Author Topic: I can, in fact, do this some more.  (Read 37231 times)

Yoru-hime

• Minion
Re: I can, in fact, do this some more.
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 03:11:53 PM »
I understand the feelings of despair. They largely kept me from playing during the final months. I kinda regret not being able to push that aside and enjoy what I had for those last few weeks, but the hurt and outrage and the feeling of emptiness were too much to deal with. It was a long time before I could even browse the wiki without feeling angry or blue. It's taking all of us our own time to deal with our losses and the magnitude of the task ahead of us and decide how we want to push forward.

As for me, I'm holding on to hope, but I'm also moving forward.

I still hope we get the game back, in some form, in the relatively near future (even if we do have to be a little hush-hush about it). Further down the road, I hope that MWM comes through big and in a few years the big publishers are staring in horror at a successful MMO powered by something other than corporate greed. Beyond that, I hope that they inspire others to do the same and ten or twelve years from now, the idea that an indifferent corporation could pull the plug on a player community's world will be as archaic as the floppy disk. Community-driven galaxies, cities, fantasy kingdoms and cyberpunk dystopias, far as the eye can see. Maybe that's getting into wishful thinking, but I can hope.

Meanwhile, though, I'm kinda through with grieving. Not that I wouldn't hop in game and start kicking some Council tail in a heartbeat if I could, but I'm tired of being sad and angry about it. If I'm spending time and energy on the matter, I want it to be positive. The funeral clothes are back in the closet. Either I'm reminiscing with a smile, or posting screenshots to remind people of how great CoH could be, or perhaps working with one of the recovery efforts (got some free time, finally).

I still haven't found a new MMO that has stuck yet, though I might try again sometime in the future. If I do, it won't be an NCSoft product. Not that I'm still filled with seething rage or think that anyone in Korea cares about my personal boycott, but the way that they manage their games is incompatible with what I want from an MMO, so I'm not going to shop there again. Nothing against those who do. These days, I'm spending the money I would have spent on CoH on some classic Steam games and I'm having a blast with it. FTL, Galactic Civ II, I've been on a space kick this last month or two. It's amazing how much game you can get for five bucks these days.

And, of course, I keep drifting back in here during my breaks at work, to savor the little bits of good news and to draw a little inspiration when things seem bleak and so that, when the big day finally comes, we can celebrate together.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »
Meanwhile, though, I'm kinda through with grieving. Not that I wouldn't hop in game and start kicking some Council tail in a heartbeat if I could, but I'm tired of being sad and angry about it. If I'm spending time and energy on the matter, I want it to be positive. The funeral clothes are back in the closet. Either I'm reminiscing with a smile, or posting screenshots to remind people of how great CoH could be, or perhaps working with one of the recovery efforts (got some free time, finally).

Yeah, you can only stay down in the dumps so long before it just gets old. Onward and upward, that's the spirit!

And, of course, I keep drifting back in here during my breaks at work, to savor the little bits of good news and to draw a little inspiration when things seem bleak and so that, when the big day finally comes, we can celebrate together.

That day is gonna rock so hard. Like seriously. ;D

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
I've completely and utterly lost hope that we're getting our game back.

My understanding is that reverse-engineering efforts often take several YEARS. YEARS!!!!! For simpler games than CoX.

I am impatient too. I really am. Logging into Icon makes me cry.

But we just have to be patient. NOTHING WORTH HAVING COMES EASILY.

I still cant believe what happened. I cant believe it. We all lost all our stuff, stuff we paid for and ground endlessly for. We ran the Magisterium trial 50 times per alt, and for what? How many BAFs did we run? Speaking for me, all together I probably ran 500 of those things. All so NCSoft could kill what we did, and laugh while they did it.

If we give up, NCSoft wins. Its that simple. We cant let them win.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
Re: I can't do this any more.
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied.  Please accept my apology for my original post; let's just say I was in a thoroughly unproductive frame of mind when I made it.  What I really wanted, and what I should have just come out and said, was, "I need a reason to believe."

Even though that's not what I said-- y'all came through.  Big-time.  I might not have the zeal I used to, but I've certainly got my hope back.

And this, Blue, is the hallmark of heroes: the willingness to stand back up and get back in the fight. Hold your torch high, keep the faith, and one day, perhaps sooner then we think, we'll be back in the skies of Paragon where we belong.

... until next year, in Paragon...
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Kurrent

• Minion
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2013, 08:55:36 PM »
I also think we're going to return to Paragon eventually, whether it's in the form of a miraculous about-face on the part of NCSoft or as a rebirth as City of Heroes 2 by some other company once NCSoft finally parts with the IP rights.  Our community is--not was, but IS--too unique, too special to entirely fade away.  It was the feel of community that made CoX the true breakthrough that it was, and it's that very same community that makes the loss so wrenching even almost a year later. 

Why do I think CoX is destined to rise again?  Tons of reasons.  Our spirit, our community, along with our unwillingness to give up on a cause we believe in.  The amazing cooperation and even collaboration between the developers, the artists and the players, which remains unmatched among any MMORPG to date.  The sheer wealth of content that 8.5 years had allowed to flourish, with niche (please don't beoffended, I mean it in a good way) powersets like Beam Rifle and Demon Summoning, niche costume pieces like Steampunk, RoboManga and Retro Sci-Fi.  Wide-open mission construction in Architect.  A character creator system which understood that appearance should NOT equal effect when it comes to gear and costume pieces.  An openness which permitted and even in rare cases encouraged players to poke around at the numbers, the mechanics, the statistics in an attempt to better understand the game's inner workings and then communicate those findings to the developers to help THEM make the game even better.

How much of this has yet to be replicated by any other MMORPG?  CoX is approaching its tenth birthday next year, and the next closest superhero MMORPG has accomplished maybe 5-10% of what CoX did.  5-10%.  I don't mean that as an exaggeration, either.  Nothing comes close.  Yes, some games have prettier graphics.  CoX's character models were old, sure.  But imagine how amazing they're going to look when we get CoH2. 

We'll be back one day, and God, is it going to feel good.  Until then, I have some pretty good ideas of what my characters have been up to while the lines of communication with Paragon have been dark.  They're still fighting the good (and bad, depending on the character) fight, so you'd better believe we have to keep fighting too.

Jo

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2013, 09:52:17 PM »
I don't kid myself about NC giving up the rights. They are no more going to give up those rights than I am going to grow wings and fly IRL.

They have abdicated leadership, they have given us nothing to follow. So they can just get out of our way. At this point they are irrelevant.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2013, 11:54:12 PM »
They have abdicated leadership, they have given us nothing to follow. So they can just get out of our way. At this point they are irrelevant.
Exactly.  I've said before, even before the actual shutdown, that we were going to get our City back - NCSoft just got to choose whether or not they were going to make any money in the process.  So far, it's looks like they're choosing to forfeit any profits on this venture - their loss, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2013, 12:25:23 AM »
Glad you didn't give up, Blue.  Otherwise, how would I harass your Warshade when we get to run amok in Paragon again?

(I swear, when we get the game back again, I'm going to need a second account just for all of the new character concepts I've squirreled away since shutdown...)

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2013, 12:52:01 AM »
(I swear, when we get the game back again, I'm going to need a second account just for all of the new character concepts I've squirreled away since shutdown...)
I know, I keep creating them in Mids.   :)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2013, 01:14:31 AM »
...But it wouldn't be something we could publicly crow about.

Hey, FatherXmas!   :P

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 01:50:24 AM »
DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN'T DO...

NEXT YEAR IN PARAGON!!!!

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2013, 01:52:25 AM »
ALSO AT THE SKI CHALET!!!!!

DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN'T DO THERE EITHER!!!

EXCLAMATION!!!!!!!!

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2013, 05:26:07 AM »
Don't tell me what TonyV can't do!  ;D
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2013, 05:31:14 AM »
NCsoft doesn't have to be involved to get City back. THE City. OUR City.

True in a way.  The city was just a place, a thing.  Things can be replaced.  We are the city.  The players who made it our home for so many years.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2013, 06:13:56 AM »
True in a way.  The city was just a place, a thing.  Things can be replaced.  We are the city.  The players who made it our home for so many years.

Thanks for pointing that out.
That's definitely not what I was pointing out and you know it. lol
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2013, 07:22:57 AM »
Yeah! You tell him Aggela-- Wait, what?

DID HE JUST CALL US "THINGS"?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2013, 02:45:55 AM »
NCsoft doesn't have to be involved to get City back. THE City. OUR City.

That's definitely not what I was pointing out and you know it. lol

Don't tell me you are one of those who believe NCSOFT can be forced to capitulate their IP to someone else?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2013, 02:51:44 AM »
Don't tell me you are one of those who believe NCSOFT can be forced to capitulate their IP to someone else?
Hell, no. But we don't need NCsoft to get our city back.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2013, 06:48:30 AM »
If we get the original back, whether as an MMO or as a standalone, then "Hurray!".

Personally, I'm savoring the thought of at least one of the successors giving me something that enables me to say, "NCSoft can go suck a grenade; I have THIS."
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2013, 03:22:21 PM »

It's easy enough to posit a number of situations that would compel NCSoft to cough up the IP for CoH -- and even the backups of the servers and codebase, if it still exists -- to someone else. That the CoH playerbase would be able to acquire the resources that would be required to put NCSoft in that position is what is unbelievable.