Author Topic: Another one bites the dust  (Read 8123 times)

AlphaFerret

• Boss
Re: Another one bites the dust
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »
The sense I get in game, is that the population is upset rather than surprised.  This is my third stint with the game, and this is the most barren I have ever seen the T3 zones.  I just hope that whatever company picks up the IP, keeps the spirit of Warhammer alive.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
The FAQ on the Warhammer Wrath of Heroes Beta website (a MOBA developed by the same developer using the same engine) paints a different picture of the reason for the shutdown

Why is Wrath of Heroes being shut down?

Mythic as a studio is undergoing a paradigm shift as we shift our focus to mobile. As part of this pivot, we had to make a few changes and reallocate resources to support this new direction. As such, we took a long look at Wrath of Heroes and despite its strong IP, gameplay, and community support; we decided not to continue the service past its Beta and instead concentrate those resources on our new endeavors.

(Sounds an awful lot like the reason given for closing another game down doesn't it?)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 06:16:25 AM »
Because NCSoft has basically given the rest of the industry a playbook for shutting down MMOs without regards to the userbase (at least beyond "not shutting it down before paying subscriptions have run out so you don't have to issue refunds")
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 04:44:57 AM »
I had a lot of fun in WAR, it really was a fantastic game... well, before end-game anyway.  Then it was just zerging mindlessly.

I had a static group that played twice a week at specific times on specific days.  We used voice chat to communicate.  We used add-ons that maximized our efficiency so we could all switch to the same targets.

We started out as 6, but after a couple weeks our 6th had to drop out for RL obligations.  Then it was our 5-man consisting of 2 Warrior Priests (Melee healers) & 3 tanks (one of each race, with me being the Knight of the blazing Sun) to Guard them (so they took half-damage).  Our organized 5-man repeatedly took on groups that were much larger - it was not uncommon for us to face off and win against 4-6 times our number.  It was epic, it was fun, it was challenging, it was GREAT. 

It's a shame that didn't carry on post-level-30, but that's why we'd just roll new characters and start over again, until our group split up.

I have good memories of WAR that will last for a long time, it's sad to see it go, but I know it's time.