Author Topic: any update on google?  (Read 20536 times)

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
Re: any update on google?
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »
I will never give up hope on CoH, that first day back to Paragon will be just as sweet as the first. Please Google say Yes..  :D :D

Same here! :)

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »
AMEN...I believe we will get it back.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
  • The one The only Alpha Protocol V2.9
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 08:42:08 PM »
I hope we get some news as to whats happening soon hopefully it will be good news :D.
Daoc CoH and WoW

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 09:02:23 AM »
Suddenly it all made perfect sense. The silence. The refusal to discuss or negotiate with the community. The doubletalk about what was or was not done regading the game's future. The sudden reversal on the decision to take Paragon Studios independent.

You want to solve any mystery ever? 3 words - Follow the Money. .
Throughout CoH's history only one company ever tried to kill CoH. Marvel, back in 2004, filed copyright infringement in California. In 2007 (not 2005 as heavily reported) NC and Marvel met behind closed doors and resolved the matter out-of-court.

The terms of the settlement were never released.

Much of Marvel's evidence was inadmissible because Marvel themselves had logged in to CoH and created a Hulk, Wolverine, etc. It was the players who were committing "infringement" not NC, who was acting as just a service provider, and protected under the DMCA.
I believe Marvel was finally ready for Beta and called NC and said "Remember our agreement? You can make all the cash you want until we're ready, building a player base for us in the process? We're ready, kill it now." Or something to that affect.

NC's reaction was as swift and as complete as any legal compliance. A mildly profitable game with a steadily growing playerbase that they are legally forbidden from ever profiting from again. I believe the settlement forbids them from hosting it, selling it, or even disclosing the terms of the settlement itself.

I know there's many who will quote this-and-that and claim I'm wrong because they remember blahblahblah.
Decide for yourself, read what I've read, the actual court documents and exhibits - https://www.eff.org/cases/marvel-v-ncsoft

FYI - in 2004 Marvel owned over 1800 character copyrights, some in current publication, but most not. Chances are your main toon was very similar to some character Marvel owned and could prosecute you for.
Just my 2 cents. Hope the Google thing works out. I'd love nothing more than to be very, very wrong about this.

Edit: Marvel owned 18,000 not 1,800 copyrighted characters. My bad.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:30:54 AM by Floride »
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 09:07:01 AM »
*passes Floride one of Joshex's (or maybe it's one of JaguarX's) tinfoil hats*
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »

Infidel! Unbeliever! Your kind will work the fields when the lizard men come to powe--Oooh! A shiny hat! Sweet, Thanks!
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »
Infidel! Unbeliever! Your kind will work the fields when the lizard men come to powe--Oooh! A shiny hat! Sweet, Thanks!

lol... best ever comeback.
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 03:34:39 PM »

I knew I was missing a tin foil hat. I been looking all over the place for it.

mixedemotions

• Underling
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 06:07:09 AM »

It's not about the hat, it's about the shiny !! ha ha
Haley James / Mixed Emotions, @Celest aka @ashleyak

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 02:54:01 PM »
LOL re: hats, but as regards the OP, remember that we, i.e. Titan Network and friends, won't hear if a buyer is interested.  An interested buyer will contact NCSoft, and for obvious reasons keep things quiet until a resolution is reached one way or another.  We really don't amount to anything more than the general public in the eyes of these companies -- prospective customers, perhaps, but not involved in the sale in any way -- so we wouldn't hear anything before a public announcement were ready.

So, don't give up hope just because we have not heard anything.  Maybe the idea didn't catch Google's fancy, but we really wouldn't have heard at this point if it had.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 07:35:56 PM »
LOL re: hats, but as regards the OP, remember that we, i.e. Titan Network and friends, won't hear if a buyer is interested. 
If that's the case, then it's time to move onto the next pitch and try another company. 

Spellcaster Hana

• Minion
  • City of Heroes will always and forever be my home.
    • Hana's Deviantart
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 01:13:19 AM »
Any update or news about Google yet? Honestly, I want them to save COX but all this waiting is making me antsy...   :-\
"Sometimes, crossing the line is necessary in order to move forward."
"ALL HAIL EMPEROR COLE!!!" ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
----------
My Deviantart: http://hanariblue.deviantart.com

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 11:14:44 AM »
I remember Victoria Victrix saying that there was a whole list of contacts that were being wooed. She, along with others here are working behind the scenes to try and get our city back, I am sure. It is hard to sit here and just wait, but try to keep spirits and faith up.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »
according to a poster on savecityofheroes on facebook, cryptic is working with google to get city of. look for a post from a tony ranchich
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 08:05:10 PM »
I saw it to.  I am hopeful, the reason being I know some devs such as positron had been working at cryptic.  This could be a good thing for us.  Before anyone worries to much remember PWE had, along with cryptic, decided to create the studio cryptic north and transfer CO over to that studio.  So CO wouldn't be getting the shaft all the time.  Perhaps CoX will get the attention it needs to get new stuff like it used to, or at least close to that.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 08:44:34 PM »
I hope youre right alex :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »
That would be, waaaaaay, too cool!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
It's easy for anyone to appear out of nowhere and say "I heard from a good source who I can't name that yadda yadda yadda", but I wouldn't count on it being even remotely true, not without some confirmation from people I already trust.  (Or without identifying this Tony Ranchich as someone I already trust, but the name's not familiar)

Of course, I want it to be true, so I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »
Yeah... doubley so if it came from facebook. I'm sorry, but I have an abysmally dim view of the type of person who frequents facebook. And antics like this are why. There's no logical reason why cryptic, who has nothing to do with City of Heroes, and Google, who never did, and who don't share any common business interests, would be working together to resurrect a dead game. It's most assuredly some troll seeking t get a rise out of people for whatever reason that people do that sort of thing.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »
Yeah... doubley so if it came from facebook. I'm sorry, but I have an abysmally dim view of the type of person who frequents facebook. And antics like this are why. There's no logical reason why cryptic, who has nothing to do with City of Heroes, and Google, who never did, and who don't share any common business interests, would be working together to resurrect a dead game. It's most assuredly some troll seeking t get a rise out of people for whatever reason that people do that sort of thing.

Because they know people will take it and run with it while they sit back and for amusement see how far it goes.

Why? I don't have the answer to that either. I guess maybe it's entertaining to them like some people like setting up practical jokes and putting it on youtube.