Author Topic: Icon 1.71  (Read 13813 times)

Tom_Neverwinter

• Underling
Re: Icon 1.71
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 09:42:06 PM »
Im running on windows 7 through a vm

no drivers installed for video and no .net or c++
this vm is dedicated to coh
I run the vm as 2 cores and 2GB of ram
I have not played the official game in a long time.
i am usin beta 24 latest

I use a amd radeon 7850 on a core i7 3820
8GB ram

thanks in advance

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 02:58:50 PM »
Well, I don't see anything strange other than the no video drivers.

Beta Client would be the most recent version of the game... you probably wanna see if you can get some drivers, then report back?

I'm not too familiar with windows 7/VMs, but still...

:P
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »
Yeah, if you have no video drivers installed then anything that uses the video card (IE, any game ever) is going to not run properly, if at all.

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
  • The one The only Alpha Protocol V2.9
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 06:23:24 AM »
When i try to load into the game it says server is busy..... any ideas how to fix this
Daoc CoH and WoW

Gothenem

• Minion
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 11:38:06 AM »
Just going out on a limb here. Make sure the Icon file is in the City of Heroes folder (Should be C:/Program Files (x86)/City of Heroes or something like that)

And run the icon file, NOT the game file.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 06:08:38 PM »
I'd also make sure it's in the CoH BETA folder.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 10:02:58 PM »
Make sure you have the latest version too, download it from the first post and replace it with the one you have.
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Tom_Neverwinter

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 02:35:34 AM »
redownloaded and still black screen,
I installed something that was missing,
direct x

probably should put that in a big required box.

the loading screen shows?
then black screen
and button sounds but still nothing.

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2013, 11:18:09 AM »
Technically it is in a required box...the one on the CoH game box. Some form of Direct X is required for just about every single PC game for them to run properly, this isn't really about Icon, it's about what you need to run the game in the first place. Since you didn't seem to know about that, I feel it's fair to ask is your computer meet the minimum requirements for CoX? I'm afraid have the list of stuff on hand, but does anyone else?

redownloaded and still black screen,
I installed something that was missing,
direct x

probably should put that in a big required box.

the loading screen shows?
then black screen
and button sounds but still nothing.
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 08:38:21 PM »
Technically it is in a required box...the one on the CoH game box. Some form of Direct X is required for just about every single PC game for them to run properly, this isn't really about Icon, it's about what you need to run the game in the first place. Since you didn't seem to know about that, I feel it's fair to ask is your computer meet the minimum requirements for CoX? I'm afraid have the list of stuff on hand, but does anyone else?
Not quite... Since Vista came out, DirectX core elements has been substantially slimmed down. Many elements found in 98,ME, and XP have to be downloaded with a manual updater. many older games I play now require me to plug this manual updater in. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Plus, yeah, if you're running a virtualbox, particularly under linux, it is a needed but not included prerequisite.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 12:55:46 AM »
I don't know about that. I haven't installed a single game in the past 4 years, at least, that hasn't required me to install Direct X 9, 10, or 11 in order for it to run and in 95% of those cases had it install it itself as part of it's install program. However, I know Direct X is needed for CoX. CoV itself required at least 9.0, so I wonder if he might be missing something else from the requirements since at this point all he seems to be missing is the ability to see the game.

Not quite... Since Vista came out, DirectX core elements has been substantially slimmed down. Many elements found in 98,ME, and XP have to be downloaded with a manual updater. many older games I play now require me to plug this manual updater in. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Plus, yeah, if you're running a virtualbox, particularly under linux, it is a needed but not included prerequisite.
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 01:39:56 AM »
It may have required 9.0 but not 9.0c.  I know because I got the game to run on an XP computer that couldn't upgrade to 9.0c

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 01:51:33 AM »
I've never had to install DirectX-anything for COH, since it uses OpenGL for graphics. Not on XP (IIRC) and definitely not on Win7. It does use DSound and DInput, but both of those are included in stock XP.

Running it in a VM, though, is something that has never worked. VMs typically don't have very good 3D support and most of that tends to be centered around Direct3D. Well, I did get it to run under VirtualBox for my quad box project, but it took hacking the game EXE to fix a bug that would cause it to crash when running with VirtualBox's GL passthrough driver. It wasn't exactly what I'd call pretty or very playable though.