Author Topic: Having a DLL issue  (Read 2927 times)

jealousghost

• Underling
Having a DLL issue
« on: October 21, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »
Hello! Thanks to everyone's help in my other thread, I seem to have set everything up correctly. But just to make sure, I'll post what I did:

Reinstalled CoH on Windows 8. It was a few issues old, so I downloaded I24 (I think that's what it is) from the savecoh link.
Downloaded Icon and placed in the CoH folder.
Double clicked Icon.exe and let my excitement build...
And now get this error every time I try to open it: "City of Heroes has encountered a problem and needs to close. The crash occured in ntdll.dll"

I've saved the optional zip, if you need any of that info to try to figure out what's going on. Help?

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
Re: Having a DLL issue
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:16:21 AM »
tried running it in compatibility mode or as an administrator?
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:07:12 AM »
Some quick googling tells me ntdll.dll is part of Windows itself. So I'd say the most likely explanation is that CoH simply isn't compatible with Windows 8. You could try running it in compatibility mode for Windows 7 or XP, but if that doesn't work you might just be out of luck.

Anyone know for sure if CoH works properly on Windows 8?

jealousghost

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 03:00:17 AM »
Ok! Finally got into the character creator! Someone helped me with this in my other thread. The issue was I was trying to run regular CoH instead of the Beta file.

New issue though...
"Map filed to start. Server is busy. Try again later."
I was under the impression we could "enter" the game and run around maps and such? Am I doing something wrong? >_<
Thanks for helping!

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 09:33:01 AM »
Are you sure you have the latest version of Icon? Older versions didn't have that capability and I'm pretty sure that's the error message you got if you tried.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 09:32:39 PM »
The latest version of Icon is always available here:
http://repo.cohtitan.com/icon/icon.exe

So download from that link above and replace your current Icon, then try making a character again as usual.

:)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

jealousghost

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 05:21:29 PM »
Ok, got it working! Few more questions...(1) is there a walkthrough or something? I tried using powers and they're in red and don't work at level one. I'm assuming there's a way to use them that I just can't figure out. And I'm sure this is all explained somewhere. (2) What all can you do using Icon? Level up, missions, etc? I see something called PopMenu in the forums here, but I don't know what that is =/

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »
~BIG POST~

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Titan_Icon

"All that Icon will ever be is a costume creator, map loader, animation player and NPC spawner toy.

There will never be combat, there will never be bases, nor will there ever be powers or spawns or chat or events. "

You can run around every single game map ever, create any costume you want (however many), play animations, and spawn *any NPC* in the game.

You can't "save" your characters as you would on Old Live servers, but you can save their costumes, which includes the entire look, so..

You can put animations on NPCs too.

No powers are available to be used at all, no combat, the stuff which you can do is in that Titan Wiki article and my post here.

Pop Menus

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Popmenu_%28Slash_Command%29

Since that article is a bit roundabout/confusing, basically to use popmenus, create the following folders:

\data\texts\<LANGUAGE>\Menus\

In your Beta folder which has the Icon.exe, the one you got working just now, create the above folders like so:

>Create the data folder (if it doesnt already exist)
>Then create texts inside the data folder
>Inside texts, create "English" folder which should be fine
>In that English folder, create Menus folder

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8861.0.html

That's the NPC popmenu thread above.

Download it, then place the file you just downloaded into the folder directory you made, inside Menus of data folder.

You want to download the first link from the top of that post, NOT the Time Menu, I don't really use it, but I believe it easily changes TOD.

Load into Icon, make a character, then finish it and load into a map.

Type /popmenu npc in the chat window, and press enter.

That will give you a menu which will appear at your mouse pointer/cursor position on the screen, from which you can easily load any NPC from the game.

Glad you got it working, sorry if this post is confusing and rambling!

:D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:57:10 PM by Arachnion »

jealousghost

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »
That wasn't confusing at all, thank you for the help! Aww, no powers....but I guess running around reminiscing is still great! ^__^ Thanks again!

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »
You're welcome, Icon really is great fun.

For what it's worth, while we can't use the actual powers, you can still preview most of them in the creator, even with color customization, etc.

Plus, someone found out a way recently to hook visual effects from armor powers/etc onto a character you're "playing" in Icon.

It's a bit complicated, but in the future if you're interested, just post and I'd be glad to help you with it.

If I remember right, you gotta directly edit by hand costume files and dig out coding related names for stuff.

:)