Author Topic: I am beginning to be somewhat impressed. Just a bit. Maybe.  (Read 4050 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
I am beginning to be somewhat impressed. Just a bit. Maybe.
« on: December 14, 2013, 12:59:33 AM »
Okay - seen a few good QOL upgrades from the Champions team recently and ALL OF A SUDDEN!!! COSTUMES!!! THAT I CAN BUY!!! NOT IN A LOCKBOX!!!! And auras! And being able to log back to character select instead of typing in my password again!

I just miiiiiiiiight allow myself just the tiniest bit of optimism. Still think the game's MOSTLY in maintenance mode. But the Cryptic North guys are TRYING. They really are trying.

That counts for a lot in my eyes.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: I am beginning to be somewhat impressed. Just a bit. Maybe.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 01:15:46 AM »
Okay - seen a few good QOL upgrades from the Champions team recently and ALL OF A SUDDEN!!! COSTUMES!!! THAT I CAN BUY!!! NOT IN A LOCKBOX!!!! And auras! And being able to log back to character select instead of typing in my password again!

I just miiiiiiiiight allow myself just the tiniest bit of optimism. Still think the game's MOSTLY in maintenance mode. But the Cryptic North guys are TRYING. They really are trying.

Yeah. I do feel like Cryptic North is doing the best job they can with the resources they've been given.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 01:33:59 AM »

They are trying to make it work it seems.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 02:41:19 AM »
Tonight's costume pieces are Victorian Era stuff. Not bad at all.  :)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 03:40:05 AM »
CO ftw.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 03:54:01 AM »
And being able to log back to character select instead of typing in my password again!

Has this change been released to the live server yet? If yes, I haven't figured out how to access it. Or is it still only on the test server?

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 04:25:21 AM »
In that lil blue menu where there's the choice to Log off there is now also a choice to Change Character.

So now, instead of logging off and then back on with someone else you can just hit Change Character.

Handy way to save bandwidth without logging out, too, when going extended afk. I know no one on the planet but me cares about this but there it is.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
In that lil blue menu where there's the choice to Log off there is now also a choice to Change Character.

I have not found it. When I log out, I click on the C button (labeled "Menu") in the Map window, which opens a blue horizontal rectangular window with 20 clickable options arranged in four columns headed by: Overview   Missions   Item Fusion   Rearrange. At the bottom right is the option to Log Out. I do not see a new option for Change Character.

What am I missing?

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 02:49:20 PM »
I have not found it. When I log out, I click on the C button (labeled "Menu") in the Map window, which opens a blue horizontal rectangular window with 20 clickable options arranged in four columns headed by: Overview   Missions   Item Fusion   Rearrange. At the bottom right is the option to Log Out. I do not see a new option for Change Character.

What am I missing?
If you hit esc to get to the menu, there is a button to change character there.  But oddly the menu you are talking about is lacking that option.
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 02:59:56 PM »
Ha! That's kinda funny they didn't add the option to the C-menu.

Being hardwired with esc/ctrl-esc/ctr-alt-del, I'd never tried to log off of CO any other way than hitting Esc.

If you hit Esc, a lil blue Main Menu will pop up and you can Change Character from there.

On the subject of being impressed. I was already impressed. They haven't done anything to change the game itself besides nerf my guys and lower the value of Q. I think I understand the point that Atlantea is happy that CO is getting some luv - juust saying.

With the exception of the nerfs it's still the exact same game. Plays the same way. Auras are on the edge of being game changing. If you didn't like the game before you probly still won't. If you did, you probly will like it more after getting over the nerfage.

Some Faves:

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 09:43:45 PM »
If you hit esc to get to the menu, there is a button to change character there.

Ah, thanks. I didn't know how to access that menu.

Yep, Change Character is really handy. I'm up to 14 characters, so this new feature makes life easier, particularly when I want to grab the daily alert for each toon.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 03:40:43 PM »
What would seriously impress me would be if PWE could sort out their network problems.

I'm finally venturing out of the PowerHouse since weeks with a new build and here comes the rubberbanding and disconnects again. I've joined exactly two Alerts, the Winter one and a Gravi and got punted out of both.

This went on for weeks last time. I'm doing traceroutes and they are just like last time - timing out on the last hops @ PWE.

It's not just in CO, I have problems playing their browser game Fortuna, sometimes. And even the CO forums are hard to access sometimes. When I googled my probs with CO the first time I had them I ran across all kinds of similar reports with STO too.

There is nothing that will make a player go from happy to not, faster, than not being able to play. This started up again with me yesterday & I have no idea when it will stop again.

>>

Now when I try to log in any of my guys I get "Couldn't get names from map manager"

yay

>>

I'm on a roll. The login server is down  : /

>>

"Champions online is currently not available. We are working to resolve the issue as soon as possible"

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:05:18 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »
What would seriously impress me would be if PWE could sort out their network problems.

I'm finally venturing out of the PowerHouse since weeks with a new build and here comes the rubberbanding and disconnects again. I've joined exactly two Alerts, the Winter one and a Gravi and got punted out of both.

This went on for weeks last time. I'm doing traceroutes and they are just like last time - timing out on the last hops @ PWE.

It's not just in CO, I have problems playing their browser game Fortuna, sometimes. And even the CO forums are hard to access sometimes. When I googled my probs with CO the first time I had them I ran across all kinds of similar reports with STO too.

There is nothing that will make a player go from happy to not, faster, than not being able to play. This started up again with me yesterday & I have no idea when it will stop again.

>>

Now when I try to log in any of my guys I get "Couldn't get names from map manager"

yay

>>

I'm on a roll. The login server is down  : /

>>

"Champions online is currently not available. We are working to resolve the issue as soon as possible"

yeah had that problem not too long ago. Took them forever to get to the root of it. The first week was spent on them trying to pin it on my side even after I did the route trace and even told them which hop it is getting stuck at so they didn't have to search and even sent it to them showing the hop is well into their territory. Even had to put my IP on three way so they can explain it's not on my end. Only then did they finally own up to the hop,  and say yeah they been having problems with hops in that area" and rerouted around the bad hop. A solution that could have been done and solve the problem within a couple of days instead of weeks of trying to pin it on the customer. I don't get it. if it's about saving time, they could have if they didn't waste time on trying to pin it on the customer and in many cases just shut the F*** up and listened for once. Or they could save time and realize the standard reset stuff is not working and time to try something else instead of simply trying again and again and blaming the customer for it not working even after they said, it's not working, maybe try something else, like a route trace?" And would save time if not assuming there is no way possible the problem exist, well it does if it's existing and the customer is saying that is the problem they are having. Part of my job is customer servive with various people and problems so I know. I'm not sure what other companies' policy is or are, maybe it is "run the customer in circles wasting time, because hey the customer's time is not valuable, until they are about to snap and all of a sudden "behold, here is the solution". But in my work, the customer time is valuable, solve the problem in the efficient quick manner, time is not to waste for us nor the customer, listen to the customer, and never off the bat blame the customer even if it may or look likely it is their fault. Never blame the customer. Solve the problem. So yeah I know what it's like to work with customers, sometimes with stuff greater on the line than computer problems which baffles me at how many customer service reps work, especially in the computer industry. They seem to think every customer is dumb and have IQ of a ferret on meth and I not worth listening too as the problem is always always on the customer side and never in since the creation of this earth is the problem on one of their hops.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »
There seems to be a ton of packet loss between Cogent and TWC datacenters. :/ It was like this since September.
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 09:11:03 PM »
Customer support for CoH was incredibly bad that last year or so too. Didn't try them often. When I did it was as a last resort and never had one issue resolved. So when I started running into stuff like Jag is saying in CO I just didn't even go there. I learned about tracreroute and how to read it and then got lucky & shortly after things cleared up. Right after that emote spam crashing MC patch came out.

I'm glad that we can log in again. My connection seems decent for the first time since Friday & am crossing fingers. Have some playtime saved up and am itching to use it!

<3 CO, and tis the season to not be Scroogy. Man, it's just like one mini disaster after another over here since winter and then when this happened I was like ... ugh.. no.. more.. make it stop...

Atlantea, glad they are making ya happy. I'm not so upset about the nerfs - although I would prefer they stop or at least balance what they are doing with something on the make you more powerful side. And the Q thing I can live with too as long as it doesn't go way out into outer space. Especially since I just got a new FF slot months earlier than I'd planned...

Is there a way to preview these new Auras? I finally stepped out into the light from the PH and found a vendor that has freebie auras, for example, but it's like.. without youtubing or whatever, I dunno what half of them look like.

Some Faves:

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 09:22:44 PM »
The NPC will cycle through them in the order of appearance on the list.
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »
Nice! Didn't even notice, obviously. Thx. /cheer
Some Faves:

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 06:24:01 AM »
Nice! Didn't even notice, obviously. Thx. /cheer

Yeah, took me a bit to notice that one as well. Should've been mentioned in the patch notes or something.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
I like the outfit the aura vendors wear. Is that available in the costume creator?

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »
The aura vendor thing works but too bad there isn't a way to try them at the tailors, on my own toon, at my own leisure vs. figuring out which aura is which and then waiting for the one I am interested in to show up again so I can check it out for a couple of seconds (on a toon with a different color scheme/look than me) before it gets tossed to the back of the rotation. If they were in the tailor I could play with the colors too. Especially good for new players who are totally unfamiliar with auras too I would think.

Hey, this is my first winter event! I'm liking it now that I'm finally out of the PH and checking it out. That snowstorm aura is a lil bit annoying. Why not make the whole place snow? I haven't sent my pointer to investigate yet and am curious what goodies if any (like Blood Mooooon had) I may be missing..

On the subject of being impressed with CO. Am continually impressed with the Character Creator. The costume/body options, power choices, good good stuff. Could only dream about stuff like this when comics were only on paper.

My new support guy actually has measurable/useful dps! And even while in Aura of Radiant Glory (defense) mode instead of Aura of Ebon Destruction mode. He'll never make it to the top of any dps list but I was/am still shocked his dps is even useful seeing as how I built for 99% support and only ended up with dps due to it was the best support tool left after my other power choices. Circle of Primal Dominion turned out to be a nice choice for him too. I thought I'd be running him around too much for that tiny circle to be useful but it has had it's uses.

At first I was kinda turned off by the naming in CO. With the @accountname thing. Seemed kinda impersonal. But now I appreciate it. I think (unlimited?) name changes would probly be impossible without it and 350 Zen is decent for that service. Plus, I always know that anyone who cares will know who I am no matter who I'm playing (like when they see me in chat or whatever) without having to be on my Friend's list. All good.

Some people like me just agonize over a look and/or name (whether we're good at it or not..). CO takes a lot of that pressure off and gives back the benefit of not becoming anonymous when playing a new toon plus the option of having ~ the hugest choice of character names and looks. 

Stuff like this is what impresses me about the game. I'm glad they're doing stuff to polish it too. The On Alert thing is good. Change Character is good. Auras are good. New powers are always good.

The dodge/crit/device thing was a tough pill to swallow even though I get it. If they continue on with recharge rates/cost discount/whatever the other thing is I can't remember, then, I just hope they counterbalance this time. Give us something back instead of leaving a hole. The Dex tree took a decent hit with nothing in return and what counterbalances the near worthless gear that got leftover from the nerf? A new toy, or something, after gimping existing toys (devices) would have been nice too. Probly no one wants to log in and be Less super with nothing in return : /. Multiple times. In a relatively short period.

Some Faves: