Author Topic: Checking back in :)--Wazzup?  (Read 3255 times)

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
Checking back in :)--Wazzup?
« on: November 06, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
I left Champs for The Secret World a few months ago-ish because I just couldn't take the neglect any more, and I recently checked back in on the Champions forums to see if anything has changed or is better.  All I can tell is that there has been a dodge nerf that seems to be viewed as pretty much a non-event by most and the the REAL FINAL DOOM by flyingfinn :P.  The Cryptic North thing doesn't seem to have yielded anything much yet, as I had feared.  Am I missing something?

Just to give y'all an update, TSW REALLY took patience and stick-to-itiveness, but I hung in there and found a challenging, exciting, smart, atmospheric story-driven game where you ARE a superhero, just in a grittier way--Dark Angel/Buffy style.  They've had some trouble getting people into the game after a buggy start, but, after really sinking my teeth into it, I have to say that I think it's mainly because they were too uncompromising in their integrity and just too darn smart for most gamers (present company excepted--I never considered real CoH people your average "gamers").  If they'd sold out a bit more they would have done much better--but I'm glad they didn't :D.  Unfortunately, because of that they are fighting to keep their company and games alive and have had to circle their wagons, but they did it so intelligently and well--consolidating their teams in one location and sharing between their two games that have the same engine--that the development quality and pace has actually improved!  They've been releasing some truly amazing stuff.

Anywho, tangent there.  So, am I missing anything in Champions?  Is there something on the horizon, or same-old-same-old?

PS-  I translated one of my favorite supernatural toons from CoH/CO into TSW, and it's worked really well :D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:38:28 PM by Empyrean »

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: Checking back in :)--Wazzup?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:49:49 PM »
I think it's safe to say that the folks who liked to play CO still do and those that didn't probly still don't. Same like with chess/checkers/eggs/Lost in Space/etc.

Ya never know, tho, I used to hate eggs.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »
I left Champs for The Secret World a few months ago-ish because I just couldn't take the neglect any more, and I recently checked back in on the Champions forums to see if anything has changed or is better.  All I can tell is that there has been a dodge nerf that seems to be viewed as pretty much a non-event by most and the the REAL FINAL DOOM by flyingfinn :P.  The Cryptic North thing doesn't seem to have yielded anything much yet, as I had feared.  Am I missing something?

Just to give y'all an update, TSW REALLY took patience and stick-to-itiveness, but I hung in there and found a challenging, exciting, smart, atmospheric story-driven game where you ARE a superhero, just in a grittier way--Dark Angel/Buffy style.  They've had some trouble getting people into the game after a buggy start, but, after really sinking my teeth into it, I have to say that I think it's mainly because they were too uncompromising in their integrity and just too darn smart for most gamers (present company excepted--I never considered real CoH people your average "gamers").  If they'd sold out a bit more they would have done much better--but I'm glad they didn't :D.  Unfortunately, because of that they are fighting to keep their company and games alive and have had to circle their wagons, but they did it so intelligently and well--consolidating their teams in one location and sharing between their two games that have the same engine--that the development quality and pace has actually improved!  They've been releasing some truly amazing stuff.

Anywho, tangent there.  So, am I missing anything in Champions?  Is there something on the horizon, or same-old-same-old?

PS-  I translated one of my favorite supernatural toons from CoH/CO into TSW, and it's worked really well :D

They are knee deep in bug fixes, and besides that in the mean time released three new missions. redid the alert thing, anda few tweaks going on. There havent been said anything about a bunch of new content yet, beyond the bug fixes they are working on and the various updates that have happened the past few months that consisted tweaks.

Maybe when they get done with the bug fixes. But like anything, if the money is not there whether they shut down or not, although they said there is no plans to shut down the game anytime soon, there wont be much budget for updates and extensive new materials. If CO players want new materials, they have to put up some cash. If not, then eventually it's back to maintenance mode it goes.

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 04:29:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

That's one of the things that's nice about TSW--with Champions it's not a major game for Perfect World.  Funcom doesn't have a choice, it's their main game :P!

Alrighty, y'all keep flyin high and foiling Dr. Destroyer, I'll be down in the shadows taking care of those pesky unleaded, cults, and secret societies with the occasional extra-dimensional trip to keep "Cthulhu" from "fhtagn".

FIGHT EVIL!

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:13:57 PM »
Recommended move to parent forum.
Spess

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »
They also added some powers to various powersets, but somewhere along the line the game has gotten even slower for me, so I haven't been able to really play it.

It's weird.  I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as CoH, but I still miss playing it.

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 08:54:28 PM »
Well, I did expand on the TSW commentary of this post in the parent forum, so I won't get my feelings hurt if they want to lock this one down or move it.  My original intention was to say hi and see what was going on in Champs, but I guess it did turn into a bit of a TSW discussion.

Fly high, fight evil!

Edit: Ok, whoa, hey, I just got smacked for "shilling" on Champions Discussion forums.  I had to look up shilling to find out what it even meant.  What I did was naive and I guess stupid, but not intentional.  I've been posting there for over a year and never got in any trouble.

Brou, I know you post on both, and now I'm banned for three days--the first time I've ever been banned on any forum ever--so I can't even apologize over there.  Would you please tell them I'm just an idiot.  I'll make sure to read up on forum etiquette before posting again.

Sorry, sincerely.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:15:04 PM by Empyrean »

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 11:19:14 PM »
I relayed your message. Sorry that happened to you.
Spess

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 11:41:06 PM »
Nah, I understand now.  Now that I look at my posts I see what it looked like.  Bone headed on my part.  Thanks for telling them :).

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 03:31:47 AM »
I like the game (CO) so it doesn't have anything to prove to me. I'm not waiting for something to come along and make it a good game. I like it already. Liked it before I even knew how cool Freeforms are and now I like it even more.

Some people seem tortured over what to play or what they are playing. So. Maybe I'm just lucky. I never have had a hard time finding an online game I enjoy. None of them have been perfect. Some seem downright stone age right now. But at the time I was playing them I knew that I enjoyed playing them. I was never waiting for something to happen to make the game enjoyable - it either was or it wasn't and if it wasn't then I went on to something that was.

If anything, I worry that someone will make the game I'm playing unfun. Like with this whole thing we have here now with nerfs. Whether they are good or overdue or whatever.. Nerfs make me uneasy.

This reply isn't directed at the OP, the OP just kinda makes me think of the things in this reply.

It's like with...backgammon. I like backgammon. I'm not waiting for the devs to come in and make it a good game, I like it already. If you play backgammon and don't like it - you probably never will. Same with CO. CO is CO. You can add content and balance and rebalance toons and bug fix and whatever else but CO is, CO. It's still the same game.

See now, Emp at least went and found him a game he enjoys. A lot of people agree with him on his choice, too.

But then you have people in Zone chat, just like were in General chat in CoH that are.. 'bored' or that think whatever other game is better or that think the devs should do this and that to make the game fun for them - and they are blah - blahing to people already *having* fun and tired of reading their blah blah. These people obviously never have enjoyed playing the game and probably never will but are experts in telling us all how to make it better.

It's like W  t  f  people..?

I just imagine them in a theater, watching a movie, "This movie sucks. If only they would do this or that to make it better then it would be good and I might like it. If this movie was more like another movie I like it would be a good movie. I'm only watching this movie because it is sort of like the other movie that I do like that doesn't play anymore and I've never been able to find another movie I like since then. Hey, check out this movie on my iPad!"

SHHHHHHHHH!

PS.
This is not a shill for Backgammon.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 03:45:20 AM »
indeed.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 01:16:59 AM »
I like the game (CO) so it doesn't have anything to prove to me. I'm not waiting for something to come along and make it a good game. I like it already. Liked it before I even knew how cool Freeforms are and now I like it even more.

Some people seem tortured over what to play or what they are playing. So. Maybe I'm just lucky. I never have had a hard time finding an online game I enjoy. None of them have been perfect. Some seem downright stone age right now. But at the time I was playing them I knew that I enjoyed playing them. I was never waiting for something to happen to make the game enjoyable - it either was or it wasn't and if it wasn't then I went on to something that was.

If anything, I worry that someone will make the game I'm playing unfun. Like with this whole thing we have here now with nerfs. Whether they are good or overdue or whatever.. Nerfs make me uneasy.

This reply isn't directed at the OP, the OP just kinda makes me think of the things in this reply.

It's like with...backgammon. I like backgammon. I'm not waiting for the devs to come in and make it a good game, I like it already. If you play backgammon and don't like it - you probably never will. Same with CO. CO is CO. You can add content and balance and rebalance toons and bug fix and whatever else but CO is, CO. It's still the same game.

See now, Emp at least went and found him a game he enjoys. A lot of people agree with him on his choice, too.

But then you have people in Zone chat, just like were in General chat in CoH that are.. 'bored' or that think whatever other game is better or that think the devs should do this and that to make the game fun for them - and they are blah - blahing to people already *having* fun and tired of reading their blah blah. These people obviously never have enjoyed playing the game and probably never will but are experts in telling us all how to make it better.

It's like W  t  f  people..?

I just imagine them in a theater, watching a movie, "This movie sucks. If only they would do this or that to make it better then it would be good and I might like it. If this movie was more like another movie I like it would be a good movie. I'm only watching this movie because it is sort of like the other movie that I do like that doesn't play anymore and I've never been able to find another movie I like since then. Hey, check out this movie on my iPad!"

SHHHHHHHHH!

PS.
This is not a shill for Backgammon.

Thats a key concern alot of players have with CO right now, the nerfs.  Some people in the forums even ask for nerfs designed to try and make the game so healers are required for everything, like asking for massive nerfs to defensive passives, dodge, anything that makes healers unneeded by freeformers, and nerfs to self-healing.

The fear I have is if the devs listen to those, the games fun will be killed for me completely.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 01:34:23 AM »
Thats a key concern alot of players have with CO right now, the nerfs.  Some people in the forums even ask for nerfs designed to try and make the game so healers are required for everything, like asking for massive nerfs to defensive passives, dodge, anything that makes healers unneeded by freeformers, and nerfs to self-healing.

The fear I have is if the devs listen to those, the games fun will be killed for me completely.

yeah hope they don't go that far.

How many time do Superman carry around a pocket healer, or Hulk, Batman, Flash, Squirrel Girl, Wolverine, Spiderman? Do the wonder twins even carry around a pocket healer?

The point of freeform is so a person can build so if they take heals for others they still can do other things. And most heals are not target someone else only. They usually affect the player too.

I think in CO or any game especially super hero games where it's spouted about "the comics did it this way, it's superhero lore, and etc." (But someone how miss important aspect of super hero lore i.e super heroes usually don't need healers or anyone else to get the job done), nothing outside the player should be needed. Iron man, Hulk, Cpt America, Thor each can go out and kick butt on their own without a pocket healer or anyone else for that matter. But when they get together, it's still epic. AKA other players should be a good safety net just in case but not requirement. 

What those healers are forgetting about in what I think is very short sighted is  while they are trying to nerf passives they forget the nerfs they are yelling about will also affect their passives and their survivability. So instead of being alive after taking a AOE hit, they are face plant. And dead toons cant heal others.

Me personally I don't mind having a healer on the team. It means I can save my personal heal for an "oh shit the healer is dead" moments and kill the surviving mob instead of going "oh shit the healer is dead" and everyone face plants.
But I play super hero games to feel like...well super heroes. Not some out of my league sidekick. A super hero rises to the challenge and kick butt. Not play to go "Wait wait don't hit me, I need to go get five of my buddies and a healer before we fight, Lord Evil Villain."

The dodge nerf I can half way see that as point for point in gear seems way out of alignment with other defense rewards. Although I'm over all against nerfs because people built their toon around the mechanics provided and now they must throw it out because later after years later the devs decide it's too powerful? WTH?

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 03:01:28 AM »
That was one of the shocking things to me about CoH when it came out. You could not only solo but you could really kick some major booty. Whole groups of mobs solo? Group after group? No way! That just wasn't done. And holy cow the xp bar isn't frozen and when I die it's not an actual tragedy.

Some people that were playing EQ at the time wrote off CoH based on these things. CoH was too easy. Too fluff. I was like "Nawww, you don't get it. This is what living out your comic book fantasies is all about. Being OP!"

I could not believe someone actually made a game like CoH. And was pleased. And then we got nerfed to crap and I went back to EQ, which pleased the missus, and lost track of CoH until Freedom came out and I accidentally got subbed/hooked again and then you know what happened next.

Funny that Healers are mentioned as a source of our current.. woes. I used to hardcore play a healer, I get the mindset, but sheesh, come on guys, these games aren't new anymore... Adapt. Just because you chose a support toon at the character creation screen doesn't automatically make you special. Other people are important now too.. Teams aren't just the tank and healer and ... those other people, anymore.

I got cussed out yet again by a healer just this morning. Was half awake, buzzing through Dailies, like about everyone else in the team it seemed. All on auto pilot. Well, a healer gets himself stuck outside in this alert we're in and says in (whichever) chat "if no one comes out here to help me then no one gets healed!"

I don't even notice what was said in chat until we are almost done with the Alert. The healer by then has managed to find his way to the rest of the team. We finish the alert, and then he called us all a name. Probably his only contributions to the Alert were getting stuck outside and getting pissed but yet the rest of the team were the bad guys.

Healers.. Sometimes you're special. Sometimes you're not. It goes the same for dps, tanks, whoever else. Sheesh what is the deal with these CO healers I keep running into! I mean they are OLD SCHOOL tight booties. I haven't seen this kinda thing since EQ. When it was me. And my healer buddies. hehe..

Some Faves:

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 05:51:55 AM »
That was one of the shocking things to me about CoH when it came out. You could not only solo but you could really kick some major booty. Whole groups of mobs solo? Group after group? No way! That just wasn't done. And holy cow the xp bar isn't frozen and when I die it's not an actual tragedy.

Some people that were playing EQ at the time wrote off CoH based on these things. CoH was too easy. Too fluff. I was like "Nawww, you don't get it. This is what living out your comic book fantasies is all about. Being OP!"

I could not believe someone actually made a game like CoH. And was pleased. And then we got nerfed to crap and I went back to EQ, which pleased the missus, and lost track of CoH until Freedom came out and I accidentally got subbed/hooked again and then you know what happened next.

Funny that Healers are mentioned as a source of our current.. woes. I used to hardcore play a healer, I get the mindset, but sheesh, come on guys, these games aren't new anymore... Adapt. Just because you chose a support toon at the character creation screen doesn't automatically make you special. Other people are important now too.. Teams aren't just the tank and healer and ... those other people, anymore.

I got cussed out yet again by a healer just this morning. Was half awake, buzzing through Dailies, like about everyone else in the team it seemed. All on auto pilot. Well, a healer gets himself stuck outside in this alert we're in and says in (whichever) chat "if no one comes out here to help me then no one gets healed!"

I don't even notice what was said in chat until we are almost done with the Alert. The healer by then has managed to find his way to the rest of the team. We finish the alert, and then he called us all a name. Probably his only contributions to the Alert were getting stuck outside and getting pissed but yet the rest of the team were the bad guys.

Healers.. Sometimes you're special. Sometimes you're not. It goes the same for dps, tanks, whoever else. Sheesh what is the deal with these CO healers I keep running into! I mean they are OLD SCHOOL tight booties. I haven't seen this kinda thing since EQ. When it was me. And my healer buddies. hehe..
Seen it in COX issue at least 6-8 then it faded away as kins took their place until Null the gull came along then no one AT set of players took the mantle that I knew of.

And in the COX crowd there is remnants of the EQ line of thinking from ATs, to tanks must do this healers must do that blasters must do this.

What those people don't realize is the game landscape is changing and eventually it will be either evolve instead of trying to force people to team or become obsolete and cease to exist. More and more choices are cropping up each day where, even on consoles, a person can play solo no issues not miss anything and when they choose, they can get online and play with friends or people they never met and go back and forth without affecting their gameplay. The days of "Must team because it's MMO and everyone must team and everyone must need healer tank damage toon on one team" are in it's sunset. And the smaller games will get consumed by the darkness first if they don't evolve. Choices is King now. The days of consoles mean plug in controller if ya want to play with someone or PC, must find guild to take on 10 rats, are over. Most games now have some sort of internet feature, even Sims 3 have interconnected where stats and Sims 4 is going to be more MMO like but still keeping the stand alone solo play feature. BEcause they know and most of the big dogs out there in recent times made in 2007 and up know more choices means wider range of players. Those that starve themselves of money and players are usually those that stick to conventions that are going on 20 years old for no other reason besides "Well EQ did it that way so that means that is the only way to do it."

That is another reason I definitely don't want my life depending on the whims of someone else depending on whether I kiss their bottom or not. "Don't heal me? fine. Hey lookie here, I have my own heal."

Depending on others for fun is no fun at all for me.

Hopefully with the new games the yare not thinking soley about games today but games and features that up and coming and might be out in the next 3-6 years from now. And those 20 years conventions, especially with indie games becoming more common place, will be as obsolete as the convention of "Every rpg must be fanatasy".
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 05:57:41 AM by JaguarX »

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 04:41:59 PM »
Yeah.

Something I've been torn on for years, tho, is raid loot. I'm in favor of special/significant rewards for people who make the effort to team up and use some strategy to do something special/epic and I like to raid. But I also remember how bad it can suck to be totally outclassed by raid loot when I was putting as much into the game as I could. Which was a lot. Raiding isn't for everyone, for lots of reasons. Timing is a major one. So, what to do.

Raid quality rewards for completing a major task solo could work for those that never want to/can raid but want to have as good as gear and are as dedicated to playing as anyone else.

I think the days of someone getting special status just due to what they picked at the character creation screen have been, mostly, over for awhile now. Now j00 also got to play special to be special if you want anyone to listen.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »
I'm glad ya found a game you like Emp. It's the whole point of playing. Have joy, share joy...

When CoH went away my options were way limited due to I only get 5 gig a month to dl.. I just got lucky that CO worked out so well for me. Before CO, I came here to the Other Games forum and got into some ancientware games for awhile, enjoyed talking to folks there, and am really glad I got to re-experience some of that stuff but the void was still there.

Have to have an online home..

So yeah, grats! I think I said something similar when you first found TSW.

I was glad they let my thread on Fortuna survive here. I only posted about it here because the folks in this forum are the only people I keep in touch with, we're all gamers, it comes from PWE, and I felt like sharing like I imagine that you did. Difference was I didn't put down CO in the process..hehe.

No offense meant. This situation occurs so often, with people just putting down the game in the forum here or in the game itself, that the only thing I can come up with is these folks simply don't see that CO is fun to the people they are preaching to. And is as worthy of defending as CoH was. I don't play CO because it's the closest thing I can find to CoH, I play CO because I like playing CO. Years before CoH I liked reading comics. Then my collection got stolen and I've never bought one since  : / Now I get to be a comic book dude and that's been working out alright since 2 games now. Lucky me!

Some Faves:

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:45 AM »
I miss CoH to this day.  I went to Champs because it was as close as I could get to CoH too.  A few things in Champs just dropped my jaw in a good way, but in the end it always felt like an amazing start that was unfairly abandoned.  I'll admit, I let that get to me and I got frustrated with it.

While I am and will always be a cape and tights guy at heart, it's been nice to find a game that feels like it is being nurtured and growing.  But, I was tactlessly vociferous about the whole thing and got a slap on the wrist for it.  I deserved it,  and no hard feelings towards anyone :).  I usually have more sense than that.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:24:56 PM by Empyrean »

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »
Glad yer having fun, Emp. You win.

Some Faves: