Author Topic: Need a city?  (Read 4839 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Need a city?
« on: August 22, 2013, 11:06:06 PM »
hey there plan Zers, I may have found someone you'll be interested in. he's a blender artist who has designed low poly city pieces by block.

I'm sure with the right coaching on artistic style he could become a valuable asset. I sent him a link to come here. and I'll drop you a link to go there.

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?302035-Low-Poly-Car-Chase&p=2451636&posted=1#post2451636

hopefully you can all play nice. ;)
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Need a city?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
But why would they want to work with a low poly artist? That goes against the whole graphics style of any of the Plan Z's - they're all high-end rather than the cartoonish style that low-poly takes.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:02:57 AM »
It might be better to point him towards Cryptic - his style would fit in with CO very well, and he'd double the size of their dev team.

But more seriously, that is unfortunately nowhere near the kind of art we're using for "Heroes and Villains".
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:08:01 AM by Golden Girl »
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 02:20:17 AM »
But why would they want to work with a low poly artist? That goes against the whole graphics style of any of the Plan Z's - they're all high-end rather than the cartoonish style that low-poly takes.

heh, even CoH had it's minimum graphics mode, it changed more than just textures.

also ever notice that the building and street meshes are controlled by distance? when far away all the window frames disappear, and the building structure changes, the texture quality also gets a reduction, what actually happens is that the entire building is despawned and replaced with a low poly version.

Even the most modern MMO's use this featre, without it.. your game will be too high poly.

besides, low poly can look really good when done well.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 02:49:54 AM »
It'd be good for Toontown. Tell him to apply there. Oh wait, they're closing it.

<badum tish!>
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 03:19:40 AM »
It'd be good for Toontown. Tell him to apply there. Oh wait, they're closing it.

<badum tish!>

very well, I guess you seem to have this covered. just remember what I told you if your game is too high poly.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 04:00:58 AM »
I don't have a game. :)

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 04:19:12 AM »
Well, TPP is using Unreal, which practically invented real-time automatic LOD by reducing vertex count dynamically based on distance. Not sure if Hero Engine does something similar, but I wouldn't doubt that any modern engine has that capability built in.

Even COH's low-detail models were being machine-generated rather than done by hand by the time City of Villains came out. Check out AutoLOD.bin.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 05:54:46 AM »
Well, TPP is using Unreal, which practically invented real-time automatic LOD by reducing vertex count dynamically based on distance. Not sure if Hero Engine does something similar, but I wouldn't doubt that any modern engine has that capability built in.

Even COH's low-detail models were being machine-generated rather than done by hand by the time City of Villains came out. Check out AutoLOD.bin.

hmm interesting, other developers have told me near sensors such as those cause alot of memory usage. I told them I planned to use 4-5 near sensors on one map and they acted like I was crazy. they told me there are other methods and they are right lol.

auto vertex count reduction (or Decimation by name) is not always reliable. I found that out when I was tryign to get free human models out of Daz3D they ahd way too many polygons so i tried a decimate, lol bad idea. well not too bad if you're ok with deformed faces and messed up mouths and chaotic polygonal face placement on the body. though I suppose a building is a fairly simplistic object for a decimate to navigate around to determine which faces are not necessary.

Still, it's odd you say CoH had this function, from what I could tell as I tested it there seemed to be preset replacements for each object. at least visually it seemed that way.

oh well as they say, when it comes to low poly, the human touch is always better lol.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Those models would be great for City of Car Carpets.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 01:59:49 PM »

The term "low poly" refers to less than movie CGI resolution in terms of number of polygons.  It's misused in this case - because those sample images, they could be high-poly but still look like boxes with flat colors.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 06:09:32 AM »
The term "low poly" refers to less than movie CGI resolution in terms of number of polygons.  It's misused in this case - because those sample images, they could be high-poly but still look like boxes with flat colors.

the artist says low poly. but did not release a statement of exactly how many polygons, however I'll assume as his aim was lowpoly design we are looking at a map with alot less than is normally used by game studios.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 10:10:17 PM »
That's pretty cool! Not what I would assume any of the projects are going for, but cool nonetheless. And if he does end up wanting to work with a CoH successor, I would imagine he does more than just graphics of that style.

Edit: Just saw these cars on Kickstarter, and they look a lot like the design in that image: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1002183169/mo-to-modern-vintage-toy-cars I thought it was pretty cool.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:04:40 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame