Author Topic: Rumors about Korean gaming being banned?  (Read 4716 times)

Waffles

• Elite Boss
Rumors about Korean gaming being banned?
« on: November 29, 2013, 09:13:29 PM »
Right, So I heard something about a new female Korean president being elected, and she is pursuing the idea of banning gaming for them. Google is failing me right now, but could we perhaps use this to get CoH back in any conceivable way?

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
  • The one The only Alpha Protocol V2.9
Re: Rumors about Korean gaming being banned?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »
Probably not, dont know much about Korean Law but if NC arent willing to sell CoH now, then if this new president does get elected and the laws are passed to ban Korean gaming. Then CoH is likely to die with NC unless they sell at the last minute. Which in my opinion dont think will happen, after their unwillingness to sell it so far i doubt they would just before they company dies. However thats if it bans games companies, if it only bans people from playing games, then i guess they will carry on with their business plan. Ignore CoH players and forget that we are here
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:49:14 PM by alphajaybo »
Daoc CoH and WoW

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
Right, So I heard something about a new female Korean president being elected, and she is pursuing the idea of banning gaming for them. Google is failing me right now, but could we perhaps use this to get CoH back in any conceivable way?
Probably aint going to happen any more than each president of US saying something about banning all guns after every shooting or bringing the draft back in 2003, and etc. Gaming is a big industry in Korea and bring in a lot of money. Believe it or not, it's bigger in Asia in Korea and Japan than here, especially the online variety.

But if it gets a bit colder in the netherworld and a pork chop grows wings, then more than likely COX may go down with it. It wouldn't make anymore sense for them to sell it then more than it does now. If the company did go down due to that, although unlikely, hurt yes, but doubt out, but if they did sink, the relative pennies gained from the selling price of COX wouldn't help their case or change anything.

But really it look like more political talk. She isn't the first and probably wont be the last. They been talking about doing that since 2004 when I was actually in Korea.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 03:49:07 AM »
Last I heard the ruling party were trying to get internet and gaming addiction to be lumped in with gambling, alcohol and drugs.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20131113001080

The belief is all this internet gaming is ruining students by keeping them from doing well at the various high tech colleges which is what driving South Korea into the future.  Name another society that would have an hour long serious drama about the lives of students going to the equivalent of Caltech/Stanford/MIT.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »
Gaming for Korea's tax revenues is big.  about all that will happen is getting internet addiction lumped in with things like alcohol addiction.  Maybe a tiny smidgen of money will go into curing the addiction.  Other than that, I don't expect anything from a mad leader with an agenda.  Mad leaders with agendas are usually victim of their own successes.  aka:  they get thrown out of office for passing laws that make enough of the majority mad enough to vote for the mad leader's opposition.

As for CoX being sold off, only if their gov't managed to ban the internet then NCSoft would likely sell off all assets to make the owners rich(er).  CoX would be one of those assets.  I think you'd have a better chance winning a major lottery than seeing NCSoft liquidate their assets.

No Surrender!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 07:00:54 PM »
Gaming for Korea's tax revenues is big.  about all that will happen is getting internet addiction lumped in with things like alcohol addiction.  Maybe a tiny smidgen of money will go into curing the addiction.  Other than that, I don't expect anything from a mad leader with an agenda.  Mad leaders with agendas are usually victim of their own successes.  aka:  they get thrown out of office for passing laws that make enough of the majority mad enough to vote for the mad leader's opposition.

As for CoX being sold off, only if their gov't managed to ban the internet then NCSoft would likely sell off all assets to make the owners rich(er).  CoX would be one of those assets.  I think you'd have a better chance winning a major lottery than seeing NCSoft liquidate their assets.
Winning a major lottery 5 times a in a row.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 08:57:01 PM »
Winning a major lottery 5 times a in a row.
Once without buying a ticket.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 06:51:13 AM »
Once without buying a ticket.
One of my friends once won $1000 without buying a ticket. He found it laying on the counter at the grocer's, no one came to claim it so they called him back and gave it to him! Kinda awesome.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TriNitroToluene

• Minion
  • Triumph Server....the few, the proud, the pantless
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
I knew a convenience store employee that won $100,000 once.  A customer bought a ticket but selected the wrong numbers, so the cashier bought it from him and sold one with the correct ones.  The winning ticket was, of course, the discarded one. 

I think that may be the definition of "Dumb Luck"

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »
Probably not, dont know much about Korean Law but if NC arent willing to sell CoH now, then if this new president does get elected and the laws are passed to ban Korean gaming. Then CoH is likely to die with NC unless they sell at the last minute. Which in my opinion dont think will happen, after their unwillingness to sell it so far i doubt they would just before they company dies. However thats if it bans games companies, if it only bans people from playing games, then i guess they will carry on with their business plan. Ignore CoH players and forget that we are here

If NCSoft were to "die," what happens to its corpse (part of which is CoH) is, frankly, no longer NCSoft's to decide.  It'll be handled by whatever undertakers the courts and the creditors decide, and it'll be sold to the highest bidder.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that our best bet to see CoH sold off is an NCSoft bankruptcy.  After all, isn't that why we watch the NCSoft stocks?  Because at that point, the point of bankruptcy, NCSoft no longer has the power to decide what assets are theirs to keep, and what assets are up for sale.  The bankruptcy attorney will decide, and his or her only interest, at that point, is to pay off NCSoft's debt obligations in the most complete fashion possible.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 12:07:21 AM »
If NCSoft were to "die," what happens to its corpse (part of which is CoH) is, frankly, no longer NCSoft's to decide.  It'll be handled by whatever undertakers the courts and the creditors decide, and it'll be sold to the highest bidder.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that our best bet to see CoH sold off is an NCSoft bankruptcy.  After all, isn't that why we watch the NCSoft stocks?  Because at that point, the point of bankruptcy, NCSoft no longer has the power to decide what assets are theirs to keep, and what assets are up for sale.  The bankruptcy attorney will decide, and his or her only interest, at that point, is to pay off NCSoft's debt obligations in the most complete fashion possible.

Well remember corporations don't die the same as people. Their stuff usually don't really become free for the taken (after their creditors are paid) and unlike most US companies, they have very few debts and more than enough cash even if they sliced their cash by 90% they would still have more than enough to pay off their debts.

Even when dead, the corporation, assuming it have not been sold, still hold to their copyright and IP rights. Trademarks, a little different. Like recently Delorean haven't made a car in ages, and in fact it went bankrupt long time ago, but still they hold rights to the Delorean name and logo and someone literally had to buy the company before they started plans on trying to revive the company. A company that been dead for decades and wasn't all that huge and had a big scandal though. Still someone just couldn't decide they wanted to build Deloreans and since Delorean was dead, they could do it for free and make killer money off of it. 

If they sold COX, then of  course it's out of NCSOFT hands, and into the hands of whoever bought it and what they are going to do with it, i.e turn it into a twitch grind game for major bucks while using the popularity of COX to drive the profits. "Yeah win win." But if NCSOFT don't sell, then it still legally remain theirs. Ort more than likely, they probably just sell it to a pet friend or sell it to Mr. Kim as part of his parachute package if the ship was really really sinking fast. I think NCSOFT have a bit more friends in the stock holder world in Korea and in the business world in KOrea than a few angry players in the US. I doubt they will all a sudden go and give a bone to the people that cuirsed them the day they shut down the game, and say "here for the good of the people, here is COX." they might sell it to to a game maker that they know good and well will butcher COX ad turn it into a fantasy clone grind game for the good and sake of Korean game play style.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 01:48:43 PM »
I put about as much stock in South Korea outlawing gaming as I do in North Korea's propaganda about the Kim Jong family's divine powers. Not only is there too much money in it, but you'd have an enormous black market spring up overnight and you'd also have that entire "up and coming" segment of the population that is supposedly destroying itself on games turn out in force to vote whoever did it out of office next cycle.

Moreover, the game companies, like NCSoft? Would just focus outwards once more. China remains a lucrative market, for instance. They wouldn't disappear. But they might move to Hong Kong for tax purposes.