Author Topic: New Tear R.I.P. CoH/CoV  (Read 11884 times)

Devil_Boy

• Underling
New Tear R.I.P. CoH/CoV
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:56:57 PM »
I recently just went to the site where I spent many hours of my day and many days of the week on.. and all that was there were some FAQ's for a game that ended. I miss it, I truly felt a tear come when I thought about all time and friends made. LEGACY friends of course Champion server for life! I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse but I wish I could play that's all. Love to find out if anyone knows of a game similar or if CoH is returning. I'd be willing to play on a private even if it meant starting over. Email me or message me if anyone knows a good game to play. Miss you my old friend .. Paragon City that is!

~Jake~ (aka Devil Boy)

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
Re: New Tear R.I.P. CoH/CoV
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »
We all miss CoH and right now I haven't been able to find a "good" replacement but DC Universe Online hasn't been that bad. Since I started playing it about a month ago.

There's Icon, you can't do actual combat but you can create characters and move around the map. With some map commands you can place some objects in the map as well.

Until one of the 3 other projects come out (City of Titans, Villiance, Hereos and Villians). Finding a decent alternative and Icon are all we have.

Devil_Boy

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 11:24:20 PM »
Thanks Drauger9 .. I played DCU Online, for a brief time it sufficed but the 20 levels didnt seem like it was enough and its truly nothing compared to CoX. Maybe just my high expectations. I've played WoW (up to 80) Diablo 3 (beat the game on almost all difficulties) DCU Online, Lord of the Rings Online even, not to mention a list of FPS games. All can't keep me on for amount of time CoX did, or even satisfy me. I'm not trying to anger anyone by repetitive comments, just willing to lend a hand even as little as it may be in the community and show my support to a great game!

Devil_Boy

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 11:45:40 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYBzs5P3eBs ... great vid for those who haven't seen it, it's really long but in the beginning there's a story about a father and son an how they connected on CoH .. watch it really hits to home with me and my father!

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:52:13 PM »
I'm the same way, I've been a gaming nomad since CoH closed LOL! But atleast I get to experience a lot of different games.

I'm the type that likes to farm, so I also go back to old game I've played (WOW, Diablo 3 Runes of Magic, ect...) with high level characters and farm with them when I get extremely bored.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:18:58 AM »
That is one thing I have to admit.  With CoH gone, I have tried many games (SWTOR, GW2, WoW, CO, STO, Everquest, Aion, GW and some other ones).  None of them are CoH but I have learned a lot about how to play a MMO better.  So when we get our game back (either CoH or one of the others in development), I have better knowledge how to play.  So far, GW2 is my go-to game for now.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 12:26:43 AM »
Agreed, I have learned a lot about how to play better while playing CoH and after. Soon when we do get it back or one of the other projects. I should be way better at it than I was before.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 12:57:58 AM »
A reminder, a ghost of the site, functional in most respects, still exists

http://www.cityofheroes.ca
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 02:52:17 AM »
Now that will put a tear to your eye
No Surrender!

Devil_Boy

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 03:43:48 AM »
so depressed ... just learned .. when they had that AMAZING comic book it was at one point the NUMBER 1 printed comic book .. **MIND BLOWN**

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:49:06 AM »
The website remake is GREAT!  Awesome work.  Will have to sign up for those forums.

Otherwise, speaking of the comic book, I'm glad I downloaded the entirety of it before they closed everything down.  Those are great reads.

Devil_Boy

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »
Woodsman was my favorite loved reading the issues with him in it

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 11:31:34 PM »

Thank you, that just made my day! =')
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Devil_Boy

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 08:45:48 PM »

yes thank you! Eoraptor

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 05:25:56 PM »
So I just glanced at the .ca site again, and I saw they have a link to a recreation of an old CoV flash site. It's pretty cool, but how did I never see it? I don't remember ever seeing that site in my life!
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 06:21:49 PM »
FYI, you can get to the Game Info > History section from any other page except the front page of the site. The section is there in its entirety but the link is broken. (I have reported it a couple of times. :-\ )

I really like the game universe and its history. I use the word like in its present tense because I'm not done with it. I will always find ways to return to my characters or to the world of Primal Earth however I can, whether through short stories, pen and paper games, player-created content in other games, and remaking my characters in games like Heroes and Villains, Valiance Online, and City of Titans.

I remember the night that I first installed the trial for City of Heroes, I started reading that history section while the game was downloading. I couldn't stop reading; then I read the other sections for lore like Geography and Know Your Adversary. I kept reading even after the game had finished updating. I was fully sucked into the game world before I ever logged in. And during that first year, I created and met characters who became more exciting to me than any major comic book character out there. The City of Heroes universe remains my favorite comic book universe.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 08:02:17 PM »
That's part of the reason I still edit the wiki - there's tons of stuff I didn't get to ingame, that adds to the lore / story of the game.

I also really enjoyed the parts of the old story bible I've read so far. I just read Nemesis's section - it was great! Some of it isn't 100% accurate, since the story bible version we have was written in 2004, but it's still a good read, and provides many insights about the game's story.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:07:25 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13:27 PM »
Felderburg, I just went and found the entry for the lore bible in the Paragon Wiki. The page also includes a link to Positron and Co's AMA "loregasm". Thank you very much for getting that on there. Are you planning to put Posi and Co's second AMA session on there soon?

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 10:45:26 PM »
What? Second one!?!? Where!?

I haven't seen it, and the google doc hasn't been updated since he posted it in 2012. I don't follow Posi (or anyone) on anything social media wise.

Edit: Holy guacamole what he said he'd do one every year until questions stopped! http://www.onrpg.com/articles/editorial/city-of-heroes-9th-anniversary-loregasm/

Edit 2: I will read it and put it on the wiki. I should probably also add the Positron / Numina romance story, too: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ldiYao3KQPkZJW5QnqH3bR2V-6247dnUCbTmKcQ7MIE/edit

Edit 3: For those interested, the links on the wiki are: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Story_Bible

Vega

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 04:01:08 AM »
Thinking of CoV/H compared to the trash that exists now brings a tear to my eye.  Every bloody MMO is basically the same.  CoH was different. I miss the cities so much it makes me want to cry at times.  Hell, even my kids are nostalgic about it.