Author Topic: Do we have a plan for if....  (Read 14215 times)

Waffles

• Elite Boss
Do we have a plan for if....
« on: October 05, 2013, 12:57:13 AM »
We fire up the emulator and NCsoftdicks decide to close it down? Besides the shotgun approach.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Do we have a plan for if....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 01:09:40 AM »
Hope they have a plan because it would suck to say "hey look I get to play again." a few months later "Hey what happened? Don't tell me I lost my characters...again."
Then have to wait another 3-4 years for someone else to build another server.

Quinch

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 02:07:25 AM »
From what I can tell, that's the main reason the emulator efforts are being held under wraps - given NCsoft's reaction to Tabula Rasa servers, it's a fair guess they'll do the same to CoH. Unless they decide that a CoH emulator would work to the detriment of official competition in the form of TPP.

Either way, odds are they'll be playing it safe until it's too late to suppress the developed code.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 02:39:51 AM »
From what I can tell, that's the main reason the emulator efforts are being held under wraps - given NCsoft's reaction to Tabula Rasa servers, it's a fair guess they'll do the same to CoH. Unless they decide that a CoH emulator would work to the detriment of official competition in the form of TPP.

Either way, odds are they'll be playing it safe until it's too late to suppress the developed code.
Yup.

Hopefully they have a very intensive knowledge  of how to cover their tracks for the people that let it go and those that spread it.

In this day and age everything can be tracked and traced to point of origin, even proxies are not safe bet as they even store the actual IP address as it enter their server. More of a just in case matter because they may not even take it any further or bother.
And there isn't many countries that isn't in IP treaty with the US in some way or fashion.

And many of those that are not, a private server and a lawsuit is the least of the worries if they manage there.

People may speed and get away with it even though it's illegal but it probably wouldn't be wise to go to the court house every day and say you been booking through a school zone doing 100mph. Even though they probably wont or cant arrest you then, it does put a spotlight on ya. and can come back to bite when ya if ya get caught.

Which reminds me of something happened around here about 4 years ago. There was this flea market and of course you have your standard bootleg dvd sales guys there. Many been selling bootlegs since the days of VHS. One day, this guy walked to the booth and asked "Are you selling these." and not suspecting anything the bootleg dvd guy went through his usual speech of good quality, cheap, wont be disappointed. The guy replied "oh really? You're under arrest. You havea right to remain silent..." and before anyone knew the guy was being hauled away in handcuffs. Apparently the guy that inquired was an undercover. bootleg guy spent 1.5 years in jail. On top of that, the owner of the flea market got sued. Ended up losing $250,000 not including lawyer fees. After a hit like that he ended up closing the market. Eventually the land got razed and they built a walmart in it's place. Legend has it Walmart was behind the entire thing as they been wanting to buy that property for ages and the flea market guy refused to sell. The point is the bootlegger been getting away with it for years, many bootleggers came and gone without once getting caught but that day, that time, that one time, he got caught. To this day I still see him roaming the street because he cant even get a job with record now in the field he know. Sales. He cant go to school because he has no more money to learn a new field.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:56:02 AM by JaguarX »

Quinch

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 04:02:04 AM »
Maybe - but I honestly doubt they can do more than issue a C&D to the development crew. So far the only news I can pull up about lawsuits being thrown at private server owners are large, for-profit ones.

So on the whole, it sounds like an empty threat.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 05:04:52 AM »
Maybe - but I honestly doubt they can do more than issue a C&D to the development crew. So far the only news I can pull up about lawsuits being thrown at private server owners are large, for-profit ones.

So on the whole, it sounds like an empty threat.
of course.
because only the big ones make the news. No one cares if some kid in a small apartment get sued, news wise. But get a large private server ring, news will be heard about it.

Kind of like only about a very small percentage of murders, kidnappings and drug cases make the news, but the jails are filled with people who name never even hit the local paper back page. Hell, some murders only make the news because after a while someone makes a fuss about it and it gains attention of other people or they know someone with the right connections.

Car wrecks happen just about every second, someone had a major wreck. Very few hit the news. But plane go down, it's breaking news. Thus more people are afraid to fly than drive even though the greater chance of serious injury stat wise is driving a car. 

Usually companies have legal departments that they pay salary to. They usually are not sitting around twiddling thumbs waiting to sue some other multi billion dollar company every few years. On a day to day bases, they are usually busy with small stuff lawsuits and C&Ds that majority of the public never hears about because it don't hit the major news.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »
 I think its going to be a long time before we see an emulator.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 06:04:02 PM »

... bootleg guy spent 1.5 years in jail.

... Legend has it Walmart was behind the entire thing as they been wanting to buy that property for ages and the flea market guy refused to sell.

... To this day I still see him roaming the street because he cant even get a job with record now in the field he know. Sales.

#1 -- There is, in this world, a flea market guy who wouldn't sell his lot to Walmart? 

#2 -- You know a guy who sold bootlegs in a flea market who DIDN'T ALREADY have a prison record?

#3 -- After getting out of prison, bootlegger guy can't find a comparable job in flea market bootleg sales??

"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
#1 -- There is, in this world, a flea market guy who wouldn't sell his lot to Walmart? 

#2 -- You know a guy who sold bootlegs in a flea market who DIDN'T ALREADY have a prison record?

#3 -- After getting out of prison, bootlegger guy can't find a comparable job in flea market bootleg sales??

Of course he could but no he didn't have a record, not all of them do believe it or not. And I think it was more being afraid of getting caught than anything.

and yea a flea market guy that didn't want to sell his land. Not every one like or care for walmart. Even out side this city, many places petition to prevent from Walmart from building a store in their town, some win some don't.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »
Yup.

Hopefully they have a very intensive knowledge  of how to cover their tracks for the people that let it go and those that spread it.

In this day and age everything can be tracked and traced to point of origin, even proxies are not safe bet as they even store the actual IP address as it enter their server. More of a just in case matter because they may not even take it any further or bother.
And there isn't many countries that isn't in IP treaty with the US in some way or fashion.

And many of those that are not, a private server and a lawsuit is the least of the worries if they manage there.

People may speed and get away with it even though it's illegal but it probably wouldn't be wise to go to the court house every day and say you been booking through a school zone doing 100mph. Even though they probably wont or cant arrest you then, it does put a spotlight on ya. and can come back to bite when ya if ya get caught.

Which reminds me of something happened around here about 4 years ago. There was this flea market and of course you have your standard bootleg dvd sales guys there. Many been selling bootlegs since the days of VHS. One day, this guy walked to the booth and asked "Are you selling these." and not suspecting anything the bootleg dvd guy went through his usual speech of good quality, cheap, wont be disappointed. The guy replied "oh really? You're under arrest. You havea right to remain silent..." and before anyone knew the guy was being hauled away in handcuffs. Apparently the guy that inquired was an undercover. bootleg guy spent 1.5 years in jail. On top of that, the owner of the flea market got sued. Ended up losing $250,000 not including lawyer fees. After a hit like that he ended up closing the market. Eventually the land got razed and they built a walmart in it's place. Legend has it Walmart was behind the entire thing as they been wanting to buy that property for ages and the flea market guy refused to sell. The point is the bootlegger been getting away with it for years, many bootleggers came and gone without once getting caught but that day, that time, that one time, he got caught. To this day I still see him roaming the street because he cant even get a job with record now in the field he know. Sales. He cant go to school because he has no more money to learn a new field.

Forgive me, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OSX79BG19c

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 02:11:15 AM »
Forgive me, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OSX79BG19c
Reality.

You know, something that should be considered when trying to pull off a possible crime?

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 10:49:20 PM »
Once we get one going losing characters won't be an issue. You can have the server operator provide a backup area to copy the data for you to import and just give that to whomever the new host would be. Fuck ncsoft

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 12:25:10 AM »
Once we get one going losing characters won't be an issue.

Especially if people remember to save them with Sentinel :)
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 12:41:44 AM »
Once we get one going losing characters won't be an issue. You can have the server operator provide a backup area to copy the data for you to import and just give that to whomever the new host would be. pancake ncsoft
cool beans.

As long as the server operators talk to each other and are on the same page, at least mostly.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »
I think that any C&D is more likely to come from Cryptic, as they'd probably be more concerned about their engine being passed around the net than NCsoft would be about an unused IP being shared out.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 09:24:27 PM »
We fire up the emulator and NCsoftdicks decide to close it down? Besides the shotgun approach.

Whoa, now, no one is talking about shotguns here.  I cannot condone that kind of violence.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 10:53:34 PM »
I assumed the shotguns were figurative, just like actual "shotgun weddings" rarely include actual shotguns, anymore. I take issue with this particular mutation of NC$oft's name. It's still a family-friendly forum, here, but I'm not a moderator.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 11:02:09 PM »
I think that any C&D is more likely to come from Cryptic, as they'd probably be more concerned about their engine being passed around the net than NCsoft would be about an unused IP being shared out.

I wonder how valuable that engine is to Cryptic?

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »
I wonder how valuable that engine is to Cryptic?

I think that depends on how much of it was used in CO, STO and Neverwinter.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »
Incorrect.  It's not their engine anymore - NCSoft purchased everything lock, stock, and barrel - the engine and the IP.  Cryptic would have nothing to say about it.