Author Topic: Hope that S.C.O.R.E project is still being contemplated  (Read 35604 times)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
Re: Hope that S.C.O.R.E project is still being contemplated
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
I'm hoping really hard as well... I miss my Warshade, which I spent almost 2,000 hours on. :/

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 06:10:15 PM by AlienOne »
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 06:50:17 PM »
dang....  they say, 'pics or it didn't happen'- it happened! lol

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 07:33:51 PM »
Hells yeah, I haven't finished purpling out my own Warshade! I shared a pic of her here before. She's rad. :D

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »
Oh yeah and since we're dreaming and wishing? I really hope we can get rid of those aggro limits. I miss the old days of Perez Park, and also dumpster diving.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 03:53:11 AM »
Oh yeah and since we're dreaming and wishing? I really hope we can get rid of those aggro limits. I miss the old days of Perez Park, and also dumpster diving.
i'd settle for what we had at shutdown. Although i'd really like to see the stuff that was still in beta as well. Still, a console allowing you to alter the game's rules to your heart's content on your own server would be acceptable.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 11:55:18 AM »
SCORE has been my soapbox since the shutdown announcement and (along with City of Titans) its why i'm still here. I trust Tony, who is probably not actively working on SCORE but would definitely be privy to information, that it is being worked on. So have faith, CoH's best and brightest ARE working toward getting Paragon City back, I'm sure it will take time but it will be back.

City of Titans will carry us forward and SCORE will bring City of Heroes back.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »
I am definitely looking forward to City of Titans and, of course, still wishing could all log into our fave MMO and fly the skies above Paragon City this holiday season!  Hoping that day come soon.  /em holdtorch   oh, and Yay and Go Good Team to S.C.O.R.E. (if such a group exists).  Thanks for doing what you can to bring back our City.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 02:13:35 AM »
 Id like to make is clear.. Im not complaining.. not saying its taking too long.. not saying that whoever is working on it needs to hurry it up.. nothing like that.. i FULLY understand that it must be a time consuming arduous process and one that is being worked on part time in people free time..

Im only hoping it hasnt been forgotten or put aside in light of the other projects.. because the reality for me is that even if these projects do come to light and are successful I would STILL probably play CoH if it was ever made available..

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 02:27:36 AM »
SCORE is the joy I'm waiting patiently to jump for :)
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »
Id like to make is clear.. Im not complaining.. not saying its taking too long.. not saying that whoever is working on it needs to hurry it up.. nothing like that.. i FULLY understand that it must be a time consuming arduous process and one that is being worked on part time in people free time..

Im only hoping it hasnt been forgotten or put aside in light of the other projects.. because the reality for me is that even if these projects do come to light and are successful I would STILL probably play CoH if it was ever made available..

Assuming the SCORE people are at least as passionate as the rest of these forums are (and how can they not be?) I doubt they will ever "forget" or "put aside" bringing back our city!

JKPhage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 06:22:39 PM »

This just brings up the wonderful thought for me that I'm not sure everyone fully grasps or appreciates if they haven't ever used a "private server" before: This will finally, truly be OUR city. Once you lay the framework for the game and the servers, the rest is up to the people running the server. They'll be able to add new powersets, tweak old ones, add zones, add whole story arcs, badges, TFs, anything. They can create a hard-mode server where street mobs are three levels higher and you gain XP at half the rate, or an easy mode server where you start at level 50. There is a whole world of possibility, and with such a creative community as ours the sky truly is the limit. We have artists and modelers, writers and developers, math wizards and code experts.

If we get together as a community and decide we want to complete the Wind Control set that never even got animations, we can put our people to work designing animations and effects, balancing the numbers, and writing the code for it, then it can simply be implemented and we'll have a brand new power set. We can create new custom animations/power themes/effects as a community and implement them. I'm sure plenty of talented artists among us would be able to create the proper graphical assets to give Dark Blast/Dark Manipulation/Dark Whatever the same inky effects as Darkness Control. We could add an extra power to Darkness Control itself that would give you a different pet than the dark wolf and make them mutually exclusive. We could perform proliferation ourselves. And that's just POWERS. Considering all the amazing story arcs from Architect, we could introduce enough content to keep the missions going for decades, create new assets for new zones, we could rebuild Boomtown, make that Rikti EAT that was always talked about, hell, with enough work, we could even create Clown Summoning!

I'm just as excited for this as anyone, even if none of this happens. I just want my city back, the way it was at the end, and I'm willing to wait however long it takes to get it back, but if we really take the initiative then we won't have to settle for just having it back, we can rebuild from the ashes and make it better than it ever was.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 11:15:43 PM »
This just brings up the wonderful thought for me that I'm not sure everyone fully grasps or appreciates if they haven't ever used a "private server" before: This will finally, truly be OUR city. Once you lay the framework for the game and the servers, the rest is up to the people running the server. They'll be able to add new powersets, tweak old ones, add zones, add whole story arcs, badges, TFs, anything. They can create a hard-mode server where street mobs are three levels higher and you gain XP at half the rate, or an easy mode server where you start at level 50. There is a whole world of possibility, and with such a creative community as ours the sky truly is the limit. We have artists and modelers, writers and developers, math wizards and code experts.

We can also reasonably hope that people will be able to share innovations like this that they develop on their own servers in packages so that other servers can import and implement them.  See you in Atlas 333.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Gleech

• Minion
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 04:50:06 AM »

If we get together as a community and decide we want to complete the Wind Control set that never even got animations, we can put our people to work designing animations and effects, balancing the numbers, and writing the code for it, then it can simply be implemented and we'll have a brand new power set. We can create new custom animations/power themes/effects as a community and implement them. I'm sure plenty of talented artists among us would be able to create the proper graphical assets to give Dark Blast/Dark Manipulation/Dark Whatever the same inky effects as Darkness Control. We could add an extra power to Darkness Control itself that would give you a different pet than the dark wolf and make them mutually exclusive. We could perform proliferation ourselves. And that's just POWERS. Considering all the amazing story arcs from Architect, we could introduce enough content to keep the missions going for decades, create new assets for new zones, we could rebuild Boomtown, make that Rikti EAT that was always talked about, hell, with enough work, we could even create Clown Summoning!

I'm just as excited for this as anyone, even if none of this happens. I just want my city back, the way it was at the end, and I'm willing to wait however long it takes to get it back, but if we really take the initiative then we won't have to settle for just having it back, we can rebuild from the ashes and make it better than it ever was.
You're making me water at the mouth with all of that... D:
(I've run servers before, but a CoH one would be so much better than any other one I've run...)

Well, I was hoping for the 1 year anniversary of CoH's closing SCORE would drop a little hint bomb on us about the completion status of the project. But oh well, I guess not (that I'm aware of)... : (

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 04:51:28 AM »

I think that is a bit overly ambitious.. Id love to see an Issue 23/24 version down the line some time

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 10:34:42 PM »
I think that is a bit overly ambitious.. Id love to see an Issue 23/24 version down the line some time

I'd give SCORE about the same chances as the ReactOS project, in not only reaching but maybe surpassing what the original developers had in mind. And I'm totally behind both of those.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 10:42:36 PM »
I am down with people tinkering with the original game; the only thing that might run me off is open-world PvP because: no.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 10:51:54 PM »

You'd be surprised what people can do with free time, familiarity with what they're messing with, and just plain ol' ingenuity.

Trust me, I've been on private servers for other games like JK speaks of in the past.. if SCoRE has a firm grasp of the CoH code and framework..

If nothing else, I'm sure they're working hard to bring us back our city at all.

Keep up hope.

:)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 12:58:30 AM »
I'm holding on, waiting, watching and hoping. I check in daily to see if anything is happening. I donate money every month. I remain hopeful, but weary.

This last year has been the worst year of my life and I really could have used City of Heroes to unwind with. It always made me feel better and like things mattered. I've said it before. It's still true. I just want to play City of Heroes again before I die.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

JKPhage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 05:13:43 AM »
I am down with people tinkering with the original game; the only thing that might run me off is open-world PvP because: no.

Yeah: this.

I'm sure a PVP server wouldn't be a bad thing for those that enjoy it, and it's a totally viable option, especially when people can tinker with the mechanics and "fix" PVP as so many were begging for all those years. That's the beauty of private servers, you can do anything you want with them given enough time and knowledge. And I don't believe I'm mistaken in thinking that a few members of the dev team are still lingering around this community.

And I don't think I'm being overly ambitious. Perhaps a bit pre-emptive, considering we don't even have a running server yet, but all things in time. Once we have the game up and running again it's really a rather simple matter to add basic things like effects and such. Given, zones/powersets/story arcs/etc. will take a decent chunk of time to put together, but when you have a whole community of devotees working on it without budget/timeline woes and corporate restrictions to deal with I don't think it'll be near as difficult as some people imagine. I've experienced WoW servers that autolevel your toon to max on first log-in with class appropriate raiding gear and plunk you in the middle of a custom built town with vendors selling basically everything in the game. If they can do it, so can we.

Either way, I'm not expecting all of this out of the gate. I know it's gonna be baby steps. At first we're gonna be dealing with a server that has tons of bugs, events that don't play out right, wonky collision detection, enemies spawning in walls and myriad other things that will have to be ironed out before we get it back to "official" status, and then we can build from there. All I'm saying is that with a community so creative, and a game that not only nurtured but ENCOURAGED that creativity, there's no way that we're gonna be satisfied leaving it at that. I for one would love to see some kind of community panel to choose a new "story team" who can put their game knowledge and love of the lore to use expanding our game even further. Time will tell, but so far the future is looking bright.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 10:21:32 AM »
/em holdtorch until the day arrives. and much Kudos to the secret folks doing secret things !

In the meantime, I fully understand why some things might be kept under the radar.

("loose lips might sink ships" cut for brevity)

Yes. Very yes. It happened before and it can happen again. I don't remember the exact specifics as to why it happened with those guys, but people were openly spreading the word to all kinds of forums and gaming sites. That couldn't have been good for their health.

Anyway, normally I am really, really against the idea of private servers. The first real MMO I got into was gutted by runaway pirate servers, to the point that people tend to think the game was meant to be free and open source in the first place. You know the saying "too many cooks spoil the broth?" Those guys considered several hundred times the EXP rate to be so-called "low rate servers." I had warred long with irreverent pirate server spamvertizers who saw my webcomic's community as nothing but ad space. So I tend to have a really sour view of them in general.

Here, though? We're one of the few major exceptions to the rule. As a communty we were and are fiercely loyal to the dev studio that made our game; we didn't try to screw them over by not paying to play it. We stuck by them to the end, and tried everything we could to convince NCSoft to let us keep paying them so we could continue playing. Not only did we stick by the devs to the end, we treated them to a nice dinner after NCSoft gave them all the pink slip.

... I gotta stop dragging my soapbox everywhere.