Author Topic: Agents of Shield  (Read 36868 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Agents of Shield
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 11:16:08 PM »
Apparently she does have a digital footprint as they were able to track her through her youtube video to her van in an alley...

As in who she is.  Of course now that she's been seen with SHIELD that can be a problem.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 10:25:58 AM »
People, if you're seriously combing this meticulously for plot holes and other inconsistencies, stop watching the show now. Save your sanity. Stop watching Marvel Studios movies. Don't read any Marvel comics.

Marvel stories are thrilling stories, filled with heroics, peppered with comedy and drama (dramady!), chock-full of bad puns and swiss-cheese plots. The thing about Marvel is (on-screen and in comics), they give you enough great dialogue and pacing to make up for the terrible stories. And I say this as one of Marvel's biggest fans. I still read their comics and I love them. I love those terrible stories and the charismatic heroes and villains who star in them. It's good, cheap entertainment.

Like I always say, when I want fine literature, well I have shelves for that too.

Relax, stop fooling yourselves, and you'll be just fine. There's an old saying, "You can't scrub spots off a leopard." You can say "I don't have to accept these inconsistencies, I have a right to complain," until you're blue in the face, but you won't ever change good ol' Marvel. And thank goodness for that.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 07:29:53 AM »
People, if you're seriously combing this meticulously for plot holes and other inconsistencies, stop watching the show now. Save your sanity. Stop watching Marvel Studios movies. Don't read any Marvel comics.

Marvel stories are thrilling stories, filled with heroics, peppered with comedy and drama (dramady!), chock-full of bad puns and swiss-cheese plots. The thing about Marvel is (on-screen and in comics), they give you enough great dialogue and pacing to make up for the terrible stories. And I say this as one of Marvel's biggest fans. I still read their comics and I love them. I love those terrible stories and the charismatic heroes and villains who star in them. It's good, cheap entertainment.

Like I always say, when I want fine literature, well I have shelves for that too.

Relax, stop fooling yourselves, and you'll be just fine. There's an old saying, "You can't scrub spots off a leopard." You can say "I don't have to accept these inconsistencies, I have a right to complain," until you're blue in the face, but you won't ever change good ol' Marvel. And thank goodness for that.

Eh, some people like to complain, but that doesn't mean they don't like it.

It's like how a lot of people are saying George Lucas destroyed Star Wars with Episodes 1-3, but they still find themselves watching any/all of the movies when they do their regular marathons on Spike TV or whatever, so obviously they still like it.

All it means is that they're interested enough in the show to pick it apart and digest every bit of it, which is a good thing because it means they're that much more into the show, i.e. "fans". :P

And yes, Lola made me squee at the end a little bit. ;D

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 08:10:22 AM »

lol. IMDB needs this posting now.

But if people followed that, then there wouldn't be a such thing as movie critics. Hundreds of jobs would be lost! :p

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 08:47:33 AM »
True that.

And Lola got some squee out of me too. Ahem. Manly squee....

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 09:00:34 AM »
I didn't really SQUEE, but when Phil flipped the switch I leapt out of my chair, thrust my arms into the air and shouted "YES, about damn time!".  Been waiting for that since Capt America.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 08:44:22 AM »
Has anybody else read there is supposed to be a little easter egg after the credits of this weeks episode?

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 02:12:26 PM »
That's not how it works. 

Comics are run by the "Rule of Cool".  If it's cool, it gets overlooked and if it's not, it gets complained about.

Stark's Iron Legion flying California -> Florida in 5 mins (2700 miles) gets overlooked for the awesome hero shot.  Lame-o (supposed) hacker who's terrible at her (supposed) specialty?  Megabytes of internet condemnation. ;)

Omega Force 1990

• Minion
  • Police Officer, National Guardsman
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 06:03:52 PM »
But see the thing is, at that time Skye was not lying to Mike.
Yeah, you're right.  We know that she wasn't telling the truth, but she didn't know that.  I'm still looking forward to her death.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 02:30:29 AM »
Has anybody else read there is supposed to be a little easter egg after the credits of this weeks episode?

Does that cruel Whedon realize that's going to result in me having to sit through the credits after EVERY EPISODE? :gonk:

That's not how it works. 

Comics are run by the "Rule of Cool".  If it's cool, it gets overlooked and if it's not, it gets complained about.

See Shenku's post above for the second half of the Rule of Cool. ;D

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 03:51:28 AM »
I think like the first episode with Lola, every episode will end in some Marvelverse call out that "true believers" will get jazzed about.

For instance, end of The Avengers, only those verse in Marvel myth recognized Thanos or smile at the quip about "courting Death".

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 02:05:27 PM »
See Shenku's post above for the second half of the Rule of Cool. ;D
There are no limits on customer satisfaction going in the direction of awesome, but there are limits on the other end.  If something gets too annoying, people stop enjoying complaining about it and just stop buying/watching.  I'm going to keep watching to see how it develops.  There are always adjustments to a show after the pilot.

That said, if she continues to be as badly written as the pilot, I'm sure I can find something less aggravating to do with my time. ;)

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 12:45:57 AM »
LMPAO

*CRACK!*

"What the hell was that?!"

"...her wrist."

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 04:15:43 AM »
one thing I got a kick out of, this week, the logo for SHIELD was subtly changed in all the adverts. if you noticed that, you knew who the special cameo was.

I think the writing is a bit stilted. It's clearly being written from an ensemble perspective, but the creative team also feel huge pressure to make the show perform instantly from ABC because of the cost of production, so they aren't taking the time they really need to let the ensemble characters develop. Tonight's epi for instance there great hints about character backstory in a couple of spots, but they were hard to pick out for all the wham bam action, and would probably be lost on the casual viewer who is quickly going to get bored with the seemingly wooden characters who aren't being allowed natural progression.

does that make sense to anyone else?
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 06:55:19 AM »
one thing I got a kick out of, this week, the logo for SHIELD was subtly changed in all the adverts. if you noticed that, you knew who the special cameo was.

I think the writing is a bit stilted. It's clearly being written from an ensemble perspective, but the creative team also feel huge pressure to make the show perform instantly from ABC because of the cost of production, so they aren't taking the time they really need to let the ensemble characters develop. Tonight's epi for instance there great hints about character backstory in a couple of spots, but they were hard to pick out for all the wham bam action, and would probably be lost on the casual viewer who is quickly going to get bored with the seemingly wooden characters who aren't being allowed natural progression.

Well crisis = character development.  Plus they had to learn to work together to win the day.  Big lesson everyone.  Mini Avenger's moment.

So is it a question of keeping your enemies closer or to create a triple agent?  Plus we get a little more background of the Malinda May character.

"Cancel the fish tank".

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 01:12:20 PM »

That type of character development, where they keep dropping hints over several episodes as to the character development is something that goes along with serial TV, not to mention Josh's writing style.  They stated why ward acts like he does towards the team.  I like how Fitz-Simmons are always referee to together, and while not a "couple" its obvious they're almost like siblings.   And some nice hints about Mae's past.  Its interesting that the lab guys didn't know who she was, but Ward knew right away.

And anyone else notice how Coulson is rather good at manipulating his team? :-)

And did anyone else notice that 616 designation on the radio?  I like how they put things in, not just for fans if the movies, but for the comic fans as well
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »
And did anyone else notice that 616 designation on the radio?
:o OK, that one was obscure enough that I just had to look it up.  I not only had no idea there was a reference being made to anything there, I had no idea what significance that number had until just now.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 10:47:33 PM »
:o OK, that one was obscure enough that I just had to look it up.  I not only had no idea there was a reference being made to anything there, I had no idea what significance that number had until just now.

That is something I hope they keep doing. There's certain things they reference from the movies that they just assume you've seen the movies.  Coulson getting stabbed, things powered by Teserract energy.  But they also throw in odd comic references that don't impact plot or characters.  They're just fun things to pick out for fans of the comic.

The 616 reference (what is considered the main comic marvel universe for those that didn't know) or in the first episode mentioning Project Pegasus, and the line "are coming o our journey into mystery".  The SHIELD project that Quasar came out of and the title of the comic that debuted Thor respectively.  Even Lola being a SHIELD flying car. When you see a red convertible associated with SHIELD, its going to fly at some point.

I hope they keep that up and in a way that's more "that's neat" rather than "should I know what they're talking about?"

Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 02:10:45 AM »
First of all the show is about Super people and how SHEILD tries to contain the powers and damage the supers do.

I look right at the dude in the Incredibles who has to go fix the mess. That is what SHEILD does find supers who are making problems and make it stop - with whatever it takes. They don't have rules except - make it right. The crisis is the point of the show or you wouldn't be needing the SHEILD team.

The magic part of Coulson had me immediately thinking Dr. Strange.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 08:19:23 AM »

It's a neat easter egg, but maybe misleading--the Marvel cinematic universe is not the mainline 616 universe. The cinematic universe has more bits in common with Marvel's Ultimate universe.

Also I was surprised recently to learn that "former Marvel Editor in Chief Joe Quesada and Executive Editor Tom Brevoort have each stated their dislike for the term Earth 616." [LINK] It comes down to, basically, their (and reportedly some of their colleagues) dislike for DC Comics' Earth Prime and oodles of parallel Earths and a desire to distance themselves from that kind of storytelling.

To be clear though, Marvel DOES have its own laundry list of parallel realities and the writers DO use designations when it's necessary for characters and stories, much like Portal Corps does in City of Heroes. Fans generally seem to either like it or just not mind. It's just become one of those staples of comic books, although I am aware that Marvel intermingles its parallel realities far less often than DC and I'm not complaining about that either. 616 stands strong on its own.

But in CoH's case I love the whole Portal Corps shtick, it's like combining that old show Sliders with super hero comics.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:52:08 AM by Captain Electric »