Author Topic: well things got complex.  (Read 54808 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: well things got complex.
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2013, 05:31:25 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the servers were still here being reused for some other purpose for Molten Games or Wildstar so yeah, that plan wouldn't have worked very well, but I'm really just going to say this:

Wasn't Cryptic and Jack still in charge before the case finished? Wouldn't that mean Jack was privy to the details of the settlement? Both NCSoft and Cryptic were on one side during the case and as I recall that means they were treated like ONE person for settlements and other issues. So why would Jack publicly say at one of the last gaming conventions that we should tell NCSoft to "give him a call" and see about getting the game "back home" if he knew he couldn't do anything with it or that they legally couldn't sell it? He would know, and if this speculation was true what he's reported to have said at the con would garner him very negative publicity to his name if he made a claim he knowingly couldn't deliver, giving up our hopes. I'm not saying he still couldn't do that, just that it doesn't make much sense to me unless there is no such settlement clause.

Then again, he probably didn't need NCSOFT to call him as he could have called them.

Speaking of which did he ever call them or did someone actually tell NCSOFT to call Jack? Besides that one spur of the moment comment, I haven't heard anything else from him about it.  It might have been just an empty comment that fitted at the time.

And side note: COX is not that well known of a game where it boils down to positive or negative publicity. Not everyone is so vain to be thinking all day and night "Oh if I don't support them I will get negative publicity." Most people probably didn't even take the comment that serious.

He made a comment, nothing came of it since then, and seem like his "public image" didn't change much at all either way. 

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2013, 03:15:16 AM »
... if I knew those terms I could say more, but until I actually go to court with marvel for this I can only guess every possible option. and before I go to court I need to put together a case and get some time when my lawyer can appear in court over it.

right now that seems like it might not happen for a year or possibly longer because I have things i've got to deal with and honestly have no time to instigate this situation further.

I've come along way from my initial ploy of trying to come up with the perfect claims against NCSoft and sue them for the IP.. that was the original plan a long while ago. yeah it would work...

... thats whats been going on with me of late., to be honest this is one of the least crazy plans ...

so yeah a lawsuit of epically planned proportions is the best avenue.

Cueing Morgan Freeman.

"Now let me get this straight.  You think that your game was closed because Marvel

... a division of the Walt Disney Corporation ... the most powerful and effective litigious entity ever known to humankind ... the corporation that is single-handedly responsible for extending copyright terms world-wide through it's invincible political and economic power ...

established terms in a court settlement with NCSoft that convinced them to close the game ...

and your LEAST crazy plan is to SUE DISNEY

... Goood luck."
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Stone Daemon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »
Cueing Morgan Freeman.

"Now let me get this straight.  You think that your game was closed because Marvel

... a division of the Walt Disney Corporation ... the most powerful and effective litigious entity ever known to humankind ... the corporation that is single-handedly responsible for extending copyright terms world-wide through it's invincible political and economic power ...

established terms in a court settlement with NCSoft that convinced them to close the game ...

... Goood luck."

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »
Cueing Morgan Freeman.

... Goood luck."

contrary to what you might believe not everything done in court is a law suit, sueing marvel/disney would be to make a claim against them, in this case I'd like to merely defend CoH in court for the purpose of renegotiating the settlement to coincide with the fact that CoX never violated any rights of marvel/disney. the intended outcome is to make a blank settlement, thus voiding the settlement in the first place.

for all I know if someone were to do this then NCSoft could merely start up the servers as if nothing had happened. then if they don't act; I have a lawsuit prepared for them already.

lawsuits cost money too, which I currently don't have much of. heh, had a lawyer who would do it probono but time and dimension are proving to be my enemy in this situation. I'll be in china by the 17th of october so.. not much time to go to court in the USA.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2013, 10:26:13 PM »
contrary to what you might believe not everything done in court is a law suit, sueing marvel/disney would be to make a claim against them, in this case I'd like to merely defend CoH in court for the purpose of renegotiating the settlement to coincide with the fact that CoX never violated any rights of marvel/disney. the intended outcome is to make a blank settlement, thus voiding the settlement in the first place.

for all I know if someone were to do this then NCSoft could merely start up the servers as if nothing had happened. then if they don't act; I have a lawsuit prepared for them already.

lawsuits cost money too, which I currently don't have much of. heh, had a lawyer who would do it probono but time and dimension are proving to be my enemy in this situation. I'll be in china by the 17th of october so.. not much time to go to court in the USA.

Are you even eligible to engage in such actions? You are not the owner of the IP. You have no legal standing to get involved. If Marvel and NCSoft settled... then the issue is settled as far as all relevant parties are concerned. You may not like the end results but I doubt any judge is going to grant you any level of standing as a relevant party in the case. Especially a case that has been over and done with for years.

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2013, 11:09:39 PM »
Yeah, even if the game was shut down because of a secret agreement between NCSoft and Marvel (which I personally doubt) I'm not sure what you think you can go to court over. If something was agreed behind closed doors years ago then how would Marvel be compelled to revisit such a thing? And even if they wanted to any deal would be between NCSoft and Marvel, there doesn't seem to be any room for third parties to get involved.

Mouse-Man

• Minion
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2013, 11:17:06 PM »
This thread/

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2013, 05:20:58 AM »
Are you even eligible to engage in such actions? You are not the owner of the IP. You have no legal standing to get involved. If Marvel and NCSoft settled... then the issue is settled as far as all relevant parties are concerned. You may not like the end results but I doubt any judge is going to grant you any level of standing as a relevant party in the case. Especially a case that has been over and done with for years.

we live in a world where anyone can go to court with anyone over anything. you can even take the president of the US of A to court for having inappropriate relations with your pet duck through an account called 'sexyjazzguylovesquakers' on 'sexyyoungduckcams.com'

even if the case is completely hear-say and rediculous, well.. I havn't heard of many cases being thrown out recently, only a few. fact is most cases stand even if you are suing someone for someone else without thier prior consent.

yeah, I have heard of things like "young geek sues nintendo saying they stole mario from him and he was the orginal creator" sch things companies wont even show up, instead a letter will be mailed to the court from the company's lawyer containing evidence of legal ownership blahblah.. - but then again I have heard of that happening and the person sueing presenting 'greater evidence' and winning leaving the company dumbstruck and filing for an appeal.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2013, 05:23:00 AM »
we live in a world where anyone can go to court with anyone over anything. you can even take the president of the US of A to court for having inappropriate relations with your pet duck through an account called 'sexyjazzguylovesquakers' on 'sexyyoungduckcams.com'

even if the case is completely hear-say and rediculous, well.. I havn't heard of many cases being thrown out recently, only a few. fact is most cases stand even if you are suing someone for someone else without thier prior consent.

yeah, I have heard of things like "young geek sues nintendo saying they stole mario from him and he was the orginal creator" sch things companies wont even show up, instead a letter will be mailed to the court from the company's lawyer containing evidence of legal ownership blahblah.. - but then again I have heard of that happening and the person sueing presenting 'greater evidence' and winning leaving the company dumbstruck and filing for an appeal.

yeah like that guy who sued McDonalds for 10 million because he gained weight from eating their super sized food very often.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »
Or the lawsuit against McDonalds because coffee is hot.

Also, whaddaya got against Quakers. I don't know any personally, but I hear they're decent people. :D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2013, 05:44:50 PM »
Or the lawsuit against McDonalds because coffee is hot.

Also, whaddaya got against Quakers. I don't know any personally, but I hear they're decent people. :D

The lawsuit against McDonalds for hot coffee was a case of receiving 3rd degree burns over most of the body and demonstrating that it was because McDonalds constructed their drive-thru procedures (which they spent years and millions designing and millions in advertising to convince people to use) in a reckless and irresponsible manner (why the HELL don't they use the coffee cup holders that they HAVE).  Punitive damages were necessarily set at the amount that would cause McDonalds to change the behavior of all its restaurants (which they didn't do -- opting instead for "warning coffee is hot" stickers).
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »
who knew Fresh coffee was hot ? :P

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2013, 07:03:04 PM »
who knew Fresh coffee was hot ? :P
Coffee is hot, yes. However for proper flavor it cannot be above 170 degrees. For safety it cannot be above 180 degrees.

They served it to her at over 210 degrees.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2013, 07:08:18 PM »
well there is a difference between hot and boiling. Yeah, seriously though she had a case more than fat dude in my opinion.

Eventually someone is going to spill proper hot coffee on themselves and sue and they are just going to serve if frozen and the customer have to warm it up themselves at work or at home.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2013, 11:22:07 PM »
The lawsuit against McDonalds for hot coffee was a case of receiving 3rd degree burns over most of the body and demonstrating that it was because McDonalds constructed their drive-thru procedures (which they spent years and millions designing and millions in advertising to convince people to use) in a reckless and irresponsible manner (why the HELL don't they use the coffee cup holders that they HAVE).

To be fair, the plaintiff in the action was not exactly firing on all brain cells when they burned themselves. If you take a styrofoam cup in your hand and squeeze it, it distorts with very little effort. If you put a lid on the cup, the flange on the lid prevents the cup from distorting, and you have to make an effort to distort the cup. The plaintiff had stuck the cup between their legs, holding it with the pressure of their legs, and proceeded to remove the lid -- at which point the pressure of their legs against the cup crushed it between them, fountaining the coffee across their legs. The judgement in the suit was that McDonald's was negligent in maintaining their coffee at such a high temperature that it would cause burns if spilled; the restaurant did not have a sufficient number of disclaimers telling the user not to be an utter f**kwit (boxes of Pop-Tarts used to carry the warning "Caution: Filling will be hot when heated"), so they were liable through not having given sufficient cautions.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
I absolutely LOVE reading the warning on products. One of my favorites is on hair dryer packages. "Do not use while asleep." Lo and behold, on some reality show, they spotlight some gal who is addicted to sleeping with her hair dryer...

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2013, 11:50:04 PM »
we live in a world where anyone can go to court with anyone over anything.

You've had six pages.  Cut to the quick: what exactly do you want?

A. All of us to say that we're all wrong and that you're right? (Even if we did, nothing changes.)
B. To sue someone?  (Go for it, but it's your own effort.  No one is helping you with this unless they explicitly tell you they are, and I doubt Titan Network wants to support a conversation like this.  Also, in no lesser form, count me out.)
C. To get us to sue someone? (I've got better things to do, Spartacus.)
D. Some weird amalgamation of all three of the above (least likely to happen... odds look worse than NCSoft responding to any of us.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:55:29 PM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2013, 02:15:25 AM »
I absolutely LOVE reading the warning on products. One of my favorites is on hair dryer packages. "Do not use while asleep." Lo and behold, on some reality show, they spotlight some gal who is addicted to sleeping with her hair dryer...

those reality shows are spotty.

But yeah some lady in the past prior did sue a hair dryer company because she decided to take a nap while blow drying her hair. She ended up burning her scalp of course and won. Yeah many of those layers are goofy sounding and make me thing sometimes, "Who would do such a thing anyways?" but most of them exist because someone did such a thing and won lot of money. 

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2013, 02:34:44 AM »

A. All of us to say that we're all wrong and that you're right? (Even if we did, nothing changes.)
B. To sue someone?  (Go for it, but it's your own effort.  No one is helping you with this unless they explicitly tell you they are, and I doubt Titan Network wants to support a conversation like this.  Also, in no lesser form, count me out.)
D. Some weird amalgamation of all three of the above (least likely to happen... odds look worse than NCSoft responding to any of us.)

Josh, I am going to go eat a cookie. There's one in my kitchen.

By the time I come back, you better have answered this man's questions!!!! >:(

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2013, 02:45:51 AM »

Well as they said and made clear since Aug 31 as replied to not trying due to slim chances

"even with the very slim chance of it happening. Only way failure is guaranteed is if no one tries anyways. And if one don't try then they are being defeatist and giving up hope."

With all the text beating of people that even said that this entire effort was a small chance, over all, now this site nor many of these people have a leg to stand on when it comes to small to slim chance ideas and someone going for them. Remember the harsh rude, insulting and sometimes straight overboard things that have been said to people that said the entire effort was slim and not worth the try. Now are the same people going to tell that to someone else? Does that now make them all those things that they called people then, defeatist, giving up hope. rolling over easily, etc?