Author Topic: Hope that S.C.O.R.E project is still being contemplated  (Read 35613 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Re: Hope that S.C.O.R.E project is still being contemplated
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2013, 10:01:24 PM »
Wonderful way to run the thread into personal attacks.

Remember the reason we are here is to try and bring back City of Heroes.

JaguarX - you are completely off base on the rocket thing. This is SOFTWARE, ARTWORK and WRITING. This is a creative work. You have someone who purchased the rights to use this work and publish it. Now they decided - we don't want to use it anymore.

I am not basing it on whether you worked there or not, I am basing it on the same premise as abandonware - rather than have it lost for the ages - you put the game into the public domain up until they decide to use it again - if they do you stop all work on it and shut the servers down again as they roll it out.

I seriously wonder if they would be willing to turn the game over to a group specifically to do this?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2013, 10:15:13 PM »
Wonderful way to run the thread into personal attacks.

Remember the reason we are here is to try and bring back City of Heroes.

JaguarX - you are completely off base on the rocket thing. This is SOFTWARE, ARTWORK and WRITING. This is a creative work. You have someone who purchased the rights to use this work and publish it. Now they decided - we don't want to use it anymore.

I am not basing it on whether you worked there or not, I am basing it on the same premise as abandonware - rather than have it lost for the ages - you put the game into the public domain up until they decide to use it again - if they do you stop all work on it and shut the servers down again as they roll it out.

I seriously wonder if they would be willing to turn the game over to a group specifically to do this?

See that is the thing. It's too early to call it abandonware. They didn't say they are not using the IP and other stuff yet. For all anyone know they may be using portions of the IP in various new projects they may have planned. And from what I gather so far no one yet have purchased the right to use and publish this work yet. Even when Cryptic abandoned it, NCOSF still had to purchase the rest of the rights.

Even with writing and artwork, just because the artist isn't adding to it or making sequels using the original artwork doesn't mean they  totally abandoned it immediately or automatically give up their rights and claim to it. Unless of course they actually say they do. Either way, they still own the right to their work and art until they relinquish it, regardless of how often they use it in that type of realm. In fact even dead music artist even though they are dead and if the record company don't own the rights, the estate(family) of said artist still get paid and people still must pay for it. Like those listings of dead artists that are still pulling in money for their estate even though they been long dead. And many of them still have unreleased tracks that by definition someone still owns, and just because it isn't released or planned on released doesn't mean it's fair game to use. 

Many games been shutdown, as people pointed out, only to come back a few years later, sometimes under new ownership. They never said they didn't want to use it anymore never again just yet.  It's only been a year. Hell, the HM thing is still trying to get negotiation of purchase still and even said that takes a few years or so.

And if the game did come back, think people will shut the servers down? It's already been said they will release to the wild and make it impossible to shut down the servers that is out there.

But they might be willing to, as I suggested earlier, if someone simply asked them. Never know. They may say yes they may say nay.

But with the rocket thing, it fits where it supposed to fit. In the context I was using it in was just because someone works for a company and create something while part of that company and they leave for whatever reason doesn't mean they have claim to their work if they agreed to as part of their employment that what they create is property of that employer. If they were freelance, maybe so. And some people do consider their work in the weapons industry as artwork just as some consider things, like a video game, artwork. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 10:36:00 PM by JaguarX »

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2013, 10:54:22 PM »
GUess you missed the part where I said the person don't own the rocket anymore, the government do, and thus by their sov. right, they can prevent others from using it.

I saw it, I just didn't understand why you were bringing sovereign rights into a discussion of ownership of intellectual property by private entities.

... but really in the grand schematics of things, where do a super hero mmo video game fit into the concept of the "public good"? Really and seriously. I doubt having a video game operating or not operating is considered detrimental to the public good anymore than someone keeping a recipe to a liquor. ...  Games are generally viewed as something of recreational side thing, not something that is needed for the common public good of mankind.

Where a video game fits into the concept of the "public good" is exactly where a novel or painting or movie fits into the concept of "public good".   It is a creative work of art and advances the total cultural heritage of mankind.  It's contribution to "the public good" is the ONLY reason that one can "OWN" it under copyright (for a limited period of time). 

Sure some people are addicted to liquor and feel they cant live without it, and the person should release the recipe because they want and neeed that particular liquor and the other ones don't feed their need and desire. In court, that would hardly be viewed as ,"man, that poor guy, they should have no right withholding that guy from his addiction." Games are generally viewed as something of recreational side thing, not something that is needed for the common public good of mankind.

The people posting here who want to play the game make up "the public" and are part of "mankind" -- there's no lesser status accorded to them simply because you denigrate their taste in pastime or entertainment.  City of Heroes is both a creative work of art and an enabling medium that allowed thousands to create derivative works of art.

And AS a work of art, it's protection under copyright is for the same purpose as any -- the encouragement of the creation of OTHER works of art so that the public good is enriched.  That purpose is to be achieved by allowing creators to be rewarded for the creation by selling their work to the public.  The mechanism of "selling" the "property" has made it possible for people to do what NC Soft is doing with COX -- refusing to allow others its use.  That is directly contrary to the good intention of the law -- the exploitation of a failure of the law to contemplate that someone would prefer to not ALLOW the public access to a creative work. 

It is morally wrong. 

It SHOULD be legally wrong. 

And any discussion of the company's actions should keep that in mind.

Oh, and also you can't "own" a recipe.  If you can figure out the recipe of Coke (or a liquor), there is absolutely nothing Coke can do to stop you from producing your own version of the drink.  That's because a recipe is not considered "intellectual property" because it is not considered necessary to reward recipe makers in order to produce more recipes -- beyond the reward they get from producing their products.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2013, 11:07:34 PM »
Keep it civil in here.  Despite the fact that my moderator hat is fluffy and warm and it's pretty cold outside, I'd still prefer not to have to put it on if I don't have to.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2013, 01:14:17 AM »
< mod hat

This thread is now locked.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov