Author Topic: Naming suggestion  (Read 5469 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Naming suggestion
« on: February 13, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »
CoH let us choose to have a toon's name start with the word "The", but didn't distinguish as to when inclusion of "The" was appropriate: an NPC talking to a hero names "The Sword" might say to him, "Good work, The Sword!" I'd like to request that, if possible, names be set up so that "The" is included when the toon is being talked ABOUT (as with NPC passers-by saying, "The Sword rescued my cousin!"), and omitted when the toon is being talked TO.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
Re: Naming suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:53:43 PM »
wow,that's a great idea!
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 06:46:17 PM »
But please, to all Plan Z developers, don't spend one minute on this at the expense of delaying delivery by one minute.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 12:34:06 AM »
But please, to all Plan Z developers, don't spend one minute on this at the expense of delaying delivery by one minute.

Fair enough, being that it's a "quality of life" request dealing with game immersion. I, myself, keep wanting to post messages here, saying, "Come ON, guys! Hurry up, and give us our new homes, already!" It can be included in the first post-release patch.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:35:48 AM »

A better solution might be to have your full "formal name" and then a conversational "nick name" that you can specify in a seperate text box.

i.e.  Captain America  vs "Cap"

Would allow for more flexibility than just specifying a word like "The" as a prefix.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »
A better solution might be to have your full "formal name" and then a conversational "nick name" that you can specify in a seperate text box.

Would allow for more flexibility than just specifying a word like "The" as a prefix.

I like that and it sounds doable:  Hello <formal name here> we have a mission for you.  Watch out on this one <informal name> it may be rough.

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 04:38:40 PM »
Plus you could have a lot of fun with it if you wanted ... formal name "Captain Amazing" informal name "Squeeky"

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 05:31:09 PM »

I posted that idea on CoH's forum, suggesting three name inputs: the full name, that would be used by passers-by, and by NPCs seeing you for the first time ("So, you're Sgt. Sam Hill. Good to meet you."); an informal version, used by NPCs in most situations ("Nice work, Sgt. Hill; you really showed them!"); and a nickname (such as Sam or Sarge, for the above Sgt. Hill), to be used by really familiar, "friend" NPCs.

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:51:14 PM »
This sort of thing seems like it wouldn't require a lot of resources if started early enough in the design process that they didn't have to go back in and add additional "handles" to pull up these text strings.  I like the idea (similar to my suggestion to have base names)!

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 02:47:11 AM »
This sort of thing seems like it wouldn't require a lot of resources if started early enough in the design process that they didn't have to go back in and add additional "handles" to pull up these text strings.  I like the idea (similar to my suggestion to have base names)!

If they let us select 'The' or similar titles from a drop down list then the system would always know when not to use it.

Also, please allow us all to make whatever names we want and only need 1 unique global name. That's probably the best part of cruptic's games.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »
Yeah, no.

Gotta disagree on that last point.  I don't ever wanna see a character with the same name as me.  If that means I have to spend more time in naming, so be it.

I liked a lot of the names I eventually came to use in CoH MORE than the original name that was already taken because I had to think about it and plan it out more.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:15:37 AM »
Hey, maybe four names
Formal Full Name,
Informal Name,
Close Friends Name, and
You screwed up name.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 12:08:42 PM »

It's a trivial thing -- MUD coders figured this out DECADES ago, along with using appropriate pronouns.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...