Author Topic: I can, in fact, do this some more.  (Read 37459 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: I can, in fact, do this some more.
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2013, 06:08:17 PM »
It's easy enough to posit a number of situations that would compel NCSoft to cough up the IP for CoH -- and even the backups of the servers and codebase, if it still exists -- to someone else. That the CoH playerbase would be able to acquire the resources that would be required to put NCSoft in that position is what is unbelievable.
yeah if NCSOFT still choose to do so. In theory they could probably release all of that for free. Into to compel someone you must find out what would compel them, which caries from situation to situation person to perons business to business corporation to corpoeration. I.E. Saying "Give me the code I'll give you ten million." Some companies will fly out a dude that day/or fly you in, with first class seats to see what the deal is about. Others wont even bothering to replying to the request.

You are right though, I'm not sure if the playerbase would be able to aquire the "resources" that would compel them.

Remember even if a company go bankrupt it doesnt mean their prpoerty is automatically divied up. There are many defunct products even when a company go through bankrupt that they hold on. I.E GM. Some brands they own the rights too, havent made in years or sold and in many cases the company holding the rights to brand still havent released product like Crysler still own the rights to the Desoto automobile but havent made one in decades. Maybach, been owned by DaimlerAG for nearly 100 years but prior to 2004, didnt sell a single automobile under the Maybach name since the early 1900s. Although that is also an example of the folly of sitting on unused property too long. When Maybach returned, not many people even knew what Maybach was or that it even existed before. Even GM owns a long list of product they no longer make, some not since 1931, and even when thye needed bailout and went bankrupt and had to reset their stock symbol and stuff, they didnt bother selling much. They killed off a few and sat on it, and more than likely from what it is said, they have no plans to sell the likes of Pontiac or Oldsmobile nor intend to bringing them back anytime soon. Although they tried to sell Hummer but couldnt find "suitable" buyer even though there were offers from private companies and auto manufactures from India and China.

Good thing about ownership-It's mostly yours to do what you please with it within limits of law, whether ya decide to use it or not, which is within the limits of law in majority cases.

Bad thing about ownership-It's the owner to do what they please with within the limits of the law, which sometimes come at the chargin of people that were consumers of said property and wished to continue to use and enjoy said property.

It's even more extreme with software because with hrd products, you can keep what you bought and as long as it's functional ya can keep it even if it's obsolete ot no longer made. Software, it's basically a rental license risk that at any moment that the owner may decide, "ya know what? I think we dont want to offer this anymore." As they said with kickstarter, everything comes with a risk of loss especially when partaking in someone else property.

Frankly, personally, there is no reason for NCSOFT to sell the IP. The fan base of COX declared war with them, so why give the group that declared them enemy anything or even entertain their offers even if they could make one?

Me personally if I had an object someone wanted and at the time I wasnt using but wasnt plan on selling, and the person that made the offer gets pissy and said "F*** you", even if I change my mind later and wanted to sell, it wouldnt be to him or anyone associated with him. In fact, just out of spite, I might dismantle it in front of his eyes and put the pieces in the garage, grab a chair and my Rott. while cell phone in the other hand and dare him to step a toe over the property line and try to steal it. Now if instead he acted civil, if I decided to sale he probably would get first dibs on it if he was still interested and a good price.

But in business it's more professional and they probably just sit on it just because they can and figure eventually everyone will forget or move on. They found that isnt the case mostly after a year, but a year feeling to average human is merely a month in the business world.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »
You guys are missing the point Aggelakis is making - with our Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers (SCoRE), we just do it anyway (preferably releasing the source code so that it can't ever be eradicated), and then laugh if NCLimp futilely tries to play Whack-A-Mole stamping it out over the entire internet.

There is no *asking* - we just re-create it - *exactly the way it was before we lost it* (or perhaps with a few improvements here and there).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:42:43 PM by JanessaVR »

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2013, 08:46:22 PM »
I'm with JanessaVR.

NCSoft may as well have been burning books. SCoRE has a way to unburn them? I'm with SCoRE.

I respect people here like FatherXmas who defend NCSoft and its property. I'm not calling them wrong.

I'm just saying that if unburning those books is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »
I'm just saying that if unburning those books is wrong, then I don't want to be right.
Exactly.  Screw them - if they don't want it anymore, then we just take it back.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2013, 12:53:53 AM »
and then laugh if NCLimp futilely tries to play Whack-A-Mole stamping it out over the entire internet.

Strange mental image of the NCsoft CEO wielding a large cartoonish hammer while CoX signature characters pop in and out of holes in the ground/walls/ceiling.

... I really, really wish I could draw....

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2013, 01:04:31 AM »
Well tracking people and sources is not as hard as it used to be especially with multiple people gathering in one area.

Whoever do it, better be well prepared and don't get too cocky and over confident and leave no trail, although by talking and bragging about it here, and expressing ya know it's wrong but doing it anyways, is leaving a trail and near automatically kills the "I didn't know it was pirate" defense. 

Because if they find the person that release it or any one person tracked down that helped spread it, they might try to hold them responsible for all the damage and try to make an example out of them. They probably wont play whack a mole and probably wont notice as long as who ever does it keep their nose clean, stay low, and stop with the bragging of "We are going to "recreate the code" and spread it around nonsense. It's a like a criminal bragging to all his buddy and showing a tape of the robbery then looking bewildered when they get caught.

It's not even unheard of for music file sharing people to get personally sued. And more people that gather in the area the bigger target it is. And given that it takes years to build a thing like that , from what was said, I think it would highly annoying to have to start over every few months because someone kept blabbing about how they are sticking to the man and giving them a target.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:11:53 AM by JaguarX »

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2013, 01:26:18 AM »
Personally, I'd be more than happy to upload my copy to a server somewhere and label it "Warehouse Inventory System Test Code."   :)

Then I could just invite only the people I know.  Of course, I could see having it both ways - a private copy for me & friends quietly hosted somewhere, and a Community Server copy we can move as needed, so as to all get together again.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2013, 01:34:38 AM »
- with our Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers (SCoRE),

Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers?  I had to reread that.  Thought it said Secret Cabal of Rodent Engineers.

Guess I've been playing too many mice themed toons.  lol
No Surrender!

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2013, 01:38:49 AM »
Guess I've been playing too many mice themed toons.  lol
Disney-itis?   ;)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2013, 01:43:43 AM »
You guys are missing the point Aggelakis is making - with our Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers (SCoRE), we just do it anyway (preferably releasing the source code so that it can't ever be eradicated), and then laugh if NCLimp futilely tries to play Whack-A-Mole stamping it out over the entire internet.

There is no *asking* - we just re-create it - *exactly the way it was before we lost it* (or perhaps with a few improvements here and there).
FXmas is doing it on purpose, I'm pretty sure. There's no other way to read my post without deliberately misreading it.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2013, 01:47:10 AM »
Personally, I'd be more than happy to upload my copy to a server somewhere and label it "Warehouse Inventory System Test Code."   :)

Then I could just invite only the people I know.  Of course, I could see having it both ways - a private copy for me & friends quietly hosted somewhere, and a Community Server copy we can move as needed, so as to all get together again.

Something along those lines. Descreet.

Aint no one going to be looking for Warehouse Inventory System Test Code." that I know of. Unless some poor bloke actually hacks in looking to steal warehouse codes and end up highly disappointed.

"Capes? Create a character?Cat girl? Where the frack is the inventory! Man, how am I going to pay off the bookie now?"

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2013, 03:12:18 AM »
Something along those lines. Descreet.

Aint no one going to be looking for Warehouse Inventory System Test Code." that I know of. Unless some poor bloke actually hacks in looking to steal warehouse codes and end up highly disappointed.

"Capes? Create a character?Cat girl? Where the frack is the inventory! Man, how am I going to pay off the bookie now?"

Could always claim the warehouse system is for a costume company with a create a costume and see how it looks, works, moves, fights service.   ;D
No Surrender!

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2013, 05:16:27 AM »
Could always claim the warehouse system is for a costume company with a create a costume and see how it looks, works, moves, fights service.   ;D
If that were the case, I would call it Edna Mode's Warehouse Inventory System Test Code.

...and, <Edna Mode>No capes!</Edna Mode>  :P
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2013, 06:54:24 AM »
Exactly.  Screw them - if they don't want it anymore, then we just take it back.

...and then disseminate it all over the Internet. Because everyone knows that once you ring a bell.... its pretty hard to un-ring it.

I refuse to buy into scaremongering that NCStupid is going to sue me or anyone for logging onto a private server. Even the millions of dollars CoX generated was not enough for them to care..... but now they'll be stormtroopin across the ocean to kick all our asses and seize our paid for disks? I'd pay a dollar to see that one.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2013, 06:56:33 AM »
Heck I'd pay TWO dollars, and sixteen cents.

And some pocket lint.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
I'd pay a foot up their rear when they'd try to take my discs.
- Omega Mk. V

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
I'm with JanessaVR.

NCSoft may as well have been burning books. SCoRE has a way to unburn them? I'm with SCoRE.

I respect people here like FatherXmas who defend NCSoft and its property. I'm not calling them wrong.

I'm not defending them.  I don't give two shits about them.  It's just that they have a legal team that could bankrupt any of us who work on a server emulator without a 2nd thought.  I want a game where we can stand proudly in the sun and be written about on MMO sites, not in some dark alley where you need the secret phrase to get by the bouncer at the door.  Is that too much to ask?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2013, 08:40:16 PM »
I'm not defending them.  I don't give two shits about them.  It's just that they have a legal team that could bankrupt any of us who work on a server emulator without a 2nd thought.  I want a game where we can stand proudly in the sun and be written about on MMO sites, not in some dark alley where you need the secret phrase to get by the bouncer at the door.  Is that too much to ask?

Yeah what's the point of going to an emulator blind thinking "I'm untouchable" have people follow and then get shutdown because of some over sight? Wouldn't that be like losing COX over all over again and again and again? Not to mention I think it cost money to run a private server and it can be closed simply because the person run out of cash and or decide he don't want to do it anymore. Which some may charge for access, but then how secure is your credit card information in the hands of these people?

It's like doing business with a drug dealer. Some may be decently honest, but many time you may walk away with a dime bag of corn meal that cost $50 and nearly got you arrested.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 08:50:59 PM by JaguarX »

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2013, 10:31:06 PM »
I want a game where we can stand proudly in the sun and be written about on MMO sites, not in some dark alley where you need the secret phrase to get by the bouncer at the door.  Is that too much to ask?

YES!

Um...

Yeah... actually, no, it's not.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2013, 11:31:10 PM »
It sounds like what the Titan folks are saying is that there are efforts underway to regain access to CoX somehow, and it seems via a method that is not illegal.  But I also get the impression it's a plan whose details should not be made public...yet.

If this is the case, Tony et al: is there anything we can do to help right now without having to spill the beans?