Author Topic: Hope that S.C.O.R.E project is still being contemplated  (Read 35612 times)

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
Re: Hope that S.C.O.R.E project is still being contemplated
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »
Here, though? We're one of the few major exceptions to the rule.

So then... in the defunct MMO community, we're the Mongols?

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 08:51:55 PM »
I've experienced WoW servers that autolevel your toon to max on first log-in with class appropriate raiding gear and plunk you in the middle of a custom built town with vendors selling basically everything in the game. If they can do it, so can we.

Having worked on code for a few private-run UO servers, I can tell you that with a good coding team, you can make some amazing difference and changes in how the game works.

What you cannot do easily, is make new graphics. Re-use old ones in interesting ways, perhaps, but just to make a single new weapon in UO required a ton of pictures for animations... maybe it would be a bit easier in CoH with its animation framework system rather than a tile-based graphics system, but I doubt that it will be at all easy... just, perhaps, easier than "not worth the effort" like in UO.

That said, UO emulators converted the UO skill systems to class-based systems, level-up systems, point-purchase systems. I wrote a full new magic system replacing the default UO spells completely... so, in theory, once there is an emulator, it can be customized to do nearly anything under the existing graphics.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 11:12:28 PM »
I think graphics can be done. You need a decent 3-d modeler and good understanding of how the graphics in COH work. Unless is something really different, you may be able to mod a current animation to be paired with a new weapon.

But all this waits upon the success of secret works.

AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 01:11:02 AM »
So then... in the defunct MMO community, we're the Mongols?

Not sure what you mean there.

Keep in mind though, that when I was talking about my usual intense dislike of pirate servers and why I insist on calling them pirate servers, my examples were about people running pirate servers for MMOs that were (and in many cases still are) not defunct. Those types were providing absolutely-free alternatives to the game while it was still live and receiving updates and support. On some level, that financially hurt the legit game servers and developers, especially before F2P became the norm economic model.

The CoH community didn't do that. Titan Network has even said that while it was their holy grail to emulate the CoH server because that would prove they have mastered all knowledge of how it works, they didn't consider developing an emulator for circulation while the game was still extant. It's hard to say how many people would stop paying to play CoH during the time it was alive if there was an emulator in circulation, especially after the move to F2P, but I am sure there would have been some sort of financial hit to Paragon Studios if it had happened.

That's what I was getting at, the main difference between us and the pirate server types that have boiled my blood plenty of times over the years. The pirate server communities of other MMOs I've played care nothing for the devs who created the game, and some in fact actually hoped to ruin said developers financially. As in, they wanted to drive the devs into bankruptcy by starving them of paying customers.

We were and are just the opposite of that, and honestly there's no greater proof than the way we showed our solidarity through that dinner we funded for the laid-off Paragon team.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:26:46 AM by Little David »

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 03:52:20 AM »
I'm also struck by the fact that with the client containing the AE interface, there's at least the control system for player generated missions, mobs and NPCs (as ICON demonstrates) -- so even if there were issues with playing "City of Heroes", you could replace all of the game content with new community-developed content developed from the client resources and played on the Client's maps -- a "Neutronium squad mission" rather than a "Positron task force", if you will.  Just ask Stellarman's neice, Liberty Lady who's standing in front of that big Atlas statue in "City Center".

And since the Client content was released freely, it would seem difficult to justify legal action against such a game server even ignoring the multiplicity of servers from freely released reverse engineering.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Gleech

• Minion
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 04:42:54 AM »
...my examples were about people running pirate servers for MMOs that were (and in many cases still are) not defunct. Those types were providing absolutely-free alternatives to the game while it was still live and receiving updates and support. On some level, that financially hurt the legit game servers and developers, especially before F2P became the norm economic model.
Okay I don't mean to start anything with this, but I must say you're giving Private Servers a little too much crap. I've run them before, and I know for sure that one major reason that CoH never got one is because there was little to nothing seriously wrong with the game. There was nothing wrong enough to make players go "man I wanna' make my own version of the game!" Look at all the games popular for Private Servers:
Maplestory (Pre-Big Bang):
 - Slow Leveling
 - Difficult to start
 - Difficult to get money
 - Cash shop items (had to pay real money)

Runescape:
 - Slow leveling
 - Tedious gameplay
 - (semi) difficult to earn money

And a lesser known game: LaTale:
 - Slow Leveling
 - Can be difficult to play
 - Semi-tedious gameplay

I can't say much for WoW (If it has private servers) because I honestly only played a trial of it and didn't get a very good opinion on the game, but from what I DID gather it had slow leveling.
Why else would players want to make their servers have huge EXP boosts? The problem is not the servers themselves, it's the players running them if you look at it like that. They're lazy and wanted a quick fix to being good at a game.
They key to this point is: Most (if not all) of the games with private servers available had some issues that players hated but Devs didn't care to fix / didn't feel the need to fix.

Does that mean I hate people who make 150x exp Private Servers? No. It's what those people want. The point of a private server is that it's your OWN little private server.

As for "Ruining the game studios" and "wanting the devs to go bankrupt"... There's very little proof that private servers have THAT much impact on a game. You think Nexon is crying in a corner because people are making Maplestory Private servers? No...

Here's a good example of where private servers are good when it comes to currently running games: When the devs royally mess up a game. Example: Maplestory. It use to be fun. Though it did have a problem with difficulty, it gave it a nostalgic charm looking back. I wouldn't have known it for much if it didn't have any such infamy. It was tedious, difficult... but oh so addicting. It had it's fair share of Private Servers for those who liked the "get high-leveled quick" stuff, but the game itself was always 100x more populated than any private server I ever saw. However, once Maplestory's Big Bang update came out and changed literally everything about how the game played, I wanted to go back. I didn't want to be handed level 100 on a silver platter. So I decided a private server should be put up for my friends and I.

Think Nexon is crying over losing us as players? Doubt it. I'm sure they're swimming in their pools of cash right now.

Point is: Private servers aren't necessarily bad. You're just looking at them in a bad light. You're making it sound like everyone who associates with them should be put on a blacklist and hunted down as monsters. You literally have been saying they wish the death of game studios:
and some in fact actually hoped to ruin said developers financially. As in, they wanted to drive the devs into bankruptcy by starving them of paying customers.
I've yet to see a game where a Private Server has legitly bankrupt the developers. And if it did, maybe it was the publishers faults in the first place for bad marketing. It's all about the players desires for what a game should be like. That's what Private Servers are normally made for. Are you going to say I'm horrible and am trying to ruin Nexon because I want Maplestory to be the way it use to be but with my own little touch?

I'm not trying to bash you in any way shape-or-form, and I'm not trying to start a huge argument. I'm just trying to let you know a little bit more about the world of Private Servers. Just because there are a few bad eggs out there doesn't mean the whole community is evil.

Anyway more on topic:
Really I just sort of wish SCORE could drop us a few notes here and there just to basically announce they're officially working on something. Though I'm sure there's more behind it, the secrecy is just a little irritating for me... Like, dang, I'd love to just sit there and read a huge list of patch notes if they released any.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 05:33:25 AM »
Okay I don't mean to start anything with this, but I must say you're giving Private Servers a little too much crap. I've run them before ...

Well, I'm going to be frank, you are pushing my buttons, especially since you're casting yourself as a stalwart proliferator of pirate servers for extant games. That is nothing to be proud of.

... and I know for sure that one major reason that CoH never got one is because there was little to nothing seriously wrong with the game. There was nothing wrong enough to make players go "man I wanna' make my own version of the game!"

Lest you forget, City of Heroes used to have a thriving PvP community. I'm not much one for PvP, but I did notice that Paragon/Cryptic did wind up alienating the lot of them with some developer decisions. In fact I recall that in the final days of CoH, some of them came back to troll the boards with some nastygrams for the devs.

As positive as I am about the overall CoH community, I haven't forgotten how we as a whole used to spend pages of threads debating about game mechanics we disliked. But to my knowledge, it remained debate, and no one tried serious attempts to undermine Paragon. Maybe part of that is because the people who had the resources and opportunity to undermine Paragon if they wanted were instead supportive of the devs.

I can't say much for WoW (If it has private servers) because I honestly only played a trial of it and didn't get a very good opinion on the game, but from what I DID gather it had slow leveling.

It does. That's another reason why I call City of Heroes the exception to the rule, because no viable server emulators were released in its day. In World of Warcraft's case, it's the 800 pound gorilla in the market. It's one of the few games that can shrug off the significant problem of pirate servers because it would actually cost more to pursue legal action than it would to take the loss.

But WoW is, again, the 800-pound gorilla. I wouldn't be surprised if someone did the numbers and found out their current subs is still a match for the legit playerbases of all other MMOs currently on the market, or close to it. Considering how many other MMOs tend to live short lives, I think it's worth considering that your actions might not be harmless.

I believe this also addresses your dismissal of financial damage caused to MMO developers by your bringing up Nexon and what not.

They key to this point is: Most (if not all) of the games with private servers available had some issues that players hated but Devs didn't care to fix / didn't feel the need to fix.

Remember what I said about "too many cooks spoil the broth?" This is exactly what I am talking about.

Point is: Private servers aren't necessarily bad. You're just looking at them in a bad light. You're making it sound like everyone who associates with them should be put on a blacklist and hunted down as monsters.

By eschewing a game that's legitimately on the market for a pirate server, you are doing a disservice to the game developers. There is no wiggle room for discussion on that point. People who regularly pay and play on the legitimate servers while using some private server for build testing or whatever, that's a gray area on my moral compass--but they are still supporting the devs, which is more than I can say for a lot of pirate serve players.

You literally have been saying they wish the death of game studios:I've yet to see a game where a Private Server has legitly bankrupt the developers.

So you say. But it would be intellectually dishonest not to even consider that piracy of an extant MMO has a significant effect on the developers' viability, no?

Remember what Greenheart Games did with Game Dev Tycoon? Not an MMO, sure, but the point they make has relevancy. Note that their experiment revealed that 94% of the people playing the game were pirating it, not buying it. And this is even taking to account the people who "try before they buy" through this method.

And if it did, maybe it was the publishers faults in the first place for bad marketing.

If you're saying this to completely dismiss the impact of pirate servers on a developers' survival, then that sounds like victim blaming to me.

It's all about the players desires for what a game should be like. That's what Private Servers are normally made for. Are you going to say I'm horrible and am trying to ruin Nexon because I want Maplestory to be the way it use to be but with my own little touch?

Your solution to "fixing" games isn't a solution at all, that's the problem. You're helping to spoil that broth. As they said once at Broken Toys, Fixing MMOs is Hard.

You claim that it's all about the player's desires. Broken Toys addresses that with his response under "Listen to, and engage with, players:"

"The players are often WRONG.

What’s more, they will lie to you.

DIRECTLY.

TO YOUR FACE.

No, really, their class is horribly underpowered, any fool would know that if they only played the game and that bug you’re talking about is really a feature and anyway you shouldn’t remove it because our entire side is underpopulated so it’s only fair.

The players are not the ones at financial risk if your game fails. They simply move on after consuming all you have to offer.

Of course the players are also often right. There’s a whole discipline of development which revolves around figuring out which is which. At least until they figure out they’re the least paid people at the company and move on to junior worldbuilder so they finally get some respect in the break room.

But engaging with players entails the willingness to do some very fundamental things which, to date, have been unpopular with both developers and players."

See that thing about financial risk? What do you think you're doing to the developer of your beloved game when you all scatter to ten thousand pirate servers because you want to play the game with one minor tweak or another?

There is a fine line when it comes to figuring out whether what the devs are planning or what the gamers want is good for the game as a whole.

Tangent here, but putting aside the whole issue of financial risk that pirating an extant MMO does to the developers, ditching the legit game for a pirate server just because you want to make a minor change is not nearly as justifiable as when it comes to the mod scene for single-player or limited multiplayer games. On that side of the pool, everyone's playng in small groups anyway, so companies can embrace modding and let players tinker to their hearts' desire. MMOs, however, by their nature feature some form of community and world persistence. So on top of the whole financial issue, this fragmentation also dilutes the whole community aspect of MMOs.

And I am saying this as a guy who does a lot of solo play in MMOs. Even as a lone wolf, I still connect with the game's greater community.

I'm not trying to bash you in any way shape-or-form, and I'm not trying to start a huge argument. I'm just trying to let you know a little bit more about the world of Private Servers. Just because there are a few bad eggs out there doesn't mean the whole community is evil.

Honestly, I think it's you who doesn't have the whole picture. I think now would be a good time to drop this link here:

http://adultimum.net/rw/extras.php?section=soapbox

That's an essay I wrote on the impact of pirate servers in 2004, when they exploded on the scene for the particular MMO I played. I think that's all the evidence you'll need. No, I didn't go far as to cite sources (and given the transient nature of the internet, especially forum posts and other evidence, citing sources is difficult anyway), but this essay was the product of talking with people who had insider knowledge of what was going on at Gravity, as well as close encounters of the pirate server kind.

You need to remember, I have a long history of dealing with pirate server types. My opinions weren't formed out of a vacuum.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:50:51 AM by Little David »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 06:51:22 AM »
piracy is piracy.

One may go 89 mph in a 45 mph, zone, just because one gets away with it doesn't make it legal.

But depends on how it goes about, especially with a game no longer functioning, and I remember those talks about private server way back around ED time period, and again around i13 time period. Each time, it was decided no, it wouldn't be right mostly and the EULA and etc stuff.

When a game that have the current game running go after private server they usually win, and the private server owner usually get stuck with a "damages" bill and EULA held up.

Defunct game, gray area, sometimes it goes either way and more about HOW it's done. Many mess up when they start charging, even through "donations" because the server is coming out of the private server owner pocket. Free ones, very gray, some get shut down some don't.

NCSOFT shut dome down, and some they didn't. The biggest mistake is to automatically assume that NCSOFT will definitely just turn a blind eye even if the code is released to the winds. Because one that could be taken asa sign of the party knew they were doing something illegal and the originator, and yes, everything can be tracked to the source, can and in some cases been held liable for the damages as new servers pop up and sometimes end up with a bigger bill then they would have ended up with if they ran a private server while the game was running.

Remember the easiest way to get away with a crime is to KNOW the law and what can happen. When someone try to steal say a pack of gum out of Walmart and go in assuming the guards are not going to do anything, it's only a pack of gum, that is when they end up in court, charged with shop lifting and a criminal record, over a pack of gum. When if they instead weighed the risks, knew where and what the guards do, get in and out, they might have gotten away. But even then just because they get away, doesn't make it legal.

But yeah there are some pretty messed up private servers out there and pretending they don't exist isn't doing any service either.In fact it could be used to know what to look for in a bootleg server and as a tool to help the person that is planning on running one or partake in one, measure the risks accurately.

It's good things are being kept under wraps overall but lets face it by now, anyone that care to look can see or seen or know there is one in the works, and may just be waiting for physical evidence before leaping. Eventually word will get out and since it's already been pre planned that it will be purposely spread out to the wind, that is evidence that it was premeditated. and not something that "just kind of happened by accident"

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 05:25:10 PM »
I'm all for supporting developers. Most private servers fail to live up to the official IMO, either through performance or due to unbalanced changes. They might be interesting to visit on a lark but most do not foster a true sense of loyalty... at least not from me. I've poked my head around private servers of various games out of curiosity but I've never stayed because they just didn't "feel" right.

With that said. City of Heroes is no longer being developed officially. It doesn't exist anymore. So in our case creating a private server for COH isn't robbing anyone of income of threatening the "future" of the game. I feel no ethical conflict with supporting the SCORE server when it finally appears. I paid for the game City of Heroes. I even bought the collector's edition after the fact so I bought it twice. I bought City of Villains. I bought costume packs. I spent hundreds in the store when Freedom launched and I paid years of monthly subscriptions. They made their money from me and damn it if I won't feel completely justified playing on whatever server the community manages to get running after they pulled the rug out from under a game that I loved.

I'll be grateful for whatever the community manages to conjure up for us. I just hope it won't be too long in the coming.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 06:15:34 PM »
With that said. City of Heroes is no longer being developed officially. It doesn't exist anymore. So in our case creating a private server for COH isn't robbing anyone of income of threatening the "future" of the game. I feel no ethical conflict with supporting the SCORE server when it finally appears.

I'd just like to stress that I feel exactly the same way. I don't want people thinking I'm against S.C.O.R.E because of my exchange with Gleech. My beef is, again, with the people who proliferate or play on pirate servers while the game is legitimately available. S.C.O.R.E and Infinite Rasa (which I mentioned earlier) are nothing like that.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 06:54:30 PM »
I'd just like to stress that I feel exactly the same way. I don't want people thinking I'm against S.C.O.R.E because of my exchange with Gleech. My beef is, again, with the people who proliferate or play on pirate servers while the game is legitimately available. S.C.O.R.E and Infinite Rasa (which I mentioned earlier) are nothing like that.

Oh I know that's what you meant. I apologize if it seemed I misunderstood! I guess I was trying to convey that I feel similarly to you but failed at doing so.

Gleech

• Minion
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2013, 10:59:09 PM »
*Too long to quote. Just using this as an addressing reference to avoid confusion*
Sorry I wasn't able to reply earlier today. I had to go to school.
Anyway:
Most private servers fail to live up to the official IMO, either through performance or due to unbalanced changes. They might be interesting to visit on a lark but most do not foster a true sense of loyalty... at least not from me. I've poked my head around private servers of various games out of curiosity but I've never stayed because they just didn't "feel" right.
This basically sums up anything I would've said.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2013, 01:25:14 AM »
I have a feeling that a small cadre of this website will know about this, and when it's "public" a C&D order will come rapidly.  By the time the majority of us know about it, it will already be over.  (Counting myself in the clueless masses here, I'm nobody special myself.)  And every discussion that happens about these projects (before any news actually happens) just makes this outcome more and more certain.  Unless, of course, such a thing ends up becoming invitation only.

Why?  Think about it: unless someone in Titan Network knows you, you're completely SOL because there's no way to sort out actual past players and "bad actors" seeking to get in to report it to NCSoft (who may have years of chat logs, user names and data to draw from): no one could possibly know everyone from the old forums and each individual server who was a "reputable" player who can vouch for others.  In fact, who's to say anyone knows this is actually me typing?  Except for "Forum celebs" and Freedom/Virtue personalities, I wouldn't count on being included personally.

But I know nothing.  I'm full of speculation. And I have no weight to speak or any stake in such a project, so I shouldn't be talking at all.

Why am I still writing?
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2013, 01:35:21 AM »
I'm certain what happened to Infinite Rasa didn't escape notice, Tahquitz. I can't speculate on their game plan if they're even pursuing S.C.O.R.E. still, but when it comes to emulators ... once a viable one is released, it's like letting a genie out of a bottle. Bad news for extant MMOs, but very good news for communities of dead ones like ours.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2013, 02:28:18 AM »
I have a feeling that a small cadre of this website will know about this, and when it's "public" a C&D order will come rapidly.  By the time the majority of us know about it, it will already be over.  (Counting myself in the clueless masses here, I'm nobody special myself.)  And every discussion that happens about these projects (before any news actually happens) just makes this outcome more and more certain.  Unless, of course, such a thing ends up becoming invitation only.

Why?  Think about it: unless someone in Titan Network knows you, you're completely SOL because there's no way to sort out actual past players and "bad actors" seeking to get in to report it to NCSoft (who may have years of chat logs, user names and data to draw from): no one could possibly know everyone from the old forums and each individual server who was a "reputable" player who can vouch for others.  In fact, who's to say anyone knows this is actually me typing?  Except for "Forum celebs" and Freedom/Virtue personalities, I wouldn't count on being included personally.

But I know nothing.  I'm full of speculation. And I have no weight to speak or any stake in such a project, so I shouldn't be talking at all.

Why am I still writing?

From my understanding, when it goes "public" there wont be any single person to send a C&D to :) NC Soft wont be able to stop it once its out in the wild. Cause no one person will have it. It'll just be everywhere then! I cant wait!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2013, 03:12:44 AM »
Perhaps I should change my handle on here.  How about "Doubt Boy"? :D

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2013, 03:15:52 AM »
From my understanding, when it goes "public" there wont be any single person to send a C&D to :) NC Soft wont be able to stop it once its out in the wild. Cause no one person will have it. It'll just be everywhere then! I cant wait!
Yes and no. There is still the person that sent it into the wild. And courts tend to frown upon that because then unlike if it was a single server, they just can "quit" and that be the end of it.
But then again if the initiator is incognito somehow, aka untraceable or at least very hard to trace, then it should go without a hitch.

What I'm getting at even when it's time, the person to release it to the wild cant go "here is the link I made, now spread it"  Because then it will be on record of who exactly and where it came from.
Then yeah, the rest of the servers may not be able to get shut down but that person or persons they catch can still be charged with copyright infringement and or contributory copyright infringement with the punishment of the tow being nearly the same.

Of course they wont go after every single private server any more than with the Napster case they didn't go after every single person who used Napster. I the end Napster paid dearly for them all in a way.  And did it stop music piracy? Heck no. But believe it or not, that isn't the point. It's a public execution in a sense of it's more about a show of force than actually solving the problem. The question is, is someone prepared to be the chicken that is sacrificed for the greater good?

As  Tahquitz said, no telling who is who and this private server thing been spread around even recall seeing it mentioned in the comment section of some Massively articles, that only thing secret to the people right now is who is working on it. Someone could be gathering and archiving every bit of information about this entire project as we speak, and turning it in. And in reality, it can go a long way with intent. Someone who didn't know, and copy a song here and there are usually let off with, a don't do it again. But when the intent is clear with the plan on taking something and trying to make sure they will never find out and spread it to the wild, then yeah better have a J. Cochran hanging about to explain that one wasn't with the intent to knowingly distribute copyrighted materials. 

Best thing yet, is simply don't get caught, either way, just in case until the gray is clear. I know some people cant wait until it's up and running so they can mail NCSOFT "Screw you ha I got a private server" letter, but that can be slam dunk ruinous. And when they get it up and running, they probably should play hot potatoe and get it out quickly and then lay low. And or use something that cant be traced. Yes public library computers can be traced. Many hackers and child porn people got caught not because of what was on their personal computer but what they did in public computers. This isn't the movies.

But I think they can pull it off if they are smart about it and restrain from trying to shove it in NCSOFT face when it do go live. If they are going to find out about it let them do the leg work and not do it for them by teasing them with it.  Because hey, if we leave them alone about it they may not bother, but if people started getting bold and everytime it turns around it's about how players are screwing NCSOFT because they have a private server or getting back at NCSOFT, then NCSOFT may have no choice but to do something or else it may send message that anyone can do it and NCSOFT wont do a single thing. Then word of C&D or worse gets out, then people see that, and NCSOFT count of people saying hey, NCSOFT shut down another private server. While some think it's more negative publicity, in a way it's a sign that NCSOFT don't play when it comes to that. Blizzard, yeah they seem spotty. sometimes they shut down a few others times they don't seem to bother.  I still cant help to think in did it ever cross anyone mind to simply ask NCSOFT? Never know what they may say. They may say yes. If they say no, then it was expected anyways and the route doesn't change.

But on the internet, there is no such thing as secret. Most countries even signed a anti-piracy agreement meaning that if one even say copy something from India and that Indian company make a fuss, the US will look into it. Those countries that havent signed are mostly countries where copyright would be least of the worries, like Iran, and other countries where if someone did a proxy origin name with those countries it would raise more serious flags than copyright. But even Proxies are not as secret as they used to be because the proxy server still have on their database the true origin. And a lot easier to obtain records than it used to be and what the proxy ads let on. Kind of side effect I chasing online criminals. And with IPs not wanting to be responsible for activites of the consumer usually turn over records or rid of the customer rather than get tangled in that sort of mess.

Who every release it into the wild, they have to be on their A game. Because if it spreads like intended then they could be pegged as beyond simple personal copyright to international big stakes copyright infringement person. And in the law it do states that the law applies regardless if money was made or not. This is all assuming if crap hits the fan or there is indeed something illegal going on. But if done properly then there should not be much worries.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2013, 03:18:00 AM »
Perhaps I should change my handle on here.  How about "Doubt Boy"? :D
You made some good points there.

The web ain't what it used to be where a person can pick a handle and there is no chance anyone else could link them to anything.

I want this thing to succeed. Well no I don't want it to succeed. I want it to succeed and stay succeeding. And not say "hey look, COX is back." then few months later, "hey look COX is gone again."

The enemy may or may not use guns but I'm still going to take mine anyways just in case. Ratehr have it and not fire a single shot because they indeed didn't not have guns  instead of banking on too much optimism thinking, "Well there is a chance they don't have guns. That means they WILL NOT have guns." and run in there unprepared and end up at the business end of a bunch of AKs because while usually they don't carry guns, that day they decided to test out their new shipment.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2013, 03:25:19 AM »
The web ain't what it used to be where a person can pick a handle and there is no chance anyone else could link them to anything.

I meant that in jest.  I don't give a rat's ass about my past. (And I doubt there's any Louis L'Amour fans among this group, unless someone lives close enough to Idyllwild, CA where the mountain actually resides.)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2013, 03:38:44 AM »
I meant that in jest.  I don't give a rat's ass about my past. (And I doubt there's any Louis L'Amour fans among this group, unless someone lives close enough to Idyllwild, CA where the mountain actually resides.)

I'm talking in general. Not your name change in particular.

My past, pfft, boring as crap, nothing to see there, plus I'm a man of habit and only travel to a few sites, post on even fewer and use nearly the same name or one other from years ago that I recently revived. Then again I always post assuming that it's there forever and can come up later at anytime with what ever I do online. But then again, I have to if I plan on moving up my career path because next step I will need a top secret clearance. And depending on the job, they sometimes go into depth (that is how I rediscovered my past online handle. I was like WTH? Oh yeah, I thanks for reminding me.)