Author Topic: A couple questions about access...  (Read 9826 times)

jealousghost

• Underling
A couple questions about access...
« on: October 13, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »
I have a couple pretty basic questions, and I'm sort of dreading the answers  :gonk: 

My CoH client was originally installed and kept up to date on an old computer. I've since upgraded and lost all the data from that one...and so I've lost all the Issue updates from Issue 18 (Going Rogue Expansion) on. Is there anywhere online I can download at least up to Issue 23 so I can access Icon?

Also, I just found this forum and program. Can we access our old CoH characters (from when the game was active)? I'm thinking NO since NCSoft tells me the name I had was associated with a game that no longer exists and isn't available, and so I'm thinking that character data was probably all available on servers. But anyway, I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

Sorry if those are dumb questions, I just found this stuff and I'm tentatively hopeful here. Thank you!

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
Re: A couple questions about access...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:34:53 PM »
Well, I have some good news and a little bad news.

You can get the I24 client from this link, and instructions and useful popmenus and tips from here.

The game itself isn't back (yet,) but you can recreate your costumes and run (or fly) around the various zones as your character, spawn NPCs, and make them do emotes for your amusement.  I highly recommend seeing which Giant Monsters you can make popdance or discodance.

You can't attack or the like, but you can explore maps, make costumes, and so on.  Sorry that you lost all of your old data, but that really limits what you can hope to do when the Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers complete their mad schemes to reclaim your characters and their gear/levels.  On the other hand, when it comes back, you can load up the saved costumes and relevel everyone like it's launch day again, which sounds fun to me.

I hope that helps you, and feel free to ask any other question you might have.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »

You can get the I24 client from this link, and instructions and useful popmenus and tips from here.

The game itself isn't back (yet,) but you can recreate your costumes and run (or fly) around the various zones as your character, spawn NPCs, and make them do emotes for your amusement.  I highly recommend seeing which Giant Monsters you can make popdance or discodance.

You can't attack or the like, but you can explore maps, make costumes, and so on.  Sorry that you lost all of your old data, but that really limits what you can hope to do when the Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers complete their mad schemes to reclaim your characters and their gear/levels.  On the other hand, when it comes back, you can load up the saved costumes and relevel everyone like it's launch day again, which sounds fun to me.

I can't wait for this day to come. I come here every day waiting to see that one shiny post. I swear I will hear choir children sing on that day.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 12:55:21 AM »
I can't wait for this day to come. I come here every day waiting to see that one shiny post. I swear I will hear choir children sing on that day.

Yeah, but it will still be all catgirls.

jealousghost

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:50:15 AM »

I know this is pretty vague, but I remember when the game went down reading somewhere on some sort of Titan board instructions on copying character data using a tool. I remember doing that, and I'm certain I have it saved somewhere. Is that what you're referring to for possible future use? (lol if you can understand what I'm describing at all, I really have no idea and will have to do some digging).

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 01:51:11 AM »

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 02:17:00 AM »
I know this is pretty vague, but I remember when the game went down reading somewhere on some sort of Titan board instructions on copying character data using a tool. I remember doing that, and I'm certain I have it saved somewhere. Is that what you're referring to for possible future use? (lol if you can understand what I'm describing at all, I really have no idea and will have to do some digging).

You mean Sentinel?

jealousghost

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:20:39 AM »
Oh, man, I thought it was Mids Hero Designer, but obviously that's something completely different. I'm not seeing anywhere on my computer the character backup I was talking about (not that I even knew what I was talking about). It definitely wasn't Sentinel though.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:37:33 AM »
Fairly sure Sentinel+ was the only backup tool hereabouts.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 01:28:26 PM »

jealousghost

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »

Okie dokie, I downloaded this and moved it to my CoH folder. Now when I try to run Icon (1.71) it crashes every time. It says "the crash occurred ntdll.dll" if that helps =/

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 06:04:38 AM »
Be sure and put it in the CoH BETA folder, not the regular CoH folder....They should be separate.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

jealousghost

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 05:28:18 PM »
Be sure and put it in the CoH BETA folder, not the regular CoH folder....They should be separate.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. Which files do I want in a CoH BETA folder? The update? The Icon?

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 06:23:15 PM »
Healix means the Icon.exe, latest version.

Beta CoH client is recommended, but it should work with the last available Live CoH client too.

Apologies if that's confusing.

You appear to have an odd DLL issue, jealousghost.

What is your OS?
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 08:20:51 AM »
Thanks, Ara, for being clearer...you nailed it :)
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

jealousghost

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »
Healix means the Icon.exe, latest version.

Beta CoH client is recommended, but it should work with the last available Live CoH client too.

Apologies if that's confusing.

You appear to have an odd DLL issue, jealousghost.

What is your OS?
I honestly never played Beta. I'm sorry for such a stupid question, but could you tell me how to do that? Do I just rename the normal CoH folder?

I'm on Windows 8 64 bit, if that helps. Still having the issue =/

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 05:44:58 PM »
I honestly never played Beta. I'm sorry for such a stupid question, but could you tell me how to do that? Do I just rename the normal CoH folder?

I'm on Windows 8 64 bit, if that helps. Still having the issue =/

It's not a stupid question, no worries.

http://www.savecoh.com/p/download-issue-24-beta.html

You'll have to download this and set it up, however, if you wish to try Beta.

It's the last made available to us, latest, most up to date version of the CoH Client.

Get the files from that page, place Icon.exe in your new Beta folder, and then run Icon.exe.

I'm not sure how else to help you with the problem, since I'm not all that knowledgable about DLL issues or Windows 8.

It could be simply that the CoH you are trying to use Icon with now is too old, so try this out.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:50:58 PM by Arachnion »

jealousghost

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 05:48:21 PM »
That's actually where I had downloaded it from originally =/   So to reiterate here's what I've done: Installed original CoH to the usual "City of Heroes" folder. Installed the files from that link to that folder. Installed the Icon files to that folder. Try to run Icon.exe from that folder and get the DLL error. Am I doing anything wrong? If not, I'll see if there's a technical issues subforum or tech issues thread, but I want to make sure I've done everything properly first >_<

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »
Installed original CoH to the usual "City of Heroes" folder.

There's your problem. The original COH install is useless for this purpose; you need a clean copy of the updated version.

jealousghost

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »
Oh really? Just the version in the link above? Interesting! I'll uninstall and try that ^__^

jealousghost

• Underling
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 02:59:27 AM »
Ok! Finally got into the character creator! New issue though...
"Map filed to start. Server is busy. Try again later."
I was under the impression we could "enter" the game and run around maps and such? Am I doing something wrong? >_<
Thanks for helping me out so much!

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 10:02:44 AM »
Ok! Finally got into the character creator! New issue though...
"Map filed to start. Server is busy. Try again later."
I was under the impression we could "enter" the game and run around maps and such? Am I doing something wrong? >_<
Thanks for helping me out so much!
Yes, you should be able to run around the city streets. Make sure you are using the most recent version of icon. (1.7.1 , as per this post http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7288.0.html direct link-  http://repo.cohtitan.com/icon/icon.exe )

aermyr

• Underling
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 11:52:42 PM »
Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but I'll try here first  ;D
I'm having the same error "Map failed to start. The server is busy".  I just copied my old CoH install back to my live machine, downloaded the I24 Beta and the latest version of Icon.  I've never had a previous version of icon installed.

Don't get me wrong, having the character creator is awesome, but i would dearly love to actually get back in for screen shots and "play" with the various maps.

I've tried with the "-n" and "-r" switches with identical results.  My version.ini says "Version=2400.201208211101.1".  Would appreciate any and all assistance.  And even if it never works for me, a thousand thank you's for getting me this far.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 06:07:15 PM »
Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but I'll try here first  ;D
I'm having the same error "Map failed to start. The server is busy".  I just copied my old CoH install back to my live machine, downloaded the I24 Beta and the latest version of Icon.  I've never had a previous version of icon installed.

Don't get me wrong, having the character creator is awesome, but i would dearly love to actually get back in for screen shots and "play" with the various maps.

I've tried with the "-n" and "-r" switches with identical results.  My version.ini says "Version=2400.201208211101.1".  Would appreciate any and all assistance.  And even if it never works for me, a thousand thank you's for getting me this far.

Make sure you are using I24 Beta and not your "old CoH install".

1. Place the latest version of Icon.exe in your I24 Beta folder

2. Run Icon.exe (use -n switch for NPC mode)

3. Done.

Your version.ini string appears to match up, however... so my above instructions may be moot.

Plus, read the Wiki Page.

The latest version of Icon is always available here.

It wouldn't do any harm to delete your current Icon.exe, download from the link above, and try it again.

:)