Author Topic: 100 Gravis later  (Read 1429 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
100 Gravis later
« on: January 02, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »
This is still a fun fight and I look forward to running it more.

My only real complaint to this point are the yellow bubbles.. I can be at full hps & bubbled and standing on the edge of one of her yellow domes of doom with Athletics R3 w/Versatility & take off running as soon as one pops, make it all the way to the edge of the field with my nose against the barrier, and still faceplant even though I got hit with nothing else. This has happened a lot of times. Maybe even 50% of the time that I've been anywhere inside of one when it pops.

I don't mind a lil cheating when it's 10 vs. 1 and a lot of times the 10 have fought the fight enough times to know how it works by now. I can even put a few of these off on server lag even though I wasn't lagging at any time. Still tho, it kinda sucks that this happens so often.

Other than that, this fight still manages to be entertaining and I'm not even going for the Q .. but I'll take it of course thx.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: 100 Gravis later
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »
Only way to survive the gold bubble of death is to block with a rank 3 shield and have not only lightning reflexes but also have masterful dodge active.  Even then you need extra resistance to mitigate the blast down and you need to not be at the center, and need constitution.  Honestly hate the gold bubbles myself, I feel it kind of adds fake difficulty with the occasional lag affecting someones reaction to such a mechanic.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »
What gets me is that it's not consistent. I'm not trying to survive the domes I'm trying to run out from under them in time.

A lot of times when yellowdome pops I'm right there at the edge of it and start running in the opposite direction. Sometimes I get damage, sometimes not. It's either all or nothing. I'm untouched or ~ 100% dmg resistance and 8.5k+ hps and >9k of shields go poof and I faceplant. I've tried running while blocking a bunch of times when I was just at the edge of Doomdome and get exactly the same results - sometimes I'm fast/lucky enough, sometimes not.

It feels like server lag. Like sometimes it sees I ran fast enough, sometimes not. But, it really happens a lot (happened directly after the OP..) and I've yet to have a visually laggy Gravi. Hopefully I'm missing something. Maybe she just cheats.

Otherwise I don't have a problem with the idea of them - if the idea is that there is a possibility to run away from them in time if your build isn't all about damage mitigation. There are some good players that log in to that queue to gang up on her 10 vs. 1 and she's all by her lonesome. She needs some heavy firepower and I say more power to'er. If they're just a random AoE Deathtouch that populates as she's about to go down, then yeah, that's kinda disappointing in an otherwise fairly spectacular fight.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:39:48 PM »
All Cryptic's games have lag issues, though. Nine times out of ten when I was playing Neverwinter I'd clearly be out of an attack's range when it went off and then get hit by it anyway. Even normal blocking in CO only works for me half the time. The other half I see the block clearly activate and then take full damage and/or get mezzed anyway.

As far as I can tell, it's because the server isn't trusting where the client says it is. In most games, the client gives a position and the server accepts it as long as it isn't too wildly different from where the server thought you were. In CO/STO/Neverwinter, though, the client goes 'I'm right here', and the server goes 'Haha, no you're not.' Which is infuriating at times.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »
You can't play online for too many years before becoming familiar with server lag. In EQ, one of my favorite tricks was to stop and pivot before casting if I was running after/from a mob. Worked every single time. Otherwise, often the server thought I was still running when I cast and so it would say my spell was interrupted.

Server lag would definitely cause what I'm seeing. If it is lag, I'd look at PWE first due to I have a history of unusually bad access with anything of theirs - the forums, CO, their browser game Fortuna. Whenever I have serious general lag problems in CO it's always due to bad server hops at PWE.

If things are working as intended aren't I supposed to be able to have time to run away from Doomdome before it goes off and Deathtouches all non-tank-tank builds? Just making sure I even understand how they work.. 

Some Faves:

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »
That's the thing. Things ARE working as intended, Cryptic just hasn't accounted for lag when deciding how long you should have to get out of the way. Which makes it nearly impossible to do and makes the Gravitar fight way harder than it should be.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 01:35:43 AM »
Am I even supposed to be able to run out from under those yellow bubbles and not get damage? How long am I supposed to have?
Some Faves:

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 04:43:51 AM »
One would assume you are, since a mechanic that just randomly instagibs people with no chance to dodge, avoid or otherwise mitigate it is colossally bad game design...

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 03:04:27 PM »
Yeah.. I dunno how they are supposed to work either.

That's the thing. Things ARE working as intended, Cryptic just hasn't accounted for lag when deciding how long you should have to get out of the way. Which makes it nearly impossible to do and makes the Gravitar fight way harder than it should be.

Lag gives me extra seconds on the blue domes. The trick is, keep holding block after the dome de-pops until the damage hits you. Don't even bother running. Lag actually works in your favor in this case if you're paying attention.

The only particularly 'hard' part of the fight, now, is the random AoE Deathtouch. Even with it I'm batting ~ a 95% success rate. It's still a stay-on-my-toes fun fight, but yeah, I'm usually in winning teams.

All the Gravi guides I've waded through so far concentrate on everything but Yellowdoomdome. I'm not even sure how it's supposed to work exactly or what strategy non-tanking people normally use against them.
Some Faves: