Author Topic: Dark Watcher Issue  (Read 4806 times)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
Dark Watcher Issue
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:09:00 AM »
I was reading the comics, and typed in "Dark Watcher" to the search and hit enter, thinking it would get me to his page. It got me to his Praetorian page instead, which is titled simply "Dark Watcher". The page titled "The Dark Watcher (Primal Earth)" links in the otheruses template to a page called "The Dark Watcher (Praetorian)". It is identical in every way to "Dark Watcher". The disambig page titled "The Dark Watcher" links to "Dark Watcher" as the Praetorian version. I suspect that the Praetorian version is called "Dark Watcher" in game, but I think that's confusing for the wiki - people doing as I did and typing it in expecting the Primal guy will be confused. I say "Dark Watcher" should redirect to the disambig page, and "The Dark Watcher (Praetorian)" should be the official Praetorian version article.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: Dark Watcher Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 05:21:46 PM »
Personally, I recommend naming the Praetorian article "Dark Watcher (Praetorian)" (since his in-game name doesn't have "The" in it). Then have "Dark Watcher" redirect to "The Dark Watcher".

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »
Yeah, I figured that was why that had happened. I've changed the Dark Watcher articles so that they all redirect to "The Dark Watcher" disambig, "The Dark Watcher (Primal Earth)", or "Dark Watcher (Praetorian)". I'm going through and changing things that used to link to what are now the wrong pages to the proper ones - I've actually found several that linked to just "Dark Watcher" from before GR that weren't changed, so now they properly go to the Primal version.

Edit: I also modified text on the three DW pages to note that the two contacts are the same guy - they are, right?

Edit: I found some dialog, they are.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:19:23 PM by Felderburg »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:41:20 PM »
Yes, he had always been a headache for me when trying to link to the proper version with/without "The", and (Primal) vs. (Praetorian) vs. <plain>. Thanks for taking the time to straighten it out.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 02:23:15 AM »
So in editing Dark Watcher's stuff, I also looked at the Contact Overview template (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Template:Contact_Overview). It looks to me like that template allows for contacts to be in multiple places (the 2 "hood" parameters). Is the reason he has been split because his Praetorian stuff is for Praetorians only, and his Rikti stuff is for H/V only? Because it sure would be nicer if all his stuff was on one page, so that people looking at his Praetorian missions wouldn't have to go to the Primal article for his detailed background (which could certainly be added to the Praetorian page, but it seems like that would be redundant).

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 04:11:17 AM »
Hey, my question in that last post is relevant again! Can we use Hood and Hood2 to combine the two Dark Watcher pages, seeing as he's one dude?

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »
I agree that it seems his articles should be combined because the Praetorian version is the Primal character. The Hood and Hood2 parameters would solve part of his identity crisis, although there would have to be some other modifying done to the article to accommodate the various different introduction texts. Maybe split the article into two halves with the first half being the Praetorian version and the second half being the Primal, simply because it'd be in level order?