Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 2090 times)

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
A few questions
« on: December 01, 2013, 04:46:58 AM »
I am thinking of picking this game up and I have a question about the free form styles, if you make a character using both dex and intelligence will you end up underpowered? or do you get enough of the stats to make up for the fact I am splitting between them?

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 05:25:54 AM »
With high DEX, you will have a bonus to critical hits, and enemy NPCs will have difficulty seeing you. With high INT, you will have faster power recharge, they will cost less energy, and you will start to see people through stealth.

All superstats are designed to be valuable and viable. Let us know what you're thinking of doing, or discuss it at the CO forums in Combat and Powers for ideas.
Spess

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 06:08:46 AM »
Oh I just want to get free form and Mix some one handed blade stuff with some darkness/ebon sorcery powers.

Edit : If I can ever get logged in, I forgot my cryptic password to link with my perfect world account..and the cryptic password reset takes me to the PW support homepage.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:40:52 AM »
Contact PW customer support for that. They will straighten out the password and help you link.
Spess

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
yeah I have..I just hope they get back to me before the sale runs out, that 25 dollar for free form sale is the only thing that is really drawing me into the game.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 03:22:59 PM »
With average gear at level 40 you have ~ 700 points to play with for super stats.

If you dump 200 - 250 points in Dex & Int you'll be getting ~ max benefit and still have 200-300 points to play with at lvl 40.

Also, if you pick Int as your primary SS there are options to boost your Secondary SS's by 20%, and, stats that aren't SS's by 30%.

So, for example, if you do not choose Con as one of your superstats but still dump 100 points into it - you will get 130 points worth of benefit. This gives you 450 extra hps (1,950 hps total) and you still have 100 - 200 points for a secondary SS such as Ego or Str, and, that 100-200 points will act as 120-240 points due to the Intelligence tree bonus.

And, don't forget, this will add a 20% bonus to your Dex SS if you pick Int as your primary SS and take 'Expertise' from the Int tree too. This means more crits. However... If you pick Dex as your primary SS you'll get a 10% boost to crit severity which is kinda hard to come by. Both dex & int are usually good SS trees for how I play.

Short version:
You generally get ~ 700 SS points to play with @ lvl 40. Any points above ~250 for most SS's won't do much due to diminishing returns. Con is an exception to this rule, as is Str in regards to the KB resist benefit it provides.

Some other stuff that might be helpful..

I should probly mention that the Int tree stat bonuses do not boost bonuses stats get because they are SS's - the int tree bonuses only apply to the innate bonuses from stats. Like hps from Con, or crit chance from Dex, or KB resist & melee damage from Str. Not a big deal imo but worth mentioning.

It should also be noted that the more points you take away from SS's (like the 100 Con example above), the more you take away from bonuses that you get due to having high SS's or secondary SS's. For example, at least a portion of Slotted Passives scale off of how much you've invested into SS's.

It's also worth mentioning that you can't really go too wrong due to you can completely re-roll as long as you have the G's. And, you can use the Training Room in the Powerhouse to test out new builds. You can buy retcons too if you're rich.

Molecular Self Assembly or Overdrive may be worth looking at for an Int primary.

If you are a ranged toon and don't choose Ego then Int will boost Concentration based on your Int which is maybe worth mentioning, so there ya go.  You'll miss out on the innate ranged damage bonus that Ego gives tho ofc. I dunno what that bonus equates to in earth math terms and wouldn't mind knowing if someone else does.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:42:09 PM »
If you're going to boost Melee damage instead of Ranged Damage with your Toggle power then Form of The Tempest (instead of Concentration from above) is a good thing to check out for a high dex toon.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 04:10:10 PM »
Here's some links ppl here shared that I always use for new builds. Yeah I made them the lazy way.

Mids Lite -             http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html (Use with the Wiki and these links for best results)
Spec Tree Stats     http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=145568
Spec Tree Opinion http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=145720
Other's Builds        http://champions-online.proboards.com/thread/564
Buffage/Debuffage http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=136746
Some Faves:

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 08:54:09 AM »
hmm okay, how important are the rank up advantages? is it usually better to add in the utility extras of a power or go deep into damage?

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 02:44:15 PM »
The answer won't be the same for every power and everyone using a power in question may see things differently based on how they play/what they want.

I have to give up my pc for a few days pretty soon so to save time I'm gonna point you to the wiki and ask you to check the powers out there for The Inferno for some examples because it has some good ones.

Pyre: It's a pretty decent aoe that does nice pbaoe burst damage when charged. The only thing I ranked on it was the KB advantage.

Because I would rather use..

Conflagration: For aoe damage, and even for st damage, this is nice. Hey, it has an Advantage to remove Travel powers. No way. I want moar damage on my main damage power. Some ppl really dislike it when mobs are more mobile than they are and maybe they have this power on a Tank and aren't as worried about dps. They may want the advantage, I wasn't even tempted.

Heat wave: My version of CC with my FF version of Senge (my Inferno) is called 'make the mobs kiss the pavement' He uses this power for it's advantage only. The fire damage resist debuff. My AT version doesn't use it at all due to he'd rather have Fire Snake.

Fire Snake: This is a trickier one. If you take the advantage then you have a fire snake that can keep up with you and your team as they run around wherever. If you don't take the advantage you get more dps, but, if he is lagging behind you then he drops dps every time he has to catch up with you. If you don't play on-the-run style then this doesn't matter. I'm on the fence on this one most times when playing with a new build but am opting for the Trailblazer advantage lately because with Trailblazer he is always right there and I can also sick him on stuff like a lil fiery rocket.

Fireball: I just want Unstable Accelerant plz.

Flashfire: I just want Moar Dps pls. (rank 3)

And then there are things like Immolation. For 1 measly point you can add Blazing Body for more dps but if points are tight you may rather rank up your main travel power if it's still at rank 1.

So. Yeah. It depends on the power, what you want to do with it, how you play/plan to play, and how many points you have to play with. At the least.

One thing I do when I'm in question whether to take an advantage or not is #1 google it. If people are outright saying how good or not good an advantage is, that helps me decide. There is that buff/debuff link from earlier, too. For example you can use it to look up Unstable Accelerant and have more info for making your decision on whether to try it or not. There is always the Powerhouse, too. Rank up in there and then try things out in the Training Room to see what you think. The Powerhouse webpage (linked earlier) is a good place to see how many points you have to play with and where you can put them.

Toonbuilding is one of CO's strongest points imho. GL! Have fun. Don't forget to shave. It can be an involved process.. : )

cyas soonish

Some Faves:

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »
hmm okay, how important are the rank up advantages? is it usually better to add in the utility extras of a power or go deep into damage?

Depends on the ability.

For instance, if I wanted Below the Belt from Demolish, the damage of the power would be less important, but the utility I gained would make other powers that deal crushing damage more powerful, including the rest of my might attacks.

If I ranked the power up to 3, it would be viable as my single target attack. You usually do not want to get more than one single target attack, aoe, and crowd control ability, unless you want to do something more advanced.
Spess

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 11:12:56 PM »
So after waiting three days for Perfect World to get back to me, I can now say I am completely locked out of my account.

To Explain, I signed up for a Champions Online account back when it was cryptic published, played for a bit then stopped, so I did not have a perfect world account, I saw the freeform half off..figured why not..so I tried to sign into perfect world with my CO account..which said I had to sign up for a perfect world one..which I did then I tried to link accounts with my old Cryptic one..which I could not do cause I haven't gone there in a while so I do not remember which password i was using.

I go to the customer support..they have a cryptic account reset form, I do it and they send me a link, a link that sends me https://support.perfectworld.com/ there...which is not the password reset for cryptic at all.

So I contact customer support..and what do they tell me? To use the system..I contacted them about being BROKEN AND NOT WORKING

*slams head on desk*

Edit  : And to top it off..While looking for a phone number to call..to get this fixed properly...I found a link..to the old...Cryptic customer support site that works.

*double head desks*
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:18:21 PM by ryuplaneswalker »

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 09:58:19 PM »
If you are coming to CO for any reason, that reason should NOT be their customer support.  I still play, but only after writing off all hope of real assistance from their side, and only until one of the CoX successors gives me an alternative path.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 11:06:48 PM »
Yeah, it was kinda like that back in the day when CoH was with cryptic too.

after all that work I was damned if I was going to go without playing the game so I bit the bullet and bought a 50 dollar free form slot (there goes my latte every morning for the month)

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 08:51:19 PM »
Sweet you got a FF slot.

Besides CO customer support being (the same people as?) similar to CoH support that last year or so at least, PWE has random server problems too. I've had repeated probs with CO (one-time thing but it was daily and lasted for weeks), the Forums (random), and logging into Fortuna (random).

Hope things work out for ya. I'm looking forward to some quality play time...sometime soon.

Some Faves: