Author Topic: Legal Stuff and Self Protection  (Read 4652 times)

silvers1

• Boss
Legal Stuff and Self Protection
« on: February 02, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »

I'm curious what each of the various project leads have thought about handling the inevitable lawsuits.

It wouldnt surprise me if NCSoft didn't come after you for IP infringement if even one aspect of the game looks remotely like CoH.
Then the lawsuits from Marvel and DC when some player creates "The Incredible Bulk" or "Duper Man".

They don't even have to win - just keep bringing legal action until you run out of money... they would view you as easy targets.

Are you thinking about joining with a large publisher or anything?   I just can't see a small group of fans/developers
being able to survive with the legal climate like it is today.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Legal Stuff and Self Protection
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 06:20:44 PM »
The NCSOFT portion, hopefully they can handle that. They said they can take them on, so I guess NCSOFT is not even an issue for them. According, if NCSOFt try to sue, it would only add more bad publicity for NCSOFT, and they will lose and it would be considered a frivolous lawsuit. And we all know NCSOFT care more about their saving face in US more than anything and fear angering us, the old COX community even more. Plus we have the court system on our side guaranteed against NCSOFT.  :p.

The player created characters, I guess that can simply be avoided if they stay on top of that stuff, at least the most obvious ones, and not ignore it only until a lawsuit paper work come down the line. Then try and scramble getting rid of those toons.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:15:56 AM »
The player created characters, I guess that can simply be avoided if they stay on top of that stuff, at least the most obvious ones, and not ignore it only until a lawsuit paper work come down the line. Then try and scramble getting rid of those toons.

Never really cared for reporting other players but I guess. This would be something us as a community would need to help with. Since there are only so many people on a Dev Team and so many waking hours. I'd hate to see on of the three projects go under because some troll was running around as the Purple Hulk or something.

I think they all have put a lot of time and effort into understanding what could cause a lawsuit, how to prevent it and what to do if it was to happen.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:05:09 PM »
I would think the existence of Champions and DCUO would be defenses against this.  Since CO is in gameplay essentially COH (with choices I find unacceptable... notably visual... which prevents it from being the creative medium that COH was) and given the dozens of other MMO's, what would be the basis for action?  As for "Purple Hulk", how does DCUO deal with it?
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 03:44:39 AM »
I would think the existence of Champions and DCUO would be defenses against this.  Since CO is in gameplay essentially COH (with choices I find unacceptable... notably visual... which prevents it from being the creative medium that COH was) and given the dozens of other MMO's, what would be the basis for action?  As for "Purple Hulk", how does DCUO deal with it?

Good point, I'm not sure how DCU deals with things like Purple Hulks lol. I'm assuming they have a staff of community managers that plays the game?

Either way, I was just throwing that out there. Like I said before, I'm sure the Dev teams of these projects have given this a lot of thought. So they probably have a good idea of how they'll handle these situations if there's need to.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 04:26:46 AM »

I'm curious what each of the various project leads have thought about handling the inevitable lawsuits.

It wouldnt surprise me if NCSoft didn't come after you for IP infringement if even one aspect of the game looks remotely like CoH.
Then the lawsuits from Marvel and DC when some player creates "The Incredible Bulk" or "Duper Man".

They don't even have to win - just keep bringing legal action until you run out of money... they would view you as easy targets.

Are you thinking about joining with a large publisher or anything?   I just can't see a small group of fans/developers
being able to survive with the legal climate like it is today.

That's what IP lawyers are for.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:22:32 AM »
As to Hulk types, my big, orange guy - named Big Orange Guy - brought no trouble at all in CoH. Same body type, but orange skin, shaggy brown hair, a loincloth instead of pants, and a battle axe. I guess it's in the execution.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 06:08:24 AM »
As to Hulk types, my big, orange guy - named Big Orange Guy - brought no trouble at all in CoH. Same body type, but orange skin, shaggy brown hair, a loincloth instead of pants, and a battle axe. I guess it's in the execution.

I can see ya getting away with that.

But some, it's very blatant. Green with the purple pants, named Hulkk. It's like some people do not even try to hide it. That stuff can bring trouble.

Last time only reason it got boloed was because come to find out the owner of the said IP in question was doing the creating showing that it could be done. I doubt they will make that same mistake and simple observe and record. And plus, who wants any game they play to get in trouble whether it's a little or lot because some pogue simply cant create their own toon, or at least add their own flavor to it. Like you Big Orange Guy. Sounds like at least ya tried to be somewhat creative with it and even if so, it looked like an accident. But some, where it's obvious it ain't no accident can trouble.

Side note I find it ironic how some want options to create their own toon and story and say they do not want to play another Hulk/Spiderman/Wolverine among other wolverines and where it's legal to do so, but they turn around and create the same stuff they claim they do not want to play or be. *shrug* I just do not understand it.

While I try not to report people, sometimes it's so obvious that it's like "come on guy, really?" Not to be a prick or anything but really, I would be pretty irked to find out a game got closed down because someone didn't even have at least the common courtesy to respect the rules and or lack so much creative ability they couldn't even simply make a Blue Hulk like creature that  or something and call it Barge or something. 

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 01:21:24 PM »

That, and while Marvel can copyright The Hulk, they can't really copyright "big angry guy in torn clothing" as a generic concept.

Those are images of the DC Comics character Blockbuster, not the Hulk.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »
That, and while Marvel can copyright The Hulk, they can't really copyright "big angry guy in torn clothing" as a generic concept.

Those are images of the DC Comics character Blockbuster, not the Hulk.

Whoops! Sorry there, DC - didn't know about him. Take out the torn shirt in the cartoon still, and there's actually quite a resemblance.

Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.