Author Topic: WoW Movie?!  (Read 2513 times)

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
WoW Movie?!
« on: September 24, 2013, 04:35:57 AM »
I saw a quick note on casting on MSN the other day.  Does this thing idea seem doomed from the get-go, or do you think enough WoW gamers will remove their butts from computer chairs long enough to go and see it?  I believe they refered to it as Warcraft.  That is all I had time to find at work.

If this is already a topic please move/delete/mock  ;)
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: WoW Movie?!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:44:47 AM »
That aint the first time a WoW movie idea been tossed around and wont be the last time probably.

It depends on Hollywood portray it. Lord of the Rings was once the epitome of nerd fodder. And it got made and make a killing. Now it's nearly a household name when not too long ago, most people wouldn't be caught dead with Lord of the Rings stuff.

But if they come off a rip off, they are doomed. But you are onto something as most movie based off of video games tend to bomb. You have people that never heard of or played the game and thus don't care and then you have the players that don't go see it because "Dungrafs hair is supposed to be blue and not green" like in the movie. But it probably have to do with depending on who hands it fall into. If you get one that just don't get it or know nothing about WoW besides what they managed to Google in five minutes, they probably will bolo it, badly, or if they get so worried about "controversy and adding more traditional movie elements anda forced love story with some guy ona quest on avenge his father nonsense like watered down Conan, then they will have issues. If they capture the true essence of WoW and learn the lore study the lore and bring that world to life, they will have another LoR on their hands.

Kind of like what happened with Doom. Doom could have been a killer movie. But controversy about the images (Although I don't see what is wrong with a marine blasting spawns of satan into oblivion with a BFG.) and they went a totally different angle. The game players of Doom were left scratching their heads, while there were people who never played Doom and had no idea what it was about or from the previews looked like another mindless alien invade in future type deal. Nothing interesting. Cant remember which came first but they could have used much of the clips from Doom 3 if they had to choose and make a live version. Now I don't think we'll see another Doom movie in the works for a long time. 

Mortal Kombat-Each character had storyline and background but the game premise is based on tournament. I think that one just fell into the wrong hands, especially the second one. WTF was that about? Did any of them actually look into Mortal Kombat lore? They failed to make the world in part 2 come alive. Part one was ok. Hell the clips from the game new Mortal Kombat when put together (2.45 hours) would have made a better movie. Actually after watching it on youtube, it made a fine movie as is. From the opening with Rayden getting the dog piss beat out of him to Lui Kang getting fried.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:56:16 AM by JaguarX »

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 08:50:25 AM »
The problem with most video game movies is someone tries to get all the characters, situations, etc into 90 minutes.  What a WoW movie needs to do is pick one event, one storyline.  Something that was novelized (there must be WoW novels) and make that into a movie.  They don't need to hit every city in the game or every landmark.  The trick will be to narrow the focus and if the movie is successful then look at taking it "on the road" to other parts of that world.

But alas in all likelihood someone will insist that the movie include this place and that place and certain NPCs and even make a joke about giant question marks and by the end of the movie all the newbs are now purpled out with mounts flying off into the sunset.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 01:23:13 PM »
There are two routes they could go for a movie, live action, or CG. If they go the former, it'll likely turn into another Hollywood-ized travesty, if the latter, Blizzard could do the majority of it in-house meaning there's much less chance some random schmo can mess things up.

A few of my friends and I have been saying it for years, but Blizzards cinematics have been near-movie quality for a long while now (just look at WoW's trailers, or Diablo 3's cutscenes), and it wouldn't be a stretch to see them make a full length feature film. Even better, they wouldn't be the first game developer to venture into movie making, so hopefully they can learn from other developers' mistakes(I'm looking at you, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.........)...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
The problem with most video game movies is someone tries to get all the characters, situations, etc into 90 minutes.  What a WoW movie needs to do is pick one event, one storyline.  Something that was novelized (there must be WoW novels) and make that into a movie.  They don't need to hit every city in the game or every landmark.  The trick will be to narrow the focus and if the movie is successful then look at taking it "on the road" to other parts of that world.

But alas in all likelihood someone will insist that the movie include this place and that place and certain NPCs and even make a joke about giant question marks and by the end of the movie all the newbs are now purpled out with mounts flying off into the sunset.
indeed.

Also to Shenku too.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 09:27:39 PM »
The problem with most video game movies is someone tries to get all the characters, situations, etc into 90 minutes.  What a WoW movie needs to do is pick one event, one storyline.  Something that was novelized (there must be WoW novels) and make that into a movie.

Even movies based off of books get screwed over big time on occasion. I can name two of them right now: Battlefield Earth and Starship Troopers. Neither movie really resembled the book they were based on. In BE's case, they tried to do too much in too small a time frame. And still managed to cut off the last half of the book. That movie would have been much better if they had tried to go for set of 4 or 5 movies instead of just one, and they needed to have the foreclosure of earth in there as well. Otherwise, it's just another human uprising to throw off the "alien" overlords story. You know, Planet of the Apes.

In Starship Trooper's case, the only resemblance to the book was the title. The story they told in the movie was totally different than the story told in the book. With some characters even the "wrong" gender, and other characters dead when they weren't written that way in the book.

For Pete's sake, get some decent writers that have actually read the freaking books!!!

As an example of how to do it right. Joss Whedon with the Avengers.  Enough said.

TL;DR version:

Good movies need good writers and directors, what it is based from doesn't really matter all that much.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:57:04 PM »
You know, some of the trailers they put out /look/ like movies. I think they'd make for some great "animated" movies. Not for kids though. XD While I have a mediocre opinion on the game itself (I mean, I like it... it's just... not as awesome as City of was), I have to admit the lore is pretty fantastic and fun. If done right, I think it could be pretty cool.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 04:51:36 AM »
Even movies based off of books get screwed over big time on occasion. I can name two of them right now: Battlefield Earth and Starship Troopers. Neither movie really resembled the book they were based on. In BE's case, they tried to do too much in too small a time frame. And still managed to cut off the last half of the book. That movie would have been much better if they had tried to go for set of 4 or 5 movies instead of just one, and they needed to have the foreclosure of earth in there as well. Otherwise, it's just another human uprising to throw off the "alien" overlords story. You know, Planet of the Apes.

In Starship Trooper's case, the only resemblance to the book was the title. The story they told in the movie was totally different than the story told in the book. With some characters even the "wrong" gender, and other characters dead when they weren't written that way in the book.

For Pete's sake, get some decent writers that have actually read the freaking books!!!

As an example of how to do it right. Joss Whedon with the Avengers.  Enough said.

TL;DR version:

Good movies need good writers and directors, what it is based from doesn't really matter all that much.

Book novelizations of course have their good and bad adaptations but I was more referring to the travesty of Wing Commander or Street Fighter since those can't be laid at the feet of Uwe Boll.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 05:06:05 AM »
Book novelizations of course have their good and bad adaptations but I was more referring to the travesty of Wing Commander or Street Fighter since those can't be laid at the feet of Uwe Boll.

*coughMarioBros.Moviecoughcough*

:roll: