where the image doesn't actually use one and/or formatting it as a DXT5 instead of a DXT1. Make sure that the DDS file your going to convert back to a texture doesn't have an alpha stuck into it when you save it. I had a issue for a few days where I thought I was saving a file with no alpha and in actuality photoshop was sticking one into it when I saved it as a DDS.

I'm guessing you know his but I figure I outta mention it anyways... make sure the extracted file and the file your importing back into the game have the exact same dimensions.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 06:26:32 PM »
What LKN said.

Also make sure your color depth is staying the same as well. I know when I work with things in PaintShop Pro (also by corel) that to apply some of the effects I want to use, I have to up it to 8 bit from 256k or 16 color, and then remember to down-convert it back when I save. It could be the game is getting more color data than it expects and is borking. Especially true of PNGs which can use wither 16 color mode of the full pallet depending on what its flagged as.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »
I'll check these things out.  Thanks, guys!

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
I know this is a little late, but I've been have the same problem recently. 24 bit bmps, indexed color bmps, and dds were all giving me funky results; the first two just as described here, the last not showing up on the map at all. I was able to get the dds to .texture conversions working properly in GIMP by making sure to have the correct dds settings when exporting it: DXT5, generate mipmaps.

Hope that helps anyone else with similar problems. I know I only stumbled across this thread from Googling my bmp and dds problems.